montepulciano or Pienza for 3 nights?

Feb 10th, 2005, 08:50 PM
Original Poster

montepulciano or Pienza for 3 nights?

I need help in determining were to spend 3 nights.We will have a car and will be doing day trips. For the nights I would love a place that has restaurants and we can easily walk to
Feb 11th, 2005, 05:19 AM
DRJ

I stayed three nights in Pienza last November at Ill Chiostro di Pienza, right in the center of town. My car was parked over night and returned to me in the morning. Nice place with caring staff.

For dining, a block or so away is Il Rossellino, a tiny mom and pop place with twelve seats. Some of the best food I've had in thirteen trips to Italy in the last few years.
Feb 11th, 2005, 05:54 AM

Last summer we spent a week at the Poggiolo apartments in the heart of Montepulciano. We loved it. But "easy" to walk to is not something I'd toss around lightly. It is a big climb either direction anywhere in that town. I fell in love with Pienza one morning when we got off the bus there to hike back through Montichiello to Montepulciano. I would think Pienza really suits the bill and has spectacular views, yet remains pretty level for the most part.
Feb 11th, 2005, 07:17 AM

Toss a coin--both are great but Montepulciano is much larger and has more food choices--also more hilly.
My choice for centro location is the next town down the pike--San Quirico.
Look at Palazzo del Capitano. Cute village and very nice hotel.
Feb 11th, 2005, 07:44 AM

San Quirico would be my choice also. You get to really experience Italian small village life up close there - much more so than in Pienza. The Hotel that Bobthenavigator mentioned is relatively new, so it has not made the big tour books yet (I don't think). It has a nice lawn area about 10 ft above the streets, where you can relax in a lawn chair & look out over the rooftrops of the medieval village. There hotel also owns two reataurants in town, and very nice mom & pop trattatoria (outide dining), and a more formal one at the hotel itself. There are at least 2 other nice trattatorias in town & a good pizza place just outside the medieval walls. Location is perfect.

San Quirico & Pienza are flat, but like Ira said, Montepulciano is a steep climb.

Stu Dudley
Feb 11th, 2005, 09:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you for you advice. Since I have a car would parking be an issue in either town? Especially if we are going to do day trips.
Feb 11th, 2005, 09:14 AM

Hi Monica, I just booked a room for three nights at the Palazzo del Capitano in San Quirico for September, per Bob's suggestion. He's never steered me wrong. Regarding parking this was written on a slow travel review....Good luck deciding, planning is half the fun.

When I booked the hotel, I asked for parking - big mistake. If you do not ask for parking, you park in a parking area just outside the city walls. If you park in the right spot (just to the left when you enter the town from the SS2), you have a 5 minute walk to the hotel. We arrived at night and could not find the hotel, so parked and walked until we found it, then got directions to their private parking. The private parking was a very narrow garage on the very narrow street across from the hotel. This street is pedestrian, with residents cars only. It took five back and forths to get out of the parking garage onto the street - not so easy if you want to go in and out a couple of times each day. Next time, I will forget about asking for parking!!
Feb 11th, 2005, 10:02 AM

Our closest friends have a second home in San Quirico, and they stay there for months at a time. We've visited them for many weeks also. They/we always park in the lot that easygoer described. It's lit at night and in/out is a breeze.

Stu Dudley

Stu Dudley
Feb 11th, 2005, 10:16 AM

I would rate Pienza as the prettier village; San Quirico d'Orcia is the more authentic; and Montepulciano is bigger. I would choose one of the first two.

Also, think about driving short distances to a variety of restaurants. Although the food in this area is very good. Either P or SQ have good restaurants, but not that many.