Notices

More questions for Slojan

Nov 26th, 2005, 10:22 AM
Original Poster

More questions for Slojan

Jan,
I received a map from the tourist board and mapped out a basic itenerary but I'm unsure where we should stay and where we should just explore on our way. We would prefer to backtrack a little rather than pack / unpack every day. With that in mind, here is our intial plan:
Venice to Piran - Stay 1 night
Prian to Ljubljana Stay ?? nights
Ljubljana to Logarska Dolina - stay for ???
Logarska Dolina to Bled - explore or stay?
Bled to Kranska Gora via Vrsic Pass -stay or explore?
Kranska Gora to Dobrovo - stay at Belica Hotel / winery
Dobrovo to Venice

Are there places we should "not miss" between Prian and Ljubljana? How about between Logarska Dolina and Bled? Should we backtrack towards Ljubljana or go over the twisty road between Solcava and Jerzesko? Should it be in decent condition in early May?

We have 7 - 9 days for the Slovenia portion of the trip. I certainly appreciate all your help! It's difficult to tell how long it will take to get from point to point without not knowing the geography or road conditions.

Thanks again... Tana

Nov 27th, 2005, 08:02 AM

ttt for tana
Nov 30th, 2005, 09:40 PM

Hi Tana,
It's early here but I will give you some quick thoughts now and probably come back with more.

1st) I think I would recommend doing a day trip to Piran. It is tiny and you only need one day. It is a short 45 -1 hour drive from LJ unless you go May 1st, which is a holiday.
2) Stay in LJ while you go to Bled. Again, it is about 45 minutes drive and easy. Recommended restaurants would be Topolino and Lectar (which is actually in a town right before Bled)
3) Logarska Dolina is about a 2 1/2 hour drive so stay there. How long depends on how much you like the outdoors. This is a beautiful place, but strictly for those who appreciate nature. Maybe 2 nights?
4)Drive over the Vrsic pass, having lunch in Kranjska Gora beforehand. Stay a couple of nights in Bovec or Kobarid area. Hike and see the WW1 museum. It will be a good season for white water rafting as well. Lots of water in May!
5)From there, it is an easy drive to the Goriska Brda winery area.

The roads will be fine in May. Between Piran and LJ, you may want to see the Lipica farms and the Postojna (or Skocjan) caves. They are fascinating. Very touristy but still interesting. Also Predjama Castle (which is right behind Postojna).
There isn't much between LJ and Logarska Dolina. It is a beautiful drive though. Ptuj and Maribor are interesting but not must sees. I would also stay on the twisty roads, just to get a feeling of the country.

Hope this helps!
Cheers,
Jan
Dec 2nd, 2005, 08:16 AM
Original Poster

Jan,
This is exactly what we were looking for! We are so excited for this trip and appreciate your insight.
Thanks again... Tana

Search this Thread