Moscow - taxes at National Hotel?

Nov 26th, 2003, 06:44 PM
Original Poster

Moscow - taxes at National Hotel?

Checking the website for Le Meridien National Hotel in Moscow, rates show they are "exclusive of 26% tax". Is this the norm for Moscow? I generally think of Europe as being "inclusive" in their rates. Thanks for helping!!
Nov 27th, 2003, 05:49 AM

Have stayed at National several times. Recently, stayed at another hotel very near the National. Just went to check my hotel invoice from that hotel and the additional VAT and sales tax accounted somewheres in the area of an additonal 26-28% over and above the stated room rate. I'd say yes to your question, it seems to be the norm for Moscow. I can dig out some recent older invoices(6 months or so old) from the National and compare if you would like me to.
Nov 27th, 2003, 06:39 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Firstmate, for your reply. Checking other hotels, this rate seems to be common. Not that it will keep me from going to Moscow. And I know the included VAT in Western Europe is probably that, but just seeing that high number made my eyes pop out! Happy Thanksgiving from Austin, Texas!
Nov 27th, 2003, 06:44 AM

Sometimes the tax is included, watch when you book. Also sometimes visa registration may be added to your bill.
Nov 27th, 2003, 06:55 AM

I just checked the National Hotel on all-hotels.ru and they show VAT 20% and breakfast included. Also you sometimes have an additional tax for use of credit card.
Nov 27th, 2003, 07:15 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Garfield. I'll check that website. I was going with the Le Meridien website directly. It will be interesting to compare prices, one with and one without included tax.
Nov 27th, 2003, 07:20 AM

Kopp you are gonna enjoy Moscow very much. Good Luck. I may be there myself in a few weeks and always look forward to returning. As per Garfield, breakfast in many cases is in fact included, but not always. I have never to my knowledge been charged extra to use a credit card, and have never to my knowledge been charged extra for registration of my visa.
Make sure you take your passport and visa with you if you venture outside. It is not uncommon, to be asked to show your documents to a Russian policeman.
Nov 27th, 2003, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for all the comments. They are really appreciated. We're heading to Moscow in late April, so I have lots of time to look through all the comments on this board re Russia.

I checked the all-hotels.ru prices, and they do indeed include breakfast and taxes; however, their rates are about the same as the hotel direct website for the National Hotel if you add taxes/breakfast to those rates. But that all-hotels looks like a good place to do research. So thanks!!!

My mother's parents fled from Russia during the Revolution. We've toured St. Petersburg, and now Moscow in April. Can't wait!!

Jan 20th, 2004, 08:47 PM

Please give me the National Hotel's web site address. We are staying there for 4 nights in August. Hope the rooms will be nice. If you stayed there; tell me about it.It is difficult to ride the subway? Is it pretty safe and are the stops easy to find?
Jan 20th, 2004, 09:22 PM

Web site is: http://www.national.ru/english/