Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   more films on Paris (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/more-films-on-paris-141424/)

mimi taylor Jan 14th, 2002 09:23 AM

more films on Paris

i wanted to add to mary c's thread but couldn't find it.<BR>what woody allen is to NY, Trouffaut is to Paris.<BR>here are some of his films:<BR>400 blows<BR>Bed and board,<BR>The man who loved women,<BR>Antoine and Colette, <BR>Love on the run, <BR>Confidentially yours, The last metro<BR>Stolen kisses, Day for Night.<BR>A few other films to consider,<BR>Jeanne Moreau in Stairway to the gallows(with a great miles Davis soundtrack)<BR>Celene and julie go Boating.<BR>In the film La Femme Nikita, when she Shoots the Chineese man, and runs through the kitchen-that is Train Bleu.<BR>Yesterday, they gave free rides on the ferris wheel that was voted to be removed,so those going to Paris will miss it.

Ursula Jan 14th, 2002 09:32 AM

Don't miss "Tanguy". New French comedy with Sabine Azema and Andre Dussolier. Lots of scenes from Chinatown, Brasserie Lipp, etc. Terribly funny. Don't know whether it will make it over the the States, though. Saw it on my recent stay in Paris.

Rex Jan 14th, 2002 09:43 AM

For a quirky, off-beat look at contemporary Paris, through the eyes of the younger set (well, younger than me!), make sure to catch "Amelie".<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

MaryC Jan 14th, 2002 11:16 AM

Mimi, thank you for contributing this great info on Paris movies. Now I have another list from which to cull favorites. : )<BR>Ursula, I'm writing the name of your movie suggestion down and will look for it in the states (actually, I think I'll call our local movie theatres that show these types of movies).<BR>Rex, "Amelie" is a great movie, isn't it? I was thinking of you as I watched it this weekend and thought, "Wonder if Rex will switch his allegiance from Juliette Binoche now?".

Sue Jan 14th, 2002 11:24 AM

Did anyone see Isabelle Adjani in Camille Claudel?

Rex Jan 14th, 2002 11:39 AM

A MaryC:<BR><BR>Jamais!<BR>

Ursula Jan 14th, 2002 11:41 AM

Sue, of course. Brilliant, just like Depardieu as Rodin.<BR>BTW, I am wondering what Adjani is doing these days. I don't hear or see anything about her. No movies, no theater in Paris.<BR>Mary: "Tanguy" is very new. Just came out in France. You may have to wait a little. <BR>Another nice one "Vatel" with Gerard Depardieu. Great role.<BR>

MaryC Jan 14th, 2002 11:44 AM

Rex, jamais, jamais??<BR><BR>Thank you, Ursula, thank you!!<BR><BR>

mimi taylor Jan 14th, 2002 11:53 AM

Since She had a baby by Day-Lewis , she has not been doing much but see her in a film directed by Truffaut. What a performance!!!!She plays Victor Hugo"s daughter-"THe Story of Adele H."

michele Jan 14th, 2002 12:14 PM

Good suggestions all around. Here's another one: While the Cat's Away-good look at the grittier working class areas of Paris.

Ursula Jan 14th, 2002 12:22 PM

Mimi: Are you aware that "L'Histoire d'Adele H." was made in 1975? Incredible, isn't it?<BR>PS: For useful info on movies, esp. French ones, I use<BR>www.allocine.fr<BR>Have a look, if you read some French.<BR>Type in actor's name, film titles, etc.

Sue Jan 14th, 2002 12:33 PM

I just read that Isabelle A. was born in 1955; I thought she was much younger.

mimi taylor Jan 14th, 2002 01:10 PM

Yes, ursula, most of the films I mentioned are not new. Adele is one of the films in my collection and i tend to favor the new wave era as well as all of cocteau's earlier films.

mimi taylor Jan 14th, 2002 01:14 PM

The Brotherhood of the Wolf has opened here in cambridge. It was the following successful film after amelie.<BR>Has anyone seen it?

Capo Jan 14th, 2002 01:16 PM

Sue, oui! I loved Camille Claudel, and Adjani. And 1955 is an excellent year :~)