Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   More time in Rome or Florence? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/more-time-in-rome-or-florence-950566/)

ticadonnita Sep 15th, 2012 01:41 PM

More time in Rome or Florence?

I have planned most of our 3 week trip to Italy and would like opinions on spending an extra night in Florence ( We are booked for 4 nights) or Rome ( We are booked for 4 nights)?
We fly into Rome on morning of Oct. 8 and are there until the 11th when we take train to Venice and stay until the 14th where we take train to Florence and pick up a rental car for 9 nights in Tuscany area based in Gaiole where we can also drive to Perugia in Umbria . We will drive car back to Florence where will are booked for 4 nights from Oct. 23-26. Our flight leaves Rome on the morning of 29th, so I am deciding about staying in Florence an extra night or Rome. Thanks for imput.

Michael Sep 15th, 2012 01:52 PM

I would spend more time in Rome.

HappyTrvlr Sep 15th, 2012 01:55 PM

Rome.

vespacurves Sep 15th, 2012 01:56 PM

Rome repays all the time you spend in it, even if it is only to catch your breath, sitting at a cafe, having a glass of wine, enjoying the beautiful city as Romans enjoy it.

mamcalice Sep 15th, 2012 02:00 PM

While Florence my favorite city in Italy, I agree that you need more time for Rome. Florence is compact and you can easily reach the sights by walking. Rome is much more spread out so you will need more time to get around.

ticadonnita Sep 15th, 2012 02:01 PM

appreciate you quick replies.
I thought the first 2 1/2 days in Rome would be good to use the Roma Pass for public transport and 2 free admissions to Coloseum and 1 other.
I want to see the Vatican, Sistine Chapel, St. Peters, and wondering if we should go on a tour (never done that before) or buy the entrance ticket in advance and do it all on our own... probably for the whole day?
Any other don't miss? Spanish steps ... places we can just walk to once we come back on the 27 and 28. I am looking forward to sitting, the food , and the wine. :)

ellenem Sep 15th, 2012 02:07 PM

For me, if I had to return to Rome to fly home, I would put all my time in Rome at the end of the trip before departure to avoid a hotel change--though you may be unable to rearrange your bookings.

Oct. 8: arrive Rome; take train to Venice (3 nights)
Oct 11: train to Florence (4 nights)
Oct 15: drive to Tuscany (9 nights)
Oct 24: travel to Rome (5 nights)
Oct 29: fly home

Gwendolynn Sep 15th, 2012 02:11 PM

Don't forget the Pantheon. (Tho I don't think there's any admission price there.) Sitting in the square outside with a glass of wine and watching the world go by makes me feel like Audrey Hepburn in Roman Holiday.

ticadonnita Sep 15th, 2012 02:13 PM

Thanks, ellenem. I cannot change my bookings in Gaiole area of Tuscany. I have decided to leave Florence on the 27 on train for Rome to be there on the 27 and 28 enjoying all we did not get to do on the front end of our stay in Rome when we arrive on the 8th.

ticadonnita Sep 15th, 2012 02:17 PM

Wow,Gwendolynn. Thanks for that tip. We can pay to see the Pantheon and then enjoy the area outside. Watched Roman Holiday just the other night. Audrey Hepburn look like she was 15. That must have been one of her first movies. I remember it did say "introducing AH"

Gwendolynn Sep 15th, 2012 02:55 PM

Yes indeedy..... it was her first movie. AND... she won the Academy Award for that role!
But ....I.... remember Gregory Peck. Sigh. His character lived on Via Margutta and I always wanted to hunt it down. Tho I understand the movie turned it into a chic place to live.

As I said before... I don't recall paying to enter the Pantheon... but things do change.

vespacurves Sep 15th, 2012 03:17 PM

The via Margutta is not hard to find in Rome. It is right in the center, near the piazza del Popolo.

There is no fee to enter the Pantheon. It is a Catholic church (built on top of a pagan site).

kit Sep 15th, 2012 04:39 PM

I think you have great advice here; I am just "twelving" it! Florence and Rome will feel so different to you. But yes, spend the extra night in Rome, definitely, I'd say. (And know that you won't make a bad decision either way...)

ellenem Sep 15th, 2012 05:06 PM

f Tuscany is firme, then how about . . .?

Oct. 8: arrive Rome; take train to Venice (3 nights)
Oct 11: train to Florence (3 nights)
Oct 14: drive to Tuscany (9 nights)
Oct 23: travel to Rome (6 nights)
Oct 29: fly home

fewer hotel changes . . .

nytraveler Sep 15th, 2012 05:37 PM

Last suggestion is best IMHO. I love Florence but rome has much more to see and do.

ticadonnita Sep 17th, 2012 12:39 PM

Thanks for all your replies I live in Costa Rica and we were without internet for 2 days... Now going to book train from Firenze to Roma on the 27th...