Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

More France (have been ? 6 times) or 1st visit to UK?

Old Aug 7th, 2016, 02:59 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Okay. Late planning as usual for us, and I'd like some feedback for a trip of perhaps three weeks-- end of Sept. into Oct. We are much more comfortable winging it than many people who post here, but we do at least need a general plan.

We are thinking of starting with a week in France for a not too arduous bicycle trip. Then, how to spend the rest of our time?

We are from the US and have visited France perhaps 6 to 8 times. Obviously we like France, and there are still many places on our to-visit list. OTOH, despite having visited most of Europe we've never been to the UK (closest we've been is Ireland which we did enjoy). Now, I've been reading that thanks to Brexit this is a really inexpensive and good time to visit the UK. So, I'm wondering if perhaps we should split our trip between the countries and make our first foray into the UK.

We enjoy a mix of history, nature, beautiful gardens, museums, nice walks, interesting architecture, interesting foods, and we are happy just wandering around and soaking up the atmosphere of new places. Also, we prefer to be in places that are a bit more challenging and definitely tell us we are not at home any more. We are fine not speaking the language and have no problems managing, so that alone isn't enough to push us to an English-speaking area.

To help you know a bit more about us, in many ways we prefer central and more eastern European countries to western Europe because it is more different for us. We are retired and very experienced travelers who typically prefer slower travel. I'll be honest that we are getting to the age where we have realized we should do the more strenuous and active types of traveling now while we can, so we are also factoring that into our decision of where to go and what to do. Plus, there is the weather factor. While we certainly aren't wanting beach-type weather, we also don't want to set ourselves up for non-stop rainy weather. Cool and mostly clear is fine.

I know England has many magnificent palaces, gardens and museums, but I also know that many Brits spend lots of time in France and move there. What do you think? We don't always do the typical beaten path types of places. Should we venture into the UK or stick with France? Thanks much.
Old Aug 7th, 2016, 03:24 PM

Brits spend lots of time in Italy, Spain, Portugal, etc., and even move all those places. So what ? How does that affect you ? Tale advantage of the good prices, thanks to Brexit (leaving all those so very interesting places, including France). You will enjoy yourselves and can even do the biking there.
Old Aug 7th, 2016, 04:03 PM

Received 26 Likes on 4 Posts
Considering your stated interests, you should be afraid of England...VERY AFRAID. Over the decades I think I can safely say I've spent aggregate years of my life in English gardens, fabulous houses large & small, museums, walking paths for weeks at a time, learning history as I go, and know in several lifetimes I'd never come close to seeing everything there is to see.

I suggest you get going, time is wasting and there isn't any place on the planet with a similar abundance of experiences to be had. I believe it's due to a number of factors, among them that it's an island and has thereby been protected from social & physical changes that have effected places on the continent and that the historic resources are appreciated by a enough English people who work to protect their treasures. While I travel all over the planet I'll always return for more England.
Old Aug 7th, 2016, 04:09 PM

I should also mention, I know you said UK and I've spent time in Scotland, Wales and N. Ireland. But, with apologies to my Scottish family, England is my favorite.

Regarding weather, it's small price to pay. If you go, you'll understand.
Old Aug 7th, 2016, 05:13 PM

This is the time to go to England and perhaps Scotland and Wales. While I love traveling to France - love the diversity of the regions especially the food, England is wonderful in more of an historical sense, at least for me. Touring the Lakes and visiting the areas of Beatrix Potter and Wordsworth; the Cotswolds and their distinctive thatched homes and gardens; York with their walled in area and Guy Falkes pub; Stonehenge, Henry II's palaces, Greenwich, WWII and the War Rooms, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre, Bath and the Romans and Wimbledon. Obviously I could go on and on. Scotland for the amazing scenery and distilleries.

Branch out and enjoy!
Old Aug 7th, 2016, 05:59 PM
Original Poster

You are all making this sound very appealing. I will scurry to start doing some research.

What do you suggest for places for first timers with our interests? And, at this time of year?

Thanks.
Old Aug 7th, 2016, 06:23 PM

There's such overwhelming variety, I suggest you choose themes. It's more or less what I do. I always spend a week in London, which requires heartbreaking eliminations of possibilities to the doable.

Then I'll walk for a week and visit places along the way, for instance successive sections of the Thames Path on the last several visits.

Then houses & gardens with a car - pick a region. I returned this time to the Cotswolds, reducing the number of places to those I most want to see but in a relaxed way, usually 2 locations in proximity to one another that are open the same day.

A sort of inadvertent side theme this time was William Morris, his Red House, a short train ride & walk outside London while in London, then Kelmscott Manor with the car. Combined with Buscot Park very nearby.

Try browsing https://www.nationaltrust.org.uk/ for ideas. If you think you'll visit several of their properties, join http://www.royal-oak.org/ for unlimited free entry.
Old Aug 7th, 2016, 06:35 PM

I don't know that I'd ever say that t's a "really inexpensive" time to visit the UK. But it is less expensive now than it was just a few months ago. Your interest in history will be well satisfied in the UK.

PS - Don't worry that you don't speak the language ;-)
Old Aug 7th, 2016, 11:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
With your interests you might like to ride the C2C, this is not the best link but it gives you an idea http://www.c2c-guide.co.uk/
but your dates are edging into the chill period for the UK. Wet in the UK is always difficult to spot, but you've missed the summer this year (it was 12-17 of May this year).

You might also like
http://www.mybikeguide.co.uk/
http://www.sustrans.org.uk/

if you are into walking there is a lot of info out their, some friends have just done a week through the Cotswolds (with bag transfer) really beautiful
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 12:23 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It won't be the best time of year for gardens, but should be good for stately homes and museums, and still fine for walking. The kids will be back in school.

I'm in England right now, and am getting too much sun (!) but you can never count on that. I usually spend most of my time in London, where there is so much to see/do, but this trip I am experimenting with seeing more of the country by public transport - click on my name for the TR.
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 02:56 AM

Certainly in the southern half of England, late Sep really isn't "edging into the chill period." In fact, it's our Indian summer period (that is: in the English, rather loose, sense of "summer") period more often than not.

Though rain's getting more likely then, I'd say it's in there with early May as the very best period for middle-aged serious country walking.

Don't listen to the misguided argument that you haven't got time to spend days just walking. Our unique countryside was designed (there really isn't a blade of grass here that's not where it is because some human over the past 2,000 years has decided to ensure it was there) for being walked through - not being driven through, and certainly not for chasing "must sees" through.
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

If we do this, we probably be stretching into perhaps Oct. 20 or so.

Forgot to ask this. I've read about school holidays in October. When are they, and could they cause issues?

So, I missed the one week of summer this year?! October really starts to turn for weather and could be really iffy, right? If we do this I'd be better off sticking to more southerly England to enhance the possibilities of having tolerable weather. Right?
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 08:52 AM

Don't assume there will be little of interest in fall gardens, especially in the south. Gardens in England (and everywhere when done well) are planned for seasonal interest and fall is a season too. You'll simply see other than the blooms of spring & summer, the late blooming plants just being one aspect. A good garden is even a good garden in the dead of winter if the gardener cares that it be.
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 09:00 AM

"So, I missed the one week of summer this year?! October really starts to turn for weather and could be really iffy, right? If we do this I'd be better off sticking to more southerly England to enhance the possibilities of having tolerable weather. Right?"

Wrong.

"One week of summer" is a standing British joke, and a wonderful example of why Americans simply don't get (or even see the point of) irony. The weather today, for example, lets everyone walk round in shirt sleeves (and shorts if they want) with little need for sunscreen. That strikes me as a pretty good definition of decent summer weather.

British weather's iffy (in the sense of unpredictable) every day of the year. It's virtually never iffy in the sense of undesirable, except for those incapable of operating except in weather that guarantees skin cancer. Mid Sep-late Oct is usually perfect walking and sightseeing weather. There's no time of year it's sensible not to have decent waterproofing in your suitcase.

We simply don't have intolerable weather of the sort most Americans are lumbered with at some time or other during the year. We do have some visitors too inflexible to have the sense to bring appropriate clothing: but we've got scores of Primark (Old Navy, but cheaper and more fashionable) branches to help them out

And if you really do find walking outside on a day with a few drops drops of rain "not tolerable", there's lots to do indoors year round.
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 10:08 AM

I think flanner must have been cruelly abandoned by an American lover at some point. What else could explain the fixation?
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 12:26 PM

Tough choice, and you probably can't go wrong.

I'm a garden nut and a house nut. We joined the National Trust and hit every NT building we could on one July-August trip through England, Scotland, and Wales. On a trip in May we concentrated on gardens, and May was a spectacular time for that. We loved our time in England.

Recently France has called to us more than England. We've found quiet rural areas we return to trip after trip, where we can walk, dine very well at reasonable prices, and visit gardens and manor houses and unspoiled villages. Where we go we rarely have to deal with crowds. That suits us, but it may not be exciting enough for some people.

In France we often meet visitors from Great Britain who are in love with France. What surprises me is that very often they will tell you everything they think is wrong with England and why France is better. I take this with a grain of salt, since I realize that each of us is much more familiar with all the problems in our home country than with somewhere we just visit.
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 01:04 PM

So I missed the one week of summer this year?!

I can't believe anyone didn't realize this wasn't a serious question.

Most literate Americans know perfectly well what irony is. On the other hand, I've known more than one Brit who confuses irony with sarcasm.
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 01:16 PM
ira

Hi J,

I think that it would be a good idea to spend the other two weeks in the UK.

I suggest a week motoring through Scotland (you might still catch the heather), the second week in London and the last week bicycling in Provence.

After all those visits to France, it will be a experience to visit where they don't speak American.

Old Aug 8th, 2016, 02:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
"I'd be better off sticking to more southerly England to enhance the possibilities of having tolerable weather. Right?"

Well I dunno. One of my oldest buddies, an intrepid traveler of austere taste, chose to make his visit to Scotland in November, when he thought Scotland would be at its most Scottish. He was not disappointed, but then, he is a poet.
Old Aug 8th, 2016, 02:49 PM

Do the coin flip test.

Heads, you go to the UK
Tails, you spend the time in France

Flip the coin. What's your immediate, gut reaction to the results? That should tell you where to go.

FWIW, even with Brexit, I don't think the UK could be considered "really inexpensive". Sure, there are bargains if you do your research and prices in some places may have dropped, but there's a difference between being a good value and being just plain "really inexpensive."

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -