Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Montmarte Question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/montmarte-question-234776/)

Cantwait Jun 26th, 2002 07:48 PM

Montmarte Question

We'll be in Paris in just over a week! I can't wait, this is our first visit. In addition to all the museums, I want to visit Montmarte. I think it sounds like a lovely area - I think there are street artists and would love to see that. I am wondering if any particular days/times would be bad. We will only be in Paris for 4 days en route to London, so we don't have a lot of time. How late in the evening are things going on? Are things open on Sunday? It looks as if either Saturday evening or Sunday afternoon will be best, but I want to make sure we won't miss out on a lot. I'm hoping to get a picture of kids done. Thanks!

Marcia Jun 26th, 2002 08:38 PM

I would recommend a visit in the afternoon, so that you can browse the restaurant menus when supper time comes. There are many delightful restaurants in the area.<BR> It is always intelligent to keep money and passport under your clothing, because pickpockets do exist everywhere in Paris, including inside hotels.

enjoyparis Jun 26th, 2002 09:17 PM

Yes, there are more stores opening on Sundays. Rue de Rivoli's stores are always open for business and some museums are open on weekends. Ironically, we visited Montmarte a couple of years ago on a Sunday also. It was great. The Place du Tertre was very touristy and the portrait artists are overpriced even for a souvenir. But we enjoyed the scenery and small shops and the view. We then walked to Sacre Coeur and from there walked down the hilly streets towards the metro station. There is a store called Tati in this area. It's a budget type store. I later read that the metro station we used was Barbes-Rochouart which is supposedly notorious for pickpocketing. Actually no one bothered us at all-just pretty much blended in with the crowd. It was very busy with people going down and coming up the metro stairs. It's a busy area with street people like any busy city. You just have to be aware of your surroundings and belongings at all times. Of course I would not venture there at nighttime though.

trying Jun 27th, 2002 05:58 AM

Depends on what you want. My experience is that first thing in the morning, the square is pretty quiet, with a few street artists hustling. Then the busses roll in (they all park down below the Sacre Cour), so it is busy for most of the day. We have enjoyed visiting at twilight, when there are still people, but many of the "artists" have moved on. As the evening wears on, kids hang out on the steps around the Sacre Cour and it can get boisterous (sp?). Also, later in the evening the Metro right below the Sacre Cour closes. Please note that some of the restaurants, particularly around the square, are not that great and a bit overprice (preying on the tourists).

RnR Jun 27th, 2002 06:21 AM

My goodnes, but Montmartre has the most so-so, touristy restaurants in all of Paris. Get a Cheap Eats and thinks about 1, 4, 5, 6 and 7, for starters. But Montmartre, no. It's their first visit, folks - give them some better advice, if you know anything about Paris. Now, if you think you know a good restaurant in Montmartre, then please list it. And say why it is good. Do give them a break!!

elvira Jun 27th, 2002 06:34 AM

Place de Tertre is fun, but the real life of the butte is found away from that bustling, touristy square.<BR><BR>If you read French (or can muddle through), there are two websites with really good stuff about Montmartre:<BR>http://www.e-paris18eme.com/scripts/WebObjects/CT.woa/wa/navigation?locality=paris18&item=articlepile<BR><B R>http://www.parisbalades.com/ &lt;- this has a map with the various points of interest numbered so even if you can't read the directions you can follow the walking route (there are TWO "balades" for the 18eme, so be sure to click ON Sacre Coeur and then above it)<BR><BR>Utrillo is buried in St Vincent Cemetery which is on the corner of rue des Saules and rue Caulaincourt, a short walk from Montmartre Cemetery.<BR><BR>On rue des Saules is the only working vinyard in Paris; in October they have the big "vendanges" celebrating the new wine. <BR><BR>Montmartre is wonderful on a Saturday or Sunday morning, or early evening, when the residents are out and about doing their thing.

ttt Jun 27th, 2002 01:51 PM

ttt

Melissa Jun 27th, 2002 10:19 PM

OK....you want a good restaurant? Here is mine. When you go up to Sacre Couer, as you are facing the church (with your back to the view) go down the hill on your right side. There will be stairs. At the bottom, you will find yourself in a little cul-de-sac and you will be facing 3 restaurants. Take the one on the right: L'ete en Pente Douce. <BR><BR>Everything is good. In order to have room for dessert, maybe you should have a fresh salad instead of a full entree? I would do that the next time I go there.<BR><BR>Also, I heard Agile Lapin is a cool place to go. It is across from the little vineyards, up the hill.