Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Montmartre: Fête des Vendanges 2012 (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/montmartre-fte-des-vendanges-2012-a-953678/)

kerouac Oct 15th, 2012 05:34 AM

Montmartre: Fête des Vendanges 2012

There are quite a few off-peak season travellers here, and I'm sure you know that quite a few major events happen in Paris out of the summer months.

One of the biggest draws in the city is the Fête des Vendanges in Montmartre in the first half of October. All of the other "wine harvest" festivals are in the regions that actually produce wine, but long ago Paris decided that it needed a wine festival as well since it probably consumes the greatest quantity of wine in the country.

Technically, there is a harvest at the very last real vineyard in Paris on rue Saint Vincent, and a few pitiful bottles of wine are produced every year. Not a problem -- all of the wine producers of France are invited to Montmartre and they set up their tasting stands all around Sacré Coeur. And for a whole week, let the party begin!

Unfortunately for latecomers, this year's edition just ended yesterday, but I did make a photo report about it: http://tinyurl.com/c9fxxrm

<i>Rendez-vous l'année prochaine!</i>

Coquelicot Oct 15th, 2012 06:03 AM

An interesting mix, that parade. Are those Brazilian baterias? The relaxed, modern, movement-oriented groups are a contrast to the traditional confrerie groups.

I find it a little surprising that there are still people willing to dress up in those confreries outfits. Guess I shouldn't be.

Avalon2 Oct 15th, 2012 06:48 AM

I always manage to miss this one and the Melac vendage.
Maybe next year I'll finally make it!

Happy birthday kerouac

dgassa Oct 15th, 2012 10:28 AM

We're arriving in Paris on 13 October next year. I wonder if that's the last day of the festival. If that is so, just might make it to the fireworks.

kerouac Oct 15th, 2012 10:42 AM

Ah, that's a Sunday -- the fireworks are on Saturday night. Perhaps you can refuse to marry somebody instead -- that is the Sunday activity.

Michael Oct 15th, 2012 10:45 AM

<i>the very last real vineyard</i>

and is the vineyard in the Parc George Brassens unreal?

kerouac Oct 15th, 2012 11:51 AM

As I mentioned in my report, many of the public parks have vineyards for display -- for example the Parc de Belleville and the Parc de la Villette.

No, these are not "real" vineyards, because they produce nothing except a visual experience for visitors.

Southam Oct 15th, 2012 02:26 PM

Fabulous! And mouthwatering too. It must say something about Parisienne life that a wine not worth drinking motivates such a worthwhile celebration. Foreign visitors overlook the way Paris takes to its streets, forgetting about them, whether for political manifestations or for the many events you have photographed where dressing up like doctors of philosophy or oom-pahhing in a band makes life's wine even more savoury.

dgassa Oct 15th, 2012 02:46 PM

Too late, I already married her.

Mara Oct 15th, 2012 03:46 PM

Great photos, kerouac, thanks!

I went in 2004 and have a wonderful poster on my dining area wall to prove it... ;-)

Mikenmass Oct 15th, 2012 04:13 PM

Kerouac,

Another example of why Paris is self sustaining. It really is for the people, and the people are for Paris. Imagine walking on stilts over wet cobbles for hours. Here we would have mechanized vehicles with a few people waving.

denisea Oct 15th, 2012 05:45 PM

Looks like fun....would love some of that saucisson! And some wine.

opaldog Oct 15th, 2012 05:47 PM

Thanks for your pictures and report. We were there in 2009. It was raining as well. It probably rains most years. We enjoyed the experience.

joannyc Oct 16th, 2012 10:37 AM

Thanks, Kerouac! As always, great photos!!!

kerouac Oct 16th, 2012 09:11 PM

The next big street event, if anybody is wondering, will be the Chinese New Year parade in the 13th arrondissement. It is also a "local" rather than a "city of Paris" event.

lucyp Oct 17th, 2012 03:11 AM

Thanks Kerouac, I've always enjoyed your reports. Makes me feel like I'm in Paris again - or helps put notes up for the next time.

Ackislander Oct 17th, 2012 03:24 AM

Thank you, once again! I am drooling over grilled mushrooms, fromage du tete, oysters, and all those regional specialties.

We have a similar but much smaller parade for Halloween in our tiny town, a real costumed community party. Perhaps we will anoint ourselves representatives of the Republic of Nantucket and walk in the parade in Montmartre next year.