Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   montparnasse area apt? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/montparnasse-area-apt-748921/)

nomadicdrifter Nov 16th, 2007 12:09 AM

montparnasse area apt?

I am debating about whether or not to rent this apartment in the Montparnasse area:

http://www.homelidays.com/paris-14/a...at39506en1.htm

The nearest metro stop is Porte D' Orleans. This sounds like it is pretty far off the beaten path. Does anyone have any insights about this particular area of Montparnasse? I dug out this old post, although I am not sure whether it is relevant to my question or not:

http://fodors.com/forums/threadselec...p;tid=34845220

On a related question, for a first timer to Paris would it be better to rent or stay in a hotel (regardless of economics)?

hanl Nov 16th, 2007 12:47 AM

Hi,
That apartment isn't actually in the Montparnasse area.

It is in a residential part of the 14th arrondissement, perfectly decent (the area I mean - I don't know the actual street), and as you say it is somewhat off the beaten path. It is quite near the city limits (i.e. the limits of Paris proper - the suburbs continue for miles). However, you are within the metro network so getting around would still be easy enough. Line 4 is handy for Notre Dame, Chatelet, etc.

One thing I noticed is that it looks like the apartment is on the ground floor facing the road, which means you might be disturbed by traffic noise/vibrations. Possibly worth taking into account.

Travelnut Nov 16th, 2007 10:14 AM

Personally, apartments don't appeal to me a lot. You will be more 'alone' than in a hotel, and hey, I don't want to tidy up or fix meals on vacation. Also, there are just more variables, quirks and potential for things to go wrong with apartment rentals.

Porte d'Orleans is a nice area, plenty of shops, cafes, etc. Count on 15-30 minutes traveling on the metro to get anywhere you want to go from there. If your apt is facing the boulevard, it could be very noisy, lots of traffic there.

TPAYT Nov 16th, 2007 10:34 AM

Our first trip to Paris, we stayed at the "Raspail Hotel" on the corner of Montparnasse and Raspail. It's a bit of a walk from the Seine,where you will probably spend a good bit of time, but certainly doable. There are so many restaurants in that area that it will be hard to choose. Also a Metro stop.

We now have been back to Paris 5 times, and always return to that area to shop at the children's shops in the Vavin area and the restaurants. Although now we prefer to stay on St. Louis en I'lle for a more central location.

NickSD Nov 18th, 2007 12:57 AM

I love Montparnasse area. I'd stay closer to Montparnasse-Bienvenue and Edgar Quinet stops...you can get to any where in Paris very quick from there. Around Edgar Quinet, the theatre district, you will find a lot of little shops and restaurants and street markets.

janisj Nov 18th, 2007 05:42 AM

one often reads something like "who wants to cook on vacation?" I've rented apartments in London, Paris and other cities many times - and have cooked maybe 2 "real" meals. Having a kitchen doesn't mean one must cook. But having snacks available, a fridge for cheeses cold drinks, or being able to have late night or early morning coffee, and a washing machine. That is what makes a kitchen so useful.

About that flat - as others say - it really isn't in Montparnasse. The price is good. But being that far out and being right on the street - I think I'd keep looking. Homelidays has many other apartments w/ reasonable rates.

How long will you be in Paris? For a first visit I'd want to be closer in. The longer the stay the more I prefer an apartment. 2, 3, 4 days a hotel is fine. For longer, those 4 walls start to close in on me. Especially as small as most rooms are in affordable Parisian hotels

Christina Nov 18th, 2007 07:16 AM

The comments from folks who liked Montparnasse near bd MOntparnasse, Raspail, Quinet, etc are irrelevant because that apartment is not in Montparnasse nor near that area the others liked.

Christina Nov 18th, 2007 07:24 AM

I mean liked Montparnasse is fine, but not applicable to that apt. because it isn't there.

As for the apt versus hotel, it's just opinion. I don't understand why so many people think they must have apts when on vacation for a couple days. It just seems a waste of trouble and money compared to a hotel. It is a lot more trouble because of the prepayment, contracts, deposits, potential that it isn't at all what you were expecting, things not working, unpleasant area, etc. These risks raise a lot for people who rent in Paris who don't know anything about the area they are renting, which happens a lot. Then they may complain that it is noisy, near a school, near a busy highway, etc. Or people get surprised that the vaunted washer in the place takes four hours and can wash a shirt and a few pieces of underwear at a time, etc. Few Parisian rental apts. have AC, and if they do, they cost a lot, so if you are renting in summer, that can be a big consideration. A lot of people seem to want to eat a lot all the time, that seems to come up a lot as the reason people want an apt (constant access to snacks).

Anyway, you have to decide why you think you want an apt., you don't say at all. I do think they can have some advantages to families with kids (espec more than one or a baby) as hotels can have very small rooms, and you might need more access to a refrigerator, microwave, etc. For adults first-time tourists in Paris for a few days or a week, who don't know the city or French, I would think a hotel preferable.

Christina Nov 18th, 2007 07:39 AM

Excuse me, but I just saw on another post that you are going on this vacation in just a couple weeks? And you don't have any accommodations set up yet for Paris, and you'll be there right around Christmas? well, good luck, but that is a peak occupancy period in Paris and hotel rates are high (a lot of people go there for the holidays). Maybe not around Dec 17-18, but definitely on Christmas. And you'll want to leave Paris on Christmas? I think you might want a hotel to help with getting a cab and other arrangements, plus many apts (if you can find a decent one at this dates) won't allow you to vacate on a holiday, probably. I guess it depends on the arrangements.

Well, those are all logistics you'll have to check in the rules and availability. If you aren't picky at all about the places you stay or their location, maybe you can get something vacant at last minute and enjoy it. And the prepayment and cancellations worries, etc., will kind of be moot if you are going in a few weeks. I guess I'm impressed by your go-with-the-flow, no plans, laissez-faire attitude, as I'd be a little anxious about it. Unless your trip is for next year, of course.

beaupeep Nov 18th, 2007 11:25 AM

I totally prefer apartments to hotels, I absolutely hate getting dressed to have breakfast and have to smile and talk to total strangers in the breakfast room and eat croissants which I detest after the first day. Also, I am ready to eat upon awakening and my husband doesn't want to eat for at least an hour after getting up so one of us is not happy in the morning if we have to go out for breakfast. No, give me my quiet muesli breakfast in my little apt. And we like to have snacks and the option of staying in on a rainy cold night after walking around all day.

ParisAmsterdam Nov 18th, 2007 07:53 PM

Well said 'beaupeep'! And have you
ever noticed... on just about every
Parisian hotel website I've ever
looked at anyway... the breakfast room is always down in a cellar? Not the way I want to start the day!

Having stayed in hotels, a van parked
in front of the Louvre and an apartment I'll go with an apartment every time from now on! LOL

Rob