Reload this Page >

Moscow or St.Petersburg Anyone?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 1997, 07:07 PM
Marsha Johnston

Am considering Moscow and St.Petersburg in late October or early November. Any experience on either at any time of the year?

Old Aug 28th, 1997, 04:25 PM
Roberta A. Saragiotto

I was in both cities in August 97. It was hot and umid. Stayed at the Prebaltiskaya Hotel, which is too big and badly located. The city is very nice, though, and you shouldnīt miss the Hermitage Museum and the palace of Peter, the Great. In Moscow, I stayed at the Aerostar Hotel, very nice and with a great breakfast buffet. Itīs about five km. from "Red Square" and you can easily use the subway, if you can manage reading the signs in their peculiar alphabet. Try to go to the ballet and to the circus, itīs un unique experience.

Old Aug 28th, 1997, 05:01 PM
GG

I've been to both cities twice, once in November and once in April. November was cold but we had no ice or snow. There are many fascinating sites in both cities, several of which have been mentioned in the previous posts. In addition, I enjoyed the Armoury Museum in Moscow, and in St. Petersburg the Peter and Paul Fortress, St. Isaac's Cathedral, Tsarskoye Selo (Pushkin) and Catherine the Great's Summer Residence. Also, out of the central city near the airport is a large monument and museum commemorating the defenders of the 900-day German siege of Leningrad when over 1 million died. Even though the film and the exhibits are all in Russian, it is very moving.

Old Sep 1st, 1997, 11:39 PM
Rene McDaniel

I visited St. Petersburg and Moscow in June which was great! We had great weather, the days were long and it was easy to be out sightseeing until after midnight! After the incredible sights and beauty of St. Petersburg, Moscow simply could not compare. The Kremlin, Red Square, Armory, etc. were great tourist sites... but St. Petersburg (not Moscow) is the city I hope I will be able to return to again!

Old Sep 11th, 1997, 08:12 PM
Betty

I just returned from a trip to Russia. Since the others have focused on the sites, I will discuss surviving a visit to Russia (outside of the weather, of course). Pay extra for deluxe accomodations! For the most part, tourist facilities are not up to western standards and you will be very disappointed with accomodations if you go discount. Bring your own bath towel(s). Russian towels are small, old, raggedy, and really scratchy. Bring toilet tissue. Russian toilet tissue is like sand paper. Always carry toilet tissue or Kleenex with you. Their public restrooms are in very poor condition and toilet paper is very often unavailable. Also, when on the road traveling between cities, a rest stop toilet will be an 8'deep hole in the ground with a wooden hut built over it for privacy. You may prefer taking a stroll into the surrounding woods and finding a nice bush. Don't drink the water, especially in St. Petersburg. Avoid Smolensk. There is only one motel there and "dump" would be too complimentary a description of the place. Lock your clothing inside your suitcase if you leave your room. Items have a habit of disappearing. Credit cards are not widely accepted and travelers checks may be difficult to cash except at the larger hotels. Recently printed hard currency can be easily exchanged. Many merchants will only accept rubles. Wear a money belt to carry your cash. If you go out at night, go with a friend or group. Not too many people speak English so make sure you take your hotel card out with you when you go exploring so you can just show it to a taxi driver if you get lost. Fresh fruit and vegetables will be difficult to find, especially in winter. Take your time to enjoy the sites - there is a lot to see!

Old Sep 12th, 1997, 06:36 PM
Cynthia

I was in Moscow and St. Pete on business in 1989. I'm sure things have changed a lot since but I came away from the experience feeling exhilerated and disgusted at the same time. There are so many people living in poverty, and then there is the incredible wealth found in the Hermitage. That should not be missed. Also, I was one of the only people in my group who did not find any belongings missing upon departure. I packed up all of my belongings every time I left the room and locked the suitcases. Also, take plenty of "gifts" with you. I brought panty hose, makeup, ink pens, blank cassette tapes, candy,(you are going near Halloween time and can buy the small individually wrapped stuff to give away). There will probably be a hall lady on every floor of your hotel. Her job is to make sure you do not walk out of the hotel with your room key. The keys are usually attached to a bowling ball to discourage that practice. Every day present her with some of your candy, cigarettes, etc. And leave some for the maid. It will really be appreciated and your stuff should be safe. These people have very little and these seemingly ordinary things are treasures. I used to give the candy out to children on the street, too. That was a big hit. Enjoy your trip and be careful.

Old Oct 3rd, 1997, 07:09 AM
Walter Jacques

I've been in Moscow in late November, July, August, and in St. Pete in Nov. It can get pretty cold - bring really well insulated shoes.

Try not dress like a 'Westerner'. You'll do much better. Find some old black corduroys, nondescript shoes, an old coat, and try to blend in.

There's an outstanding market in Moscow at the Ismailovsky Park metro station on weekends. Take the blue line that extends to the northeast. Follow the crowd. You'll be very glad you went - it's a sensory explosion, and you'll get the best buys there. Also, I recommend the VDNX metro station, where you can see all the old propaganda statues - they're awesome. And there's an amazing monument to Yuri Gargarin (1st man in space) just south of the Leninskij Prospekt metro station.

Have a great time. Let me know before you go - maybe you can carry a couple of letters for me and meet my very nice friends - it'd be a great experience. Don't be afraid to meet the locals - it will change your life.

Walter Jacques
[email protected]

Old Oct 3rd, 1997, 05:40 PM
gary kingery

I was in Moskow in July and stayed at the Interpol hotel. IT IS EXPENSIVE BUT WORTH IT. Every one speaks English and you do worry about food or water.( We rented a car and guide in Moskow and saw about everything.) It is around the corner from red square and the ballet. It has an indoor pool and a great ball room to dine in. We also went a 4 day cruise to Kostroma and back on the Volga river. We were there attending a symposium on neuro trauma sponsored by the Russians. We really did enjoy it. My 14 yr old son went and fell in love with it. He cant wait to go back. If anyone goes to Kostroma please e mail me.