Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   MorganB we need your help!! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/morganb-we-need-your-help-628722/)

jbjayhawk Jul 5th, 2006 06:25 PM

MorganB we need your help!!

Morgan, Hello..I don't know what it is but we're still having problems ordering train tickets online (getting the print at home option). We're missing something as everyone makes it seem easy after reading your instructions. We're trying to get from Paris to Brugge on Sept. 20th & back to Paris on the same day. We can get tickets to Brussells following your instructions (print at home option) but can't print tickets from Brussells to Brugge. We're not accepting the insurance & we have France located as our pick-up location. I think we should buy the tickets to Brussells and then buy our tickets to Brugge at the train station either the same day or after we arrive in Paris. My husband is worried that the 1) the trains we want to take will be sold out and we'll be stuck in Brussells for a few hours (i.e we want a 9am train & the trains are sold out until 1pm -waisting some of the day) or 2) the rates will be a lot higher since we're buying at the last minute. A tour group would be a easy solution but we really want to go on our own we just can't get an option to print tickets from Brussells to Brugge & vice versa. Personally, I don't think the trains will be sold out & it will be easy to get a train to Brugge after we arrive in Brussells. Any advice is appreciated. Thanks for the help & patience!

jgg Jul 5th, 2006 09:38 PM

Call Budget Europe (BETS) at 1-800-441-2387. They will help you get the tickets and answer any other questions you might have. They are extremely helpful.

hanl Jul 5th, 2006 09:50 PM

hello,
I'm guessing that you can't print the tickets because both the departure and destination stations are in Belgium not France - and SNCF is the French rail service so it's logical it wouldn't be able to issue printable tickets outside its own network. You'll be able to buy tickets on the spot in Brussels - there are plenty of trains from there to Bruges. Or have a look at http://www.b-rail.be/main/E/index.php which is the Belgian rail site - it also issues tickets which you can print at home.

PalQ Jul 7th, 2006 12:01 PM

Note that Raileurope is having a 50% off full fare sale on Thalys trains (Paris-Brussels) so don't neglect calling them - or better BETS as recommended above as they are extremely helpful in my long experience using them.

Myer Jul 7th, 2006 12:24 PM

If I remember correctly, you don't buy tickets for Belgian trains for a specific day and time. Tickets are good for 90 days (?) from the start date.

It's possible that people will stand on a full train.

Now my question. You're going to Brugge and returning to Paris on the same day?

I hope you have a good, organized plan for Brugge as it's probably the most beautiful little city in Europe.

MorganB Jul 7th, 2006 01:43 PM

Hi just saw this! You can print like you have seen from Paris to Brussels. Brussels to Brugge is a commuter train that runs quite often, no reservations. I have taken it myself. Just buy your ticket at the station once you get to Brugge or try the link that Hanl provided.

By the way, as Hanl also said, you should only use the SNCF website for travel that originates in France. You can use it to buy the Brussels-Brugge leg but theres really no advantage to it and it keeps you from printing the ticket. Just buy your Thalys tickets online and then buy your Brussels -Brugge tickets either online from the belgian site or directly in the station. Have a great trip!

PalQ Jul 7th, 2006 01:52 PM

How about the ABS All Belgian Stations fare in conjunction with a Thalys ticket - wouldn't that be much cheaper than buying Brussels-Bruges?

jbjayhawk Jul 7th, 2006 04:03 PM

Thanks for the suggestions everyone! I think we will buy the Paris-Brussels leg on SNCF, then the Brussels-Brugges leg on the Belgium site (or just wait till we're there). We're a little concerned about waiting because we don't want to get shut out of tickets, but it sounds like that shouldn't be a problem. We'll let you know how it goes!

PalQ Jul 10th, 2006 11:09 AM

there is a few-times a week direct Paris-Bruges Thalys train

and the transit time Paris-Lille and Lille-Bruges is about exactly the same as Thalys via Brussels and perhaps cheaper as it's more direct. In any case if you got shut out of the more expensive Thalys Brussels rate you'd always get on the Paris-Lille TGV and then Lille-Bruges which doesn't even take reservations. Note the Lille-Bruges route often involves a painless change at Kortrijk i think - from one platform to another.