Mosel & Rhein from Luxembourg - Belgium

Jul 30th, 2000, 03:48 PM
BillJ

Mosel & Rhein from Luxembourg - Belgium

After spending many days in Belgium and Amsterdam area (primarily for flowers) next April, we will be travelling south through Ardennes to Luxembourg. After a couple of days, planning to drive into Germany from Trier to Koblenz, stay 2 or 3 nights at Castle Schoenburg at Oberwesel. Then return to USA from Frankfurt. A few questions for those out there with thoughts or suggestions.
1) Michelin Green book says drive from Trier to Koblenz is 195 km, and to allow 1 day. This really looks like an interesting drive, could maybe come back to places like Eltz next day. Too long, too short? Can we drive from Trier to Oberwesel in one day?
2)Departure day, plane leaves Frankfurt about 10am. Is there enough time to drive to the airport, return the car, catch the plane, from Castle Schoenburg? Don't really want to stay in something near the airport just to be close, but . . .
3) Looks like 3 nights at Schoenburg would give us enough time to see the region. Boat cruise worth it? Any thoughts.
Thanks in advance.

Jul 30th, 2000, 04:21 PM
Peter

1) Yes, you'll have plenty of time to make that trip in one day. Its actually just about 3 to 4 hours non stop along the Mosel. Stop in Cochem and in Koblenz and from Koblenz to Oberwesel (Schoenburg ) its less than an hour. You can fit Burg Eltz in if its not to crowded. From the parking area to the burg is a 20 min. walk down a very steep paved road.
2)No problem if your early risers! It takes about an hour if you have no delays, meaning NO Delays. Since you need to be there at least one to two hours ahead of time, lets say 08:30, you will need to leave the hotel I'd say no later than 06:30. Remember Frankfurt is one of Europes largest metropolitan areas.
3)The Bingen to Koblenz boat trip or reverse is really the best choice and since your hotel is in the middle you can take a train back to your hotel.
Enjoy,
Peter
P.S. I just returned from 7 yrs. in Germany. Thats right s-e-v-e-n!

Jul 31st, 2000, 04:25 AM
Tony

Bill.

Don't miss that drive down the Mosel from Trier to Koblenz !! The guide book probably says to allow one day, because they know you will keep wanting to stop to soak it all in (and not just the wine!).
Don't miss the Rhine cruise either, at least between Rudesheim/Bingen and Boppard, if time does'nt permit continuing on to Koblenz.
I think Peter covered all the rest, except I would point out that Frankfurt airport is well to to the West of the city itself, which makes your journey there slightly easier, as you will be approaching from the West. I'm sure your hotel will be able to tell you the best way to go and what time to leave.
Incidentally it is worth scheduling at least a few hours in Luxembourg on the way to Trier. Quite an interesting city.

Jul 31st, 2000, 02:52 PM
Ann

Bill,
What a wonderful plan. We have stayed at Schonburg many times our final night in Germany, and you should have no problems if you follow Peter and Tony's timetables. You can easily and quickly drive from Trier to Oberwesel in a day, but I fear you will wish you had allowed two or three days. Burg Eltz is one of the nicest tours because the burg is so "real" (as opposed to the glitzy Ludwig palaces), and the many picturesque wine villages along the Mosel will beckon you to stop. Feel free to email or post back if you decide you would like to stop enroute.. I just returned from the Mosel after having lived there for seven years and can give you lots of lodging ideas.

Aug 5th, 2000, 07:49 AM
tim

We just returned from Germany after staying about 10 days in the Nahe valley. The Rhine river cruise was well worth the trip. We cruised from the town of Bingen to Koblenz and took the train back to Bingen. This trip allows you to stop and catch the next ship coming by. We used KD cruise lines and the trip went very well. We left at 9:15A.M. and arrived in Koblenz at 6:00P.M. after stoppin in St. Goar for several hours. We had to walk about 15 minutes to the train station in Koblenz and the train ride was about an hour. It cost us DM 55
per person including the train ticket which they issued at the boat dock. for anyone 12 and under the cost was DM 5 but you had to purchase a train ticket on your own at the train station.

Aug 6th, 2000, 04:35 PM
William

Be sure to spend some time in Trier. It's the oldest town in Germany, and has a number of Roman ruins (the view from the Porta Nigra is great). The weather shouldn't be too bad, but prepare for rain (I lived in Trier for a year, and it rains A LOT. It's a city full of churches, too, and the locals say if it isn't raining then the church bells are ringing, and vice versa). I'm not sure when Easter falls in 2001, but if you find yourself in the Mosel Valley you will run across several Fasching (Carnival) celebrations - parades, costumes, music, and wine. And beer.
Burg Eltz is amazing, too, and worth the visit. As said in previous postings, Cochem is really sweet. It's a nice area of Germany. Enjoy.

Aug 6th, 2000, 04:45 PM
BillJ

Thank you one and all. This is incredibly helpful. I have just reserved Schoenburg, will chance the departure day dash to the airport, take the Rhine cruise, and plan a little more time getting there through the Moselle Valley. I will post the "almost final" itinerary soon for all to critique. Thanks again. BillJ