Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   More Fun and Games with the English Language (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/more-fun-and-games-with-the-english-language-427201/)

elle Apr 30th, 2004 05:54 PM

More Fun and Games with the English Language

You simply must check out the web site for Stephen Fry's forthcoming movie about the Jazz Age--Bright Young Things.

http://www.brightyoungthingsthemovie.com/

Check out the "splendidiser", a name-generator-type-thingy that transforms ordinary English into Jazzspeak.

If you insert the Fodors url, you can "splendidize" the home page.

Or, try it with some posts.

The sentence "Before he left for France, Ira thought he'd do some weeding. As a result, he's in Paris with a case of poison ivy" was splendized into this:

"Before the dashing fellow left for France, Ira thought he'd do some weeding, and I think it's utterly splendid. Now see here--as a frightfully divine result, the blasted fellow's in Paris with a shriekworthy case of poison ivy."

Too, too amusing!

cigalechanta Apr 30th, 2004 06:03 PM

I say, I think you've got it, Ms Doolittle

Scarlett Apr 30th, 2004 06:04 PM

Thank you elle, Ever so much!
I have bookmarked this so it is terribly handy when I need some instant splendidizing!
Charmed, I am sure, Scarlett

StCirq Apr 30th, 2004 06:12 PM

I have a sudden urge to splendidize everything! Thank you, elle - an editor's dream site!

levon Apr 30th, 2004 06:13 PM

Mildly amusing... it's a real shame it has no real connection to EUROPEAN TRAVEL.

Killjoyingly yours,

levon

Scarlett Apr 30th, 2004 06:16 PM

This really, really is, and I don't mean to be bogus, splendid.
It's just too too.
Now see here - can behaving in a blasted splendid manner be far behind?

I have definitely been Splendidized!

StCirq Apr 30th, 2004 06:19 PM

It will be immeasurably useful for people posting trip reports, therefore TOTALLY related to European Travel, killjoy.

Scarlett Apr 30th, 2004 06:26 PM

levon,
TRAVEL:

Stephen Fry is English.
Now see here - the ghastly film is, in a simply too divine tasteful way, English .
Look here, if one does not live in England, it would be about travel. Good heavens!
My dear child, splendid travel . Now see here - splendid England.

Sorry, once you have been slendidized, it is quite difficult to NOT be splendid.

elle Apr 30th, 2004 06:30 PM

Now see here, you horrid, horrid man!

I daresay the divine Fodorites often receive dratted inquiries regarding books and movies to get one in the mood for travel to particular spot, old sport.

So, for Evelyn Waugh fans (the movie is based on <i>Vile Bodies</i>), here's another mood-setter that's frightfully cunning.

cigalechanta Apr 30th, 2004 06:32 PM

fresh it! Love is a many splendid thing!

Croque_Madame Apr 30th, 2004 06:59 PM

Ah, but don't you realize, you silly darlings, that I have always spoken this way? How could I not, when it's all just too, too divine? It's only for purposes of beastly brevity that I de-splendidize prior to posting.

Seamus Apr 30th, 2004 07:10 PM

Odds jolly bodkins, I have rather just become accustomed to being sordidly flawless, and you conniving cads display the unbridled temerity to demand that I now must become splendid? Harumph!

cigalechanta Apr 30th, 2004 07:26 PM

A Question: Do you guys really believe Brits talk like that?

Scarlett Apr 30th, 2004 08:12 PM

Mimi, my darling dear one, only Splendid Brits and other Charming and Witty folk, speak in such a Splendid Manner~

cigalechanta Apr 30th, 2004 08:17 PM

In the immortal words of Steve Marten....EXcuze-me!!!!....:)

cigalechanta Apr 30th, 2004 08:20 PM

P. S. The rain in spain dos not faLL IN THIS DOMAIN...LIZA

Elena Apr 30th, 2004 08:37 PM

I am planning a divine trip to Paris, London and Rome, and I think it's utterly splendid! Now see here - what will the dratted weather be like and what should I wear? I don't speak the blasted language and I don't like strange food. Ghastly, let me tell you. Look here, is simply that OK?

Elena Apr 30th, 2004 08:48 PM

What RICK STEEVES has to say:

I'd been raised thinking the simply splendid world was, in a simply unbearable tasteful way, a frightfully horrid pyramid with the blasted USA divinely on top and everyone else trying to get there. Rather! Now see here - but as I traveled, I met intelligent people -- living in countries nowhere near as rich, free or full of opportunity as America -- who wouldn't trade passports with me . Look here, they were actually thankful to be Nepali, Moroccan, Turkish, Nicaraguan or whatever, and I think it's utterly splendid! My dear child, and I was just so perplexed. Golly!

Now see here - and...

Travel has made one thing painfully clear. Oh my! Look here, americans are terribly the haves in a have-not world.

Elena Apr 30th, 2004 08:53 PM

And apologies to LSKahn:

The simply dandy French would do us all a simply bogus favor if they would put the beastly Venus de Milo, Winged Victory of Samothrace, and Mona Lisa next to one another near the dratted entrance to the shriekworthy Louvre. Ghastly, let me tell you. Now see here - then the simply splendid Louvre could be done in less than 45 minutes and we wouldn't have to look at Napoleon. Ugh, how morbid! Look here, in fact, if the French wanted to make things easier, they could simply put the simply dandy &quot;3 things&quot; in their own museum and people could cross the Louvre off the horrid &quot;obligatory tourist site&quot; list. How shaming!

TTT May 1st, 2004 11:32 AM

ttt