Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Moscow & St. Petersburg: Help! I'm scared!

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 7th, 1998, 09:52 PM
David Powell

I'll be traveling from St. Pete. to Moscow by train and I've heard horror stories. Any accounts out there? Also, traveling and staying in Russia in general. Thanks!

Old Feb 9th, 1998, 04:49 AM
Konstantin Kolovsky

I don't know, what kind of horror stories have you heard, but for me there is nothing horrorable to travel from St.Petersburg to Moscow by train. The trains are very reliable and more or less comfortable (if you wan't buy the cheapiest ticket). You'll get some food and a cup of tea aboard. And if you will take some common precautions (like locking the door for night and taking care of your luggage)nothing will happen with you. The travel takes usually 6-8 hours.
Good luck!

Old Feb 9th, 1998, 10:47 PM
Betty

A few safety tips: wear a money belt under your shirt and avoid walking on the streets alone at night, especially in Moscow. Lock your suitcase before you leave your hotel room. Clothes and things have a way of disappearing while you're out sight-seeing if you leave them out in the open. Always have your hotel card with you because you will need it to get back into the hotel and you can show it to a taxi driver if you need a lift and can't speak Russian. Relax, Moscow and St. Petersburg are no different than your average large city - lots of hustle bustle and pedestrians during the day. Just exercise the usual caution you would in any similar place and you'll do just fine! Other tips: bring your own bath towel, toilet paper, and "new" $USD. Credit cards and travelers checks are not widely accepted (except in larger hotels) and neither are old, crinkled dollar bills. I hope this helps!

Old Feb 10th, 1998, 06:32 AM
Konstantin

And one more tip for you from a Muscovite. Some places in Moscow (I mean restaurants, night clubs or so) are more than VERY EXPENSIVE - more than $200-300 per person. Take care about it before you'll decide where to go. As I know Peter is not so expensive.

Old Feb 10th, 1998, 06:25 PM
John

My Wife and I took the train from St. Petersburg to Moscow this summer and were pleasantly suprised. We had a 1st class compartment (only for two people) and felt very safe and secure. The train provided a box meal and even an intransit magazine in english just like the planes. They provide a door lock which provided extra security just in case.

The train left on time and actually arrived early in Moscow. I had read so many warnings about Russia and the train, but we took the standard precautions and had a great vacation.

Good Luck!

Old Feb 14th, 1998, 01:43 PM
David Powell

Thank you Konstintine, Betty, and John. I truly feel more comfortable now. Thanks! David.