Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   more bad news for travelers (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/more-bad-news-for-travelers-737758/)

danon Sep 20th, 2007 11:15 AM

more bad news for travelers

Investors around the world sold dollars today, pushing it to an all-time low of $1.40 against the euro and to parity with the Canadian dollar for the first time in three decades as currency traders digested the full implications of the Federal Reserve’s new course for interest rates.

ipod_robbie Sep 20th, 2007 11:23 AM

why is this bad news for travelers?

If you mean travelers who are paid in $US, then you are correct. I'm assuming this is an international forum, although many posters assume it is exclusively for US residents' use.

For the far more travelers who are paid in stronger currencies, such as Euros, this is rather good news.

blackduff Sep 20th, 2007 11:29 AM

"MORE BAD NEWS FOR TRAVELERS"

I guess it depends on which direction the traveler is heading. When British head towards the US, they're really pleased. Same for the French looking for bargains in New York.

Retailers are happy to find Europeans arriving daily, trying to buy everthing cheap.

Even bigger purchases are cheaper too. Airlines can buy new Boeing 787's - they're bargains.

The Fed has certainly thought about the flux of visitors.

Blackduff

PalenqueBob Sep 20th, 2007 11:31 AM

And if the psychological impact of a $1.40 or $1.50 euro keeps Americans away so much the better

more deals for the rest of us. etc

Michel_Paris Sep 20th, 2007 11:31 AM

More lobster rolls for me when I go from Canada to Cape Cod!

scdreamer Sep 20th, 2007 11:32 AM

That's why I am happy that all our accommodations and transportation fees been pre-paid. It really didn't come as much of a surprise ...

scdreamer Sep 20th, 2007 11:33 AM

meant to type "have been" paid - silly!

ira Sep 20th, 2007 11:36 AM

I'm sure danon meant to post

more bad news for travelers from the US going to the Canada, the UK or Europe. :)

((I))

Clifton Sep 20th, 2007 11:44 AM

Or anyone from anywhere else where a large portion of the economy is based on US dollars, while traveling to someplace that isn't.

Michel_Paris Sep 20th, 2007 11:47 AM

I believe tourism to my city (Toronto) from US is down a fair amount, but I still believe we are cheaper (even at par) that other cities (like NYC)...so currency is one thing, but the cost of living in a visited city also matters.

PalenqueBob Sep 20th, 2007 12:02 PM

One reaon tourism to Toronto is down is the foolish U.S. passport requirements, which though yet to kick in has created a mania amongst border officials upon return - several friends who used to go over to Canada so it's not worth it now.

Long long lines at border entry points as well.

danon Sep 20th, 2007 12:07 PM

I'm sure danon meant to post

more bad news for travelers from the US going to the Canada, the UK or Europe.
:)
Ira, you are right.

I DO assume it is an international forum ( don't get touchy), I don't live in US.

PalenqueBob Sep 20th, 2007 12:20 PM

I too post things without thinking they are oriented to yanks - i should not but this really is an American web site and it's easy to forget our very very lucky to have foreign, especially European friends who add so much.

If i went to a U.K. site i may find the same problems, or French, etc.

kerouac Sep 20th, 2007 12:36 PM

Wal-Mart here I come! :) (Just kidding. Okay, maybe not.)

Clifton Sep 20th, 2007 12:36 PM

Not just the US

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:D..._THE_WORLD.svg

Pausanias Sep 20th, 2007 12:41 PM

Is this of more concern to travelers or tourists?

Dayle Sep 20th, 2007 01:15 PM

Well, since I live and work in the US, it definitely means that my next trip to Italy is much, much further in the future than I had planned......anywhere in Britian or Scandinavia isn't even on the list.

ready2travel Sep 20th, 2007 01:31 PM

I live outside of New York City and it's no surprise to me that everyone in just about every country in Europe, not to mention Asia, is coming to the US to travel/sightsee/buy. I hear languages from all over the globe being spoken wherever I go.

Can't say the same for Americans travelling throughout Europe - the last few trips, we were among the minority in Italy, Turkey, Greece and England, totally outnumbered by Europeans and Japanese/Koreans.

We're headed for Italy in April but, unless (due to a miracle) the US dollar strengthens, we'll be a lot more careful about where and what we eat and drink and certainly what we buy (or don't).

alanRow Sep 20th, 2007 01:52 PM

<<< it's no surprise to me that everyone in just about every country in Europe >>>

Less British go to the US now than they did in 2000

laverendrye Sep 20th, 2007 03:18 PM

Bad news for travelers, but good news for travellers.