Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Morning ferry to Paros from Santorini- return next evening?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 14th, 2010, 07:19 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We have booked 9 nights in Santorini beginning the last week in June through the 5th of July and are now thinking we might want to visit Paros to break up our stay. We'd like to take an early morning ferry from Santorini to Paros, then return the following evening, giving us two full days on Paros. Is anyone familiar with the ferry schedules? Right now the only ferry scheduled to leave Santorini is late afternoon (and only one returning the following day). I had read that more will get added. Just wondering if they normally have morning and evening trips. The day of the week we travel is flexible- we're just hoping to be able to spend two full days with only one night in a hotel so we really don't want to arrive too late in the day. We would like to book a particulat hotel, but first need to make sure that this plan is feasible.
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 07:45 PM

So far nothing is showing for a morning departure. Only time will tell. The earliest I'm seeing is a 12:00 Noon departure on the Hellenic Seaways FlyingCat4, arriving at Paros at 2:45pm. Take note of the no-sail dates: http://www.ferries.gr/hfd

The Blue Star ferry will depart Paros at Noon, arriving back to Santorini around 3:30pm. This will be every day in June.

http://www.bluestarferries.com/site/...?sel=624&loc=2
Old Feb 14th, 2010, 07:58 PM
Original Poster

Hi Brotherleelove-
That's what I thought. Hopefully more trips will be added to the schedule. We've booked accomodations in Oia for 9 days, which we'll be paying for, so I only want to be away for one night. We just thought we could get an opportunity to see a little bit of another island during our stay, and with the proximity of Paros, it seems like a good choice. I'll keep checking back on the ferry schedules.
Thanks so much!
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 05:19 AM

Sue, you're learning by experience why they call it Greek Island HOPPING, not Greek island "base-with-day-tripping"... the schedules are set up so that the best way to experience several islands is to stay at one for a bit and then move on. All too often people get excited about one destination and lock themselves into an accommodation that requires hefty pre-payment & no refunds. On these boards I always sound like a broken record -- figure out your itinerary, sequence and length of stay, and only THEN book your lodgings.

So, you'll have a chance to explore a small 12-mile-long island very thoroughly! Get those girls climbing up the hill to ancient Thira ... even tho Akrotiri is closed, go to the museum wih the 3-d exhibits bout it, and the Nomikos Conference Center that has the stunning re-creations of its murals, and the wall-size photographs of its discovery & excavation. Though the site is closed a drive down there may be worthwhile, because there's a beach. Go exploring in some groceries, and pack picnic lunches. Go to some inland towns where there are some ordinary Greeks not in the tourist industry. You'll have time; enjoy!
Old Feb 15th, 2010, 06:31 AM
Original Poster

I'm sure we'll have time to do a lot of exploring on Santorini - I've been there before and there is a lot to see. Actually, I don't mind using Oia as our base. We haven't had to pre-pay, and we're not locked into our reservations. We just love the place we've booked and it's less of an hassle to change our reservations. We'd still like to see another island we haven't been to before. If it's possible, we'll be away for one night- if not, that's ok too. Just doing a little research to see what our options are.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 06:30 AM

If you are not locked in, and intend to take a plane or ferry back to Athens after Santorini, why not simplify your life? Check out from Santorini 2 days early, go to Paros, and either fly or ferry back from Paros. NO Backtracking. Easier than what you are asking about.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 12:38 PM

Hi suefahy, I second travelerjan's suggestion. You might want to consider 6 and 3 nights. Or even 5 and 4? Paros, or Naxos, would be on your return route from Santorini to Athens. Otherwise, you might want to feel settled on Santorini. You could always just wait and see if you feel like wandering off for a day. I'd spend the money on a beautiful local boat ride rather than two of your days on a ferry with little time to get to know Paros. But that's just my opinion.
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 03:06 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll just have to wait until the ferry schedules come out. It would be great to see another island because who knows- it may be another 17 years before I can return!
Old Feb 16th, 2010, 03:37 PM

Received 22 Likes on 4 Posts
Spend time on Paros. We preferred our experience there to Santorini.