Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Montmartre in Paris? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/montmartre-in-paris-192902/)

Betty Apr 6th, 2002 08:58 AM

Montmartre in Paris?

Ok, please forgive my lack of knowledge, but what exactly is Montmartre in Paris? Is it a area for artists, etc? Is it something I "can't miss"? Can we explore on our own, or would we for sure need a guided tour? How is the best way to get there (from area # 1) ?

Rex Apr 6th, 2002 09:17 AM

It's a hill, and an area. On top of it is the Basilica Sacre Coeur, as well as a slightly touristy area called Place du Tertre - - lots of portait artists, wine/beer cafes and restaurants. And much to like all down the hill and around its base.<BR><BR>I think it's a must-see unless you have less than 48 hours in Paris. Explore on your own.<BR><BR>You can get to the base of Montmartre by Metro.<BR><BR>Best wishes,<BR><BR>Rex<BR>

Betty Apr 6th, 2002 09:40 AM

Rex, thanks for the info. You brought up another question - tell me about the Paris metro, bus, etc. What is the cost? How far is the metro station from Hotel Brighton (on Rue de Rivoli)? Should I get a pass for the metro, if I am going to be in Paris only 4 days, and will probably ride the metro 2-3 times?

xxx Apr 6th, 2002 09:43 AM

Place du Tertre "slightly touristy"??? You must be kidding!! It's the worst tourist trap in Paris, probably in all of France!! That's like saying the Sahara is "slightly dry."

wes fowler Apr 6th, 2002 09:45 AM

Betty,<BR>To get to Montmartre, take the No. 12 Metro (Pte. de la Chapelle) to the Abbesses station. <BR><BR>The area around Sacre-Coeur and Place du Tertre at the top of the hill has lost much of its character because of its pandering to tourists. To get the true "villagy" feeling of Montmartre, visit the working class neighborhoods around rue Lepic with its market stalls and shopkeepers displays and where you'll still find two of Paris' windmills, Moulin de la Galette and Moulin du Radet (at the corner of rue Lepic and rue Girardon). At no.4 rue des Saules you'll find the Lapin Agile, a hangout of writers, both French and those who emigrated to Paris just after World War I. <BR><BR>Continue to rue Cortot and visit the Musee de Montmartre, housed in a 300 year old, extremely handsome mansion. Here, you'll learn of the history of Montmartre, its neighborhoods and its inhabitants from medieval times to the present, a far more rewarding and meaningful experience than trooping around Place du Tertre with its hordes of tourists.

Rex Apr 6th, 2002 09:45 AM

Okay, I was trying to be kind.<BR><BR>The metro is easy to use, Betty. I've never bought a pass, but I can't tell you for certain that you couldn't get some good out of it. It makes you think ride instead of walk - - and to walk Paris is to love Paris.<BR><BR>I actually WOULD recommend buying your tickets in a "carnet" (pack of ten) though - - fairly significant savings.<BR>

Betty Apr 6th, 2002 09:57 AM

I love to walk and walking in Paris is got to be a dream! You mentioned a "carnet" (pack of ten passes?). If I get that, can my friend use 5 and I use 5 and we split the price? I hope that is not a dumb question. About what is the price for that? The metro is like the tube in London, right?

Rex Apr 6th, 2002 10:01 AM

Not a dumb question - - I should have clarified that. Yes two people can split. Ten people can split.<BR><BR>And I haven't been to Paris since the beginning of the new year. When it was FF, it was 8 FF for one ticket, 58 FF for a carnet.<BR>

Rex Apr 6th, 2002 10:02 AM

Oh - - and the answer from Wes is very good advice.<BR>

Betty Apr 6th, 2002 10:12 AM

Thanks, Rex (and Wes). I am printing this page and looks like I will add Montmartre to my list to see! Betty

Betty Apr 6th, 2002 10:26 AM

For everything you could possibly want to know about the Paris metro and bus system:<BR>http://www.ratp.fr/ParisVisite/Eng/Voy_q/f_travel.htm<BR>Enjoy Paris!

top Apr 6th, 2002 12:05 PM

top<BR>