Montmarte or Latin Quarter

Jun 15th, 2004, 02:19 PM
aef
Original Poster

Montmarte or Latin Quarter

Currently I have two bookings...one in each place.

In Montmarte I am supposed to stay in one of the Lucky Youth apts.

In the Latin Quarter I am supposed to stay at the Hotel Excelsior.

I am finding so many pros and cons to both, that I can't really make a decision about which one to go ahead with. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestions about which accomidation is better, or which area is better. Myself, and two of my best friends are going for Bastille Day, so we really want to have the best time possible! Thanks
Jun 15th, 2004, 02:24 PM

Montmarte would not be the first choice to stay for most visitors. The Latin Quarter is much better.
Jun 15th, 2004, 02:27 PM

Hi,

If you are there with your friends, and want to have a great time, I would suggest you to stay near montmartre, it is fun, latin quarter is full of tourists, and they do not celebrate it that much. There will be more amusement in the montmartre area.

Enjoy your vacation,
Pascal
if you need more info you can also contact me here, I live in Paris since 98: [email protected]
Jun 15th, 2004, 02:36 PM

I would choose the Latin Quarter, also. I think you will find more going on there.
Jun 15th, 2004, 03:13 PM

Montmartre is one of the most historic neighborhoods in Paris, but I would have a hard time recommending it to someone who is not quite familiar with the city. The Latin Quarter is a much safer bet, on the balance, so I would recommend that you go with that. While you are in Paris, take some time to study Montmartre critically for future reference.
Jun 15th, 2004, 03:16 PM

Definately stay in the Latin Quarter. But if you are there more than 5 days, do take a walk around Montemarte one day.
Jun 15th, 2004, 03:28 PM

I love Montmartre, but would likely never stay there because it's too far removed from the center of Paris.

However, some people like staying there for that very reason.

If you prefer staying in the heart of things, where you could walk to most places, then choose the Latin Quarter.
Jun 15th, 2004, 04:01 PM

If this is your first trip to Paris, there is no question but that you should stay in the Latin Quarter. Montmartre has its special qualities, but it's not close to the main part of town.

It'll be easy enough to go visit those things in Montmartre that you've heard and read about.
Jun 15th, 2004, 04:45 PM
ira

Hi aef,

Montmartre is very hilly. If you stay there, be prepared to do a lot of climbing.

I also suggest staying in the Latin Quarter and visiting Montmartre. You can take the Montmartrebus from Pigalle to see the neighborhood.

See "Ira?s Mother?s Trip to Paris"

http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...2&tid=34497442

Jun 15th, 2004, 05:47 PM

I am a one-woman advertisement for Hotel Excelsior in the 5th on rue Cujas. My teenage son and I loved it when we stayed there last year. There are loads of students staying there because it is a hotel used by many student travel agencies. And if you are missing your pet from home, you can use the owner's big tortoise shell cat who lives in the lobby/reception and may take up with you if he chooses.
Jun 15th, 2004, 06:30 PM

crepes, I didn't even pay attention to aef's hotel in the Latin Quarter the first time I read this. Back in the mid-90s, on a trip to Paris with two friends, we stayed on rue Cujas, at the Grand Hotel St-Michel, right across the street from the Excelsior. One day I stopped into the Excelsior to take a look at it. Apparently there are two parts, the front part and kind of a rear "annex"...is that right? I was only able to see a room in that rear "annex" and, while clean and functional, it was sure aesthetically disappointing after the nice lobby. Out of curiousity, where did you stay there (front or rear) and what did you think of your room?

Jun 15th, 2004, 06:43 PM

Capo - we stayed in the front with a room on the street side on the first floor. Since there were no twin rooms available, the owner gave us a triple. The room was very big and the linens and curtains were nice and new and coordinated (not always the case in a budget hotel).

Now, let me say that this is not a hotel I'd recommend to someone wanting a 3 star with quaint, French ambiance. But this poster's choice was between this and the "Lucky Youth Apts" in Montmartre. I don't know the Lucky personally, but I've yet to see a place in Montmartre where I'd really feel comfortable. My view of it is, it's a nice place to visit, but I wouldn't want to live there. LOL
Jun 15th, 2004, 06:53 PM

Merci, crepes. I got the impression the rooms in the back may be (or may have been back then anyway) more spartan in appearance than those in front. I certainly agree the Excelsior hotel wouldn't please someone who required 3-star trappings and ambience. But I like that location, right across the street from the Luxembourg Gardens, and it struck me as a good value for the money.

When we stayed at the Grand Hotel St-Michel that year, it was considered a budget hotel. I stopped by a few years later and it appeared to be substantially upgraded.