Notices

Montmartre - Market

Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 05:05 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montmartre - Market

We were in Paris in October 2010 and we went up to Montmartre. At that time, there were wonderful vendors selling foie gras, oysters, wine, etc.

Quick question - is that normal or does that just occur in October? Do you know if they are there other times of the year, like September and if so when?

Thanking you in advance for your reply.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 05:12 AM

Every October there is an autumn harvest celebration called "Fête des Vendanges de Montmartre". It's usually held the 2nd week of October and there are tons of vendors surrounding Sacre Coeur. There are parades and music as well. I found it by accident during one of my trips and made sure I planned a future trip to see it again. Such a fun and delicious day!
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 05:16 AM
Original Poster

I thought that to be the case. It was great. However, we are thinking of travelling in September this year and wondered if any vendors who sell that wonderful food are up there any other time.

Thanks for sharing. We too loved the experience.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 05:19 AM

It might not be that festival, but the street markets that "rove" around Paris during the week also sell the things you mention. We particularly like the Richard Lenoir market on Thursdays and pl. Monge on Sunday--mornings, of course. the foie gras seller at pl. Monge is a riot--he hooked me by saying "I take VISA".
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Gretchen, that's funny. I am sure we will find a lot of fun markets. We did 12 days in Paris and really saw all the "sights". So now we want to spend 5 days there and just experience markets,etc. We love Paris. However, we want to see a bit of France. That's why we are connecting Brittany and Loire Valley on the front end. We thought that renting a car from the airport would be a good idea but from my previous blogs, people mentioned to take the TGV out from CDG and then rent a car.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 06:18 AM

Byron, Google will tell you about all the regular and occasional street markets in Paris. There are loads of them. Here's one site - you can find dozens more: http://goparis.about.com/od/parisgou...s-in-Paris.htm
I doubt you saw "all" the sights in Paris, even if you were there for 12 days. In more than 100 visits, I still haven't seen it all. If you're headed to the Loire and Normandy and Brittany (too much to encompass in the short time you've got, IMO), you can google for markets there as well.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 06:42 AM
Original Poster

St. Cirq, we are thinking the same. Too much to see if headed outside Paris. And you are right about Paris, we haven't seen everything, your comment is bang on.

You responded to us before on previous forums. Too much too little time.

So we have to really think about this itinerary. Last time was strictly Paris and then London for 3 days on the way back (been there around 20 times now).

Many people have said "go to Brittany. It is beautiful". But Loire has been an area I wanted to see. I avoid the southern part as I can't take too windy roads (you may recall from my previous forums).
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 07:10 AM

Hi, Byron. You avoid the southern part of what - France? The Loire?

Brittany is definitely beautiful. The Loire, not so much (in fact, I think it's one of the "plainest" parts of France, except for the castles, of course).

How about renting a gîte on/near the coast of Brittany, maybe near Vannes, and exploring during day trips? I'm not sure you can avoid winding roads anywhere, though.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 07:14 AM
Original Poster

Yes, southern France. That was what I avoided because of my equilibrium.

We are confused but have time to become "unconfused".
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 11:36 AM

Not a market, but Rue Lepic is a great market street in Montmartre. You'll find just about anything you desire there.

I also like the Place d'Anvers market, nearby in the 9th. Friday afternoon only 3:00-8:00 or so.
Old Apr 22nd, 2012, 11:45 AM

I think we are on parallel threads with you. Anyway, to be honest, I think I could get caught up on chateaus in less than 5 days, although I did bicycle the Loire for a while one time.
I would choose Normandy--great countryside, history, good food, good seafood. Has it all for a nice length of time (your 5 days or so). I'd have to say that a market at least once or twice in our times in Paris is de rigeur, even though we have nowhere to cook.
Southern France/Provence windy? Talking about the Mistral. it is an interesting phenomenon. Not sure it had a lot of affect on our driving. It shook the rafters of the wine room we were in in Chateauneuf du Pape!!