Moscow theatre/arts/music

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 08:59 PM
gerrit

Moscow theatre/arts/music

I will be in Moscow during September, and wish to enjoy some of its cultural highlights in addition to the Touristy thing. Which symphony hall/theatre is the City's most impressive? What is the cost for a typical event at the Bolshoi theatre? What was your most impressive experience in the City with respect to its cultural offerings? Thx.

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:19 PM
Marc David Miller

The Bolshoi is the nicest, grandest theatre in Moscow, but I am not sure if it will be open in September (renovations will start sometime soon).<BR><BR>www.bolshoi.ru<BR><BR>Tickets for foreigners generally run $50 or so for reasonable seats--don't try to sit in the second row of the balconeys as you won't see anything. <BR><BR>There are numerous smaller concert halls--I stumbled into one a block from the Bolshoi in 1999 that was presenting an opera that I had wanted to see since I was a child.<BR><BR>You can look at<BR><BR>www.TheMoscowTimes.com<BR><BR>and for entertainment<BR><BR>www.tmtmetropolis.ru/index.html<BR><BR>(although the listings generally aren't more than a week out).<BR><BR>Hotels can book the tickets to the Bolshoi, but are notorious at being clueless about the second-tier theatres beyond "folk shows". Some of the more obscure places are Scriabin Hall (home of Alex. Scriabin) which had concerts on Wednesday evenings, the Glinka Music Museum Hall, the Russian Army Theater (a great examble of Stalinist architecture), Tchaikovsky Concert Hall, Tchaikovsky Conservatory, Stanislavsky and Nemirovich-Danchenko Musical Theater. There is also a great concert hall in the Kremlin that has some good ballet (although usually with recorded music).<BR><BR>Most of the secondary halls can be booked through street kiosks (good luck if you don't know any Russian) and are far lower priced than the Bolshoi (no foreigner/Russian tiering in the pricing). <BR><BR>In Moscow you can use Patriashy Dom as a tour company: <BR><BR>www.russiatravel-pdtours.netfirms.com <BR><BR>They run many daily excursions at reasonable prices--their guides are very good, especially Felix Meltser (I took about 15 tours with him in the last few years). You can also hire their guides privately, and get the guide to assist you with purchasing tickets. Many of their programs are music-related (not concerts, but tours of sights related to great musicians).<BR><BR>That all said, the Bolshoi is purely hit-or-miss with regards to both opera and ballet--the Mariinsky in St Petersburg led by Valery Gergiev has really taken the Bolshoi's place as Russia's premier music venue. Hopefully things will improve after the theatre's renovations.<BR>

Old Mar 8th, 2002, 09:20 PM
Marc David Miller

If you are in NY try to catch Gergiev's War and Peace--it is spectacular!

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 05:37 PM
Gerrit

For the information of those interested, I have communicated with the Bolshoi Theatre, and they have advised me that in approximately a months time, one will be able to book and purchase tickets to the Bolshoi theatre via the internet (www.bolshoi.ru)

Old Mar 13th, 2002, 06:03 PM
Ben Haines

There's a weekly list online of cultural events in Moscow. http://www.expat.ru/, then Arts Calendar<BR><BR>Ben Haines, London