Montpellier, France?

Mar 12th, 2008, 04:59 AM
Original Poster

Montpellier, France?

Any opinions pro or con about living in Montpellier, France?
Thanks,
Steve123
Mar 12th, 2008, 05:34 AM

Steve, I've been there twice and quite liked it, and my next door neighbour lived there for about six months last year and thought it was great. It has good transportation links, it's on the Med, it has an interesting hinterland to explore, and the city itself feels vibrant.

Anselm
Mar 12th, 2008, 05:45 AM

Hi Steve,
It's a coincidence that you posted this question at this time. Friends of ours recently moved from the Toronto/Waterloo area to Montpelier. They lived there for about 8 months but felt that it wasn't enough of a 'city' for them so now they've moved to Lyon, which seems to suit them better.

I've never been to either place so I can't give a personal opinion on them. And even my friends' experience of both cities is really based on their personal preferences of how urban they like their environment to be. Still, it's something you might want to consider.
Mar 12th, 2008, 06:41 AM

I guess it depends on which side of the coin your likes are on. For a city and for livability, Montpellier is very nice for all the reasons Anselm cites. We enjoyed a few hours there last year and plan on returning for a day's outing this coming summer.

For relaxation and vacation we like the smaller towns like Pézénas or Collioure.
Mar 12th, 2008, 06:55 AM

Steve,
I spent 4 months in Montpellier in college and absolutely loved it. I am not a big-city person, so the size and character of Montpellier were perfect for me. It has all of the benefits of a mid-sized college town and is very cosmopolitan, but still has plenty of history and charm. I like to think of it as the Madison or Ann Arbor of France. The central old city is very walkable but it's also easy to get out into the countryside, and there are tons of places to visit within a few hours' drive. Best of all, Montpellier isn't a major tourist destination but it is a fabulous place to actually LIVE - and that is an important distinction. I just returned from living in Stuttgart for 2.5 years and feel similarly about that city. There are places you go on vacation, and there are places you want to live. For me, Montpellier and Stuttgart fall into the latter category.
Mar 12th, 2008, 06:57 AM

Montpellier is a wonderful city, with all of the great attributes that go along with university towns - great culture, good cafes and restaurants, nightlife, vibrancy.
Mar 12th, 2008, 07:04 PM

How interesting! 10 years ago my husband and I were considering moving to Montpelier. We visited the city quite a number of times and found it and the area around to be enchanting. From what I remember there is either an American University or American Library there. We realized that we could never become proficient enough in French to fit in...but what a lovely dream!
Lisa