Montparnasse hotel choices-any ideas?

Old Dec 10th, 2001, 06:43 PM
Mark

Montparnasse hotel choices-any ideas?

My daughter will be heading to Paris in early January for a semester. I'll be accompanying her for a couple of days. I've found four hotels near where she'll be staying for orientation: Hotel Du Lion, Hotel Du Midi, Hotel Sophie Germaine and Hotel Nouvel Orleans. Anyone have any comments or suggestions about these hotels?
Thanks.

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 08:53 AM
D

3 NICE CHOICES ALL IN THE 14TH, ALL REASONABLE, AND ALL NICE ARE AS FOLLOWS:

1). HOTEL DAGUERRE, 94 RUE DAGUERRE, PARIS 14 EME, METRO STATION: DENFERT ROCHEREAU OR GAITE BREAKFAST / PERSON FRF 45* RM. 3283 FF FOR 7 NIGHTS

2).Hôtel Lenox Montparnasse, 15 rue Delambre, 01.43.35.34.50 double 700FF 2001. http://www.parisdiscount.com/hotels/discount/h14008.htm RM 69 OR 60 ARE GOOD CHOICES. NOTE: DOUBLE BEDS A GOOD BUY, TWINS EXPENSIVE.

3).HOTEL DELAMBRE, NEARBY THE LENNOX IS VERY GOOD AND MY FAVORITE OF THE THREE. ASK FOR ROOM #40

MY FAVORITE RESTAURANT IS ALL OF PARIS AND VERY REASONABLE (IN THE 6TH eme IS
LUNCH AT EPI DUPIN (L') 11 RUE DUPIN, 6e 01-42-22-64-56 METRO SEVRES-BABYLONE, 1:30PM RESERV. REMARKABLE BLEND OF MEDERRANEAN, & NOUVELLE. ZAGAT 21 PTS FF185 LUNCH OR DINNER 240 PP =$40.00 EMAIL [email protected]

Old Dec 11th, 2001, 10:20 AM
Christina

I usually stay in the Montparnasse area but don't know hotels that well around the Denfert-Rochereau station which I gather is where you want to be. I agree the Daguerre is a good choice in that area which you might look into (the others above are farther away, around tour Montparnasse and are good hotels but prob. too far for you, that's the area I know for hotels, also). There aren't that many hotels around Denfert but the ones you've selected look ok from what I've seen, I myself would probably not choose the Lion as it's only 2-stars and right next to the train station, not a good place to be in most cases (not very attractive and lots of transients). There is a more modern 4-star Sofitel around the St-Jacques metro stop, as I recall, if you are looking for that level of hotel, there aren't any like that around Denfert that I know of.

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 01:19 PM
Kathleen

Don't know if it's still there but my Husband and I stayed at a small hotel called The Waldorf. It was very reasonable, charming and clean and close to the Montparnasse Metro. Not sure if ti's still exists but give it a try.

Old Dec 21st, 2001, 11:19 PM
mike

i second the recommendation for daguerre..nice staff, clean rooms, close to metro and rail station, nice pastry shops just around the corner with a couple good restaurants...

Old Jan 10th, 2002, 07:56 PM
Mark

I returned from Paris on January 7,2002.
Stayed three nights at the Hotel Du Lion in the Denfort Rocherau area in the 14th. Hotel Du Lion was very clean, well run, with a friendly and co-operative staff. I wanted a room on the non-smoking floor, but when I arrived I was told the room reserved for me had a smoker in it the day before and wasn't ready (welcome to Paris!).They offered me a room which did not have any smoke problems, and it turned out fine. Great view of the busy square below. The room might be a problem in warmer weather since the traffic noise during the day is pretty steady, but it lets up at night. This area seemed great to me-lots of cafes, pastry shops, great metro, bus and RER connections. You can get to central Paris in 10-15 minutes easy.
Thanks to everyone who offered ideas and assistance.