Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Montjuic in Barcelona. Looking for safety and transport tips (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/montjuic-in-barcelona-looking-for-safety-and-transport-tips-825221/)

primeranoche Feb 6th, 2010 02:35 AM

Montjuic in Barcelona. Looking for safety and transport tips

Hi,

I'm interested in visiting the Museu Nacional d'Art de Catalunya on Montjuic, but I've read in the past that Montjuic is an area of Barcelona where tourists get targeted for theft, even thuggish sort of theft. I won't be carrying valuables with me, but I would like to know if this is urban legend or if some precautions in transportation are indeed in order. Don't mind springing for a taxi if that makes sense, but am not sure how to get one after visiting the museum.

Any and all relevant info about getting to and from the museum safely is appreciated!

Pvoyageuse Feb 6th, 2010 03:35 AM

As you exit the museum walk down the stairs to Plaza d'Espana and you'll find plenty of taxis there. I never felt unsafe in Monjuic and the Museu is wonderful :-)

isabel Feb 6th, 2010 04:00 AM

Any city has pickpockets, and Barcelona is reportedly among the worst. But I was there four years ago and didn't have any problems at all, felt totally safe. I am returning next month. Having said that I ALWAYS wear an under the clothing style money belt into which goes my passport, all credit cards/ATMS and cash with the exception of one credit card and the days cash. That goes in a front pocket of my jeans. And the bag I carry that has the camera, etc does have a secure zipper closing. That and just being aware of who is around you, not stopping to talk to people who are begging, pretending to drop things, etc. General city smarts.

There are a number of ways to get up there, no need for a taxi. You could take the metro to Plaza Espanya and walk up. There are lots of steps but some are escalators and the view is great. You could also take the metro to Parallel and then the funicular up. It is a park so I could imagine that at night there could be times you wouldn't want to walk around by yourself but during the day it seemed pretty safe. I'm not a Barcelona expert, I was only there once but we did walk around up there and didn't see anything that felt sketchy.

If you take the Tourist Bus there is a stop right up there in front of the museum (almost I think). If this is your first trip then the tourist bus is a good deal. We did the two day pass and really enjoyed it.

yk Feb 6th, 2010 04:55 AM

On my recent trip to Barcelona (Nov 09), I went up to Montjuic 3 times because it's so nice up there (great view, cleaner air, Green space). I thought that area is VERY safe, esp near the MNAC. If you're wandering around the gardens and parks on Montjuic (which I did as well), it's a lot more quiet but I still felt very safe.

To get to MNAC, the easiest is to take bus or subway to Placa Espanya, then take the escalator up. If you want to wander around Montjuic a bit (and I highly recommend visiting the Miro Fondation), you can take the subway to Parallel stop then change for the free funicular up Montjuic.

In case you don't know, your ticket for MNAC is valid for 2 days, so you can split up your visit as the museum is huge.

[You can click on my name to look for my detailed trip report.]

danon Feb 6th, 2010 06:35 AM

totally agree with yk!
Montjuic is a lovely green space in a fabulous city.

usernameistaken Feb 6th, 2010 07:09 AM

I stayed in an apartment in Monjuic in 2006. I found it safe and residential. Just keep your wits about you and you should be fine!

primeranoche Feb 6th, 2010 11:40 AM

Thanks for all these reassuring replies and tips. Actually, it's not my first trip to Barcelona, just a first trip up to Montjuic, and I don't know where I picked up the erroneous info. Glad to have double checked it.

Thanks again.

Martine200 Feb 6th, 2010 12:48 PM

Agree with everyone - found Montjuic lovely and safe. A strange older man did follow me around a bit, but I guess he got bored, as he disappeared after 10 or so minutes.

I walked everywhere in Barcelona. It is a bit of a climb to Montjuic, but the area is beautiful and it helps to work off all the delicious paellas and tapas you are going to enjoy:)

Eurocentric Feb 6th, 2010 02:02 PM

Since the museum is on the side of Montjuic and not the top, I agree with Pvoyageuse that you may want to approach it and leave it from Placa Espanya. The other advantage of that is walking by the Font Majica.

If you are a swimmer, you might want to take a dip in the Olympic pools (indoor and outdoor), which are now public. It was 9 euro for the day, which includes use of the fitness facilities.

We've been to Barcelona multiple times and heard all the stories about pickpockets. We did witness one incident, getting onto a Metro car but were not targeted ourselves. To me, the precautions are the same as in any other major city.

primeranoche Feb 7th, 2010 02:33 AM

Thanks! I have a friend who was pickpocketed in Placa Espanya after buying train tickets. He guessed somebody saw where he hid his wallet. I don't plan on carrying anything valuable.

alihutch Feb 7th, 2010 02:40 AM

I just carry a wallet in my bag tucked under my arm. I've more secure if I follow my usual routine. It only goes wrong when I do something like wear a money belt!
Never seen any problems in Barcelona