Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Morocco to Seville, then where? Help me decide!Which order? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/morocco-to-seville-then-where-help-me-decide-which-order-874449/)

charron53 Jan 20th, 2011 02:40 PM

Morocco to Seville, then where? Help me decide!Which order?

I have posted several times on this forum and all have given great advice, Thanks.
We are a budget , fun loving 50's couple who travel to Europe every year.
We use public transportation- Hubby won't rent a car!
My plans are at this time i- April 20th-25th 2011- Marrekech(Royal Air Morac)
April 25th-April 30th Apartment in Seville (Ryan Air) side trips on train or bus to Cordoba, Rondo, etc. We want to spend a relaxing time in Seville is why we are staying so long.
April 30th-May 4th-This is my promblem we would like to spend 2 nights in Granada then 2 nights Segoria(we love it there) My question is what is the best order to do this and does the trains go straight to either Segovia or Toleda from Granada? I can't figure it out looking at the sites. Please all suggestions appreciated!
May 5th and 6th Toledo(we love it there!Have reservations but maybe go to Segovia first? Don't like to back track!
May 7th Madrid Hotel by Airport( Any suggestions?) - Hubby flying home and me to France for 1 week with friend.on the 8th.
Thanks so much, only 3 months to go!

librarychica85 Jan 21st, 2011 03:31 PM

I don't believe that there are direct trains to either Segovia or Toledo from Granada. Spain's bus system is somewhat more efficient/convenient than the trains, but even then I'm not sure if buses would go direct either. My opinion is that you're going to need to transfer somewhere, most likely in Madrid. If you check out Rail Europe's site, it's slightly less confusing than Renfe's.

No recommendations on hotels near Barajas, only in Madrid's city center.

Good luck!

traveltalesfromtheredheadedtraveler.blogspot.com/
(My travel writing blog!)

CathyM Jan 21st, 2011 07:18 PM

You'll be hard pressed to do a daytrip to Ronda from Sevilla using public transport - it's nearly 3 hours each way, a little long for me.

I don't know of any buses or trains that go from Granada to Segovia. Your best bet is probably to take the train from Granada to Madrid then Madrid to Segovia. It will be a long day. Same thing from Segovia to Toledo - you'll have to go via Madrid.

Have you considered taking the 4 nights for Segovia & Toledo and exploring some of the lesser known spots that are truly enchanting in Andalucia? For example, Ubeda/Baeza, Antequera, Osuna, Ecija, Cadiz, etc....or Malaga which isn't exactly unknown but is a great city and has good connections with Madrid for your final night. Just a thought...although I totally understand how you have "favorites" you really want to return to for a visit.

charron53 Jan 22nd, 2011 07:36 AM

Thanks for the responses so far. I had actually thought of going to Malaga for 2 days instead of Segovia. I can use all the suggestions as those 4 nights are up in the air at this time Cathy M.I also thought of taking 1 night from Sevile to stay in Rondo?
Librarychica85 I will check out the other site because I couldn't find another route without first going to Madrid.

Egbert Jan 22nd, 2011 09:55 AM

I agree with Cathy. I would not take a night off Seville for Ronda unless you want to be in what feels like a quiet village. Everyone is different and I love all of the late night activity and people watching, tapas bars etc. of Seville. Ronda is a beautiful place though and you can see it well by renting a car on your way out of Seville, stopping in Ronda for lunch and continuing on to Malaga. Malaga is great and there is a high speed train back to Madrid. If you do stay in Ronda I'd recommend the place built right into the gorge, can't remember the name.

Egbert Jan 22nd, 2011 09:57 AM

Oh I see hubby won't rent a car. There are buses to an from Seville-Ronda-Malaga too.

CathyM Jan 22nd, 2011 12:02 PM

I personally wouldn't take time out of Sevilla to visit Ronda. It's a wonderful time of the year to visit Sevilla and there are so many great day trips by public transportation. You could visit Ronda for 2 nights and Malaga for 2, giving up Segovia & Toledo. Or if your heart is set on at least 1 night in Toledo you could spend 3 nights in Malaga and make a daytrip to Ronda from there or alternatively visit Antequera.

charron53 Jan 23rd, 2011 01:24 PM

Sounds good!