Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

london hotel : Montcalm or Thistle Bloomsbury?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1st, 2003, 01:14 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My husband and I are planning our first trip to London (8 nights) for early September. We've narrowed down our hotels to the Montcalm and the Thistle Bloomsbury. The Montcalm is a little more expensive, but if that means a bigger room, more amenities, etc... I did a search for the Montcalm but only found one old thread. Any one else have any experience with the Montcalm? Thanks!
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:00 AM

Hi Kathy,

I noticed you got no response so am really just "topping" your question (I've not stayed at either place). I did a web search & you're right, there's not much info on the Montcalm. However, what I did see is the Montcalm is listed as a 4* while the Thistle Bloomsbury is 3*. Also, the price of the Montcalm seems to be MUCH more $ than the TB (saw an orbitz ad for TB "prices from $79/night" while the Moncalm seemed to be over $200) so if you found a place where it's only "a little more..." it might be a good deal.

You might want to plot the 2 on a map with sights that interest you. The TB is closer to the theaters & Covent garden-the Montcalm near Marble Arch is closer to shopping.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:15 AM

Kathy, I'm not sure what rates you are looking at for these two hotels, but just out of curiosity, I went to londontown.com and put in a date of 2 Sept. and came up with a deluxe double room at either the Millenium Bailey's or Millenium Gloucester Hotel for 72 pounds (plus VAT). This rate does not include breakfast, but seems very reasonable for these hotels that are favorites with Fodorites. The Copthorne Tara was also listed at 68 pounds.

All of these hotels are in good locations are are shown to be 4*.
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 05:42 AM

The Copthorne Tara Hotel is a great choice for that price I stayed there for alot more. Good location Kensington High street tube is around the cornner. lots of good restaurant shopping Marks And Spencer ,Boots, safeway ect
Old Jul 2nd, 2003, 09:13 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the responses. I found a good rate for the TB on londontown.com, but the Montcalm was part of Virgin Atlantic package that sounded a bit too good to be true: 7day/6nights at the Montcalm including airfare came to a mere $1888! So I thought I'd check out the Montcalm as well. I have been leaning towards the Bloomsbury area though based on a recommendation from a friend. How would Bloomsbury compare to South Kensington? Thanks again for the advice!