More reports of luggage/pickpocket scams on popular train routes in Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27th, 2017, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A few days I posted a warning about thieves operating within Milano Centrale station who create a commotion or loud argument about where to put their luggage or your luggage, and then during the distraction, a traveler's wallet gets nicked.

Another new report in a different thread:

-----bbmomo2000 on Sep 27, 17 at 1:57pm
Unfortunately - wallet was gone by the time we reached Cinque Terre, Italy. Most likely happened in La Spezia train station - these are professional pickpockets - created a little commotion to distract you and asked you to help luggage or place your luggage in another place. While both your arms and hands were away from your body, they quickly searched over your body in a very CROWDED TRAIN. They got the wallet and left the train before you even settled down in your seat.
Lessons learned - avoid crowded train & be confident & don't ever let other people see you sweat!!----

I reposted this in its own thread because it was somewhat lost at the bottom of an old thread, and this is such a popular time for travel in Italy.

There is little you can do to avoid crowded trains, and the theft in the carriage of my train in Milano Centrale station happened in a nearly empty car.

This is a difficult situation, and your best defense is to make sure you have secured all your valuable in a money belt well-hidden on your person every single time you use the train system and are in train stations.

If people try to get you to move your luggage, or make you defend your luggage "spot", SLOW EVERYTHING DOWN AND BE ALERT. BE READY TO CALL FOR HELP, NO MATTER HOW EMBARRASSING. If you forgot to use a money belt, don't give away where your wallet is, but don't leave yourself vulnerable by filling up your arms with luggage if you've got your wallet in your pocket or purse. Be careful of other passengers who turn up to come to your "assistance".

If you end getting onto a very crowded train, take your time. Let other people pass you. Wave other people ahead of you. Keep your luggage on the floor until all other passengers are seated in the car and out of the aisles.

Again, money belts are a good investment. Don't let supposedly sophisticated travellers tell you "I've never worn one and I've been all over Europe, and never been pickpocketed." Not only are they possibly lying to you, they're idiots! Protect your trip.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 05:33 AM

massimop - you love to be dramatic.

The situation in Milano Centrale has never been as bad as in other stations such as Firenze, Roma Termini and Napoli. In fact things have improved even further since they introduced access to the zone where the tracks are (binari). But since you are registered only from February of this year you perhaps have no experience prior to that date.

Your comments about money belts is typically American. I have lived in Italy for over 35 years and have never had an issue with travelling on the Italian train system. The reality is that many Americans travelling in Europe illuminate themselves not only by the way they dress but also by their anxiety in protecting their possessions. This is so naive. When you approach a possible new client in business are you so unprepared?
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 05:42 AM
bvh

That's very strange. The post that is quoted here by the OP appeared in an old thread that was brought up just about an hour ago. Then the post was deleted from that old thread, and now it seems that old thread has been re-buried.

I found it in my history. Here it is:
http://www.fodors.com/community/euro...-as-i-read.cfm

Something very strange is going on here at Fodor's.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 06:11 AM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
That was a thread from <B>2009</B> so not sure why it was topped, but the moderators apparently wanted it to sink back where it belongs
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 06:16 AM
bvh

Yes, janisj, but the post that topped it is the very post that the OP here pasted. Very strange.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 06:17 AM
bvh

Maybe the OP is working for Fodor's?
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 07:49 AM

I'm one of those idiots who's been traveling on Italian trains (and buses and metros) for almost 25 years without having lost as much as a button.

For the past several years, Roma Termini also has limited access to the tracks. I'd heard of people in Rome trying aggressively to help you with your luggage, and then demanding a big fee, but never experienced it myself. It should be at least a bit harder for these people to prey on tourists now.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 08:05 AM

>>I'd heard of people in Rome trying aggressively to help you with your luggage, and then demanding a big fee, but never experienced it myself. <<

It happened to us. As we were getting ready to board a train in Milan, I walked away from my wife for a moment. The scammer apparently thought at that point that she was alone. He tried to scoop up her bag and load it onto the train (for a fee, of course). I ended the whole thing by telling him, loudly and in Italian, that he could go to hell -- well, actually, Naples -- if he thought I was going to give him any money.

But of course I'm not as sophisticated or urbane as some here.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 12:33 PM

"Again, money belts are a good investment. Don't let supposedly sophisticated travellers tell you "I've never worn one and I've been all over Europe, and never been pickpocketed." Not only are they possibly lying to you, they're idiots! Protect
your trip."

Who are you to call posters idiots AND liars

I have traveled by train in Spain, Italy, France, Germany, Croatia, Russia, UK..etc
Never had a problem . Would not wear a money belt if you paid me.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 12:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
After my experiences on the Côte d'Azur last October, I think using a money belt whilst travelling isn't such a bad idea.

Pickpockets tried to open my rucksack at least 3 times on the Promenade des Angles.

I was also targeted by a pickpocket crew in Beaulieu-sur-Mer.

Fortunately, my rucksack has a hidden compartment so thieves didn't get anything.

Yes, it can happen to you!

Thin
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 01:10 PM

In some of the crowds, it really would not be possible to catch a pickpocket or even monitor the people around you. I was on a Roman bus that was so packed that literally someone could have stuck their hand in my coats pocket and searched my purse simultaneously and I may not have noticed. There's no harm to having a moneybelt, and certainly it was a relief to have one in some of the more popular public spaces or buildings in Italy and Paris. I don't think the risk is the same everywhere, though. Scammers don't hassle you in Germany or London the same way they do in Paris or Italy.

I'd rather have peace of mind while sightseeing. A lack of money belt doesn't mean theft, but a money belt definitely means pickpocketing won't happen. You can replace your cards and passport but who wants to do that on vacation in a foreign country?
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 01:17 PM

nochblad, don't let massimo's registration date fool you.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 01:22 PM

Sorry you had an upsetting experience in Nice

I understand it can ( and does) happen , but I resent being called a lier.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 03:39 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
danon: >>Who are you to call posters idiots AND liars<<

>>but I resent being called a lier.<<

zeppole/sandralist/massimop has called more people worse things
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 09:04 PM

Moneybelts are fantastic. My husband wears one. We were in Barcelona about 8 feet off the main drag (my fault, I was reminiscing) and 4 ladies of the night-ish thieves were all over him. I clutched my purse and yelled. He just thought he was being groped... groin, thump on chest, they disappeared. ANYWAY... they got money tucked into one of those "secret" zip compartments on his jacket, but nothing else. Everything valuable was in the moneybelt, which he attaches to his belt and tucks into his pants.

Only time we've been robbed and we travel ALL the time... pooh pooh pooh. Big fan of money belts.
Old Sep 27th, 2017, 10:45 PM

So Americans are supposed to go to Europe and buy a whole new wardrobe so as to blend in? Maybe one new wardrobe for each country or even city/town? Also a large plastic-sided suitcase also to blend in.

And one example of not being pickpocketed proves nothing.

I too am a fan of money belts. Just keep a days' cash in a pocket. So that's all you can lose.
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 02:36 AM

>>So Americans are supposed to go to Europe and buy a whole new wardrobe so as to blend in?<<

No. Just a rakishly worn scarf will do the trick. It's especially effective in warmer temperatures when there's absolutely no practical reason to wear one.
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 05:22 AM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Any time you are in a crowded place near tourist areas or on trains, keep the important stuff hidden whether in a money belt or somewhere else.
This past trip,I had a bra safe. I used it everywhere we went. I had a credit card and a larger euro bill in it. Now if someone were feeling me up, I would know it! LOL
Everything except a few euros in my purse was back in the hotel safe. DH carried no money and no ID.

We traveled on the trains through Italy a few years ago and did not have any problems, but I am sure it happens.
I am usually in hyper alert mode when in areas that are packed with people.

>>So Americans are supposed to go to Europe and buy a whole new wardrobe so as to blend in?<<

I was told in order to blend in, wear black and never wear sneakers.
Well, I wear sneakers and so does almost everyone else I walk by, who is also probably a tourist. With all the walking on cobblestone streets, I want to be comfortable.

And as vincenzo says, a scarf never hurts too!
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 05:40 AM
bvh

"I was told in order to blend in, wear black and never wear sneakers."

If only that made any sense.
Old Sep 28th, 2017, 03:11 PM

Girlonthego, how did you use your credit card?? I've seen those bra pouches and they look like a clever way to hide a few small things but I can never figure out, logistically, how I would retrieve something without flashing half the country.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -