Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Vianden Castle how much time is needed to see it?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18th, 2005, 11:10 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I will be visiting there and I am wondering how much time to set aside for it. I understand that it is by a medival village. Anything else I should explore while there?
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Original Poster

ttt
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 01:11 PM

On a pretty June day I took the ski lift up the hill from the center of town. I then walked down to the castle and back into town.

I spent a little over an hour going through the castle itself. Looking at exhibits and enjoying the views over the town.

I don't recall anything particularly "medieval" about the town. No old city walls or anything like that. It had an old church I went into. It seemed like a pleasant, ordinary town along the river catering to a few tourists who came for the castle.

My whole visit lasted about 4 hours including a lunch snack, then it was on the road to Liege.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 02:07 PM
Original Poster

Thank you indytravel. The medieval description came from a paper I had on a proposed itinerary. Sounds like I will be able to fit in some other things that day, or plan some down time perhaps. Thank you that was helpful.
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 05:34 PM

We arrived in Vianden, via the train/bus, in the late afternoon, and checked into our room at the Victor Hugo Hotel. We had a delicious dinner at the little restaurant across the street - ate on the terrace over the River.

The next morning we had planned to take the chairlift up to the castle, but we were there too early in the season and the lift was still closed. Instead, we strolled up the road to the castle, which only took about 15 minutes. It was a gentle hill - it looked daunting, at first, but turned out to be quite an enjoyable walk. There were several little stores scattered among the buildings along the road.

We probably spent 45 minutes to an hour roaming around the castle. We might have stayed longer, except our travelling friend was not feeling well and was waiting at the hotel for us. By noon we were on our way to Luxembourg City.

Vianden is a lovely little town, and if you have the opportunity, I would definately recommend a visit.

Footnote: As we were leaving the castle we passed two young boys, about 9 to 11 years old, who were playing on the hillside by the castle gate. Armed with sticks as weapons, the kids were climbing around the stones, defending "their castle". My husband desperately wanted to pick up a stick and join in the play, envious of the great playground that these kids' had in their backyard!

Enjoy your travels. Peace.

Robyn >-
Old Apr 18th, 2005, 06:06 PM
Original Poster

Great story Robyn and thank you for the info. My passion for castles started at their age and it hasn't let up. I would have wanted to join in as well.
Old Apr 19th, 2005, 03:26 AM

dsm -

I think you will enjoy this castle. It has been very well preserved. The castle is sparsly furnished, although there are several rooms which are theme decorated such as the kitchen, parlor, etc.

The chapel, I felt, was just exquisite - sparse, but painted with beautiful, bold colors. And the architechture of the room was very interesting - the base was 10-sided with a six-sided, two storey chancel/alter - it's hard to explain, you'll just have to go and see for yourself.

There is an exhibit about the history of the castle, and lots of armor. It's a self-guided tour, so you can pretty much just roam around the castle, exploring as much as you want. There are several spots where you can stop and enjoy the beautiful views over the Our Valley.

I can recommend the Restaurant Auberge, which is along the River Our and across the street from the Hotel Victor Hugo. If you are staying the evening, I would also recommend the Hotel Victor Hugo - decent size rooms that seemed to be recently renovated. Two years ago the cost was EUR68.00 double and EUR49.50 single.

In town is the Maison de Victor Hugo, a little museum which we did not have a chance to visit. If you will have a car, about 2-3 miles out of town is a dam/waterworks, which my husband would have wanted to visit, but alas, we were using public transport.

I hope you enjoy your visit to Vianden - and enjoy the child within you. Peace.

Robyn >-

Old Apr 19th, 2005, 01:31 PM
Original Poster

Thanks so much Robyn, everytime I research and learn a little more about the stops I am going to make on my tour I get so excited about going. I have to wait until next July. It is killing me, the anticipation. I really am like a little kid sometimes, too excited and too impatient for everything.

Saving every penny I can spare for all those months, I will get there and it will be awesome. Gives me much to look forward to! I like goals, and the anticipation, and the final pay off is the best. Thanks.
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 02:03 PM

dsm -

I can certainly appreciate waiting, saving and the anticipation of taking a trip. I came to the Fodor's board over a year ago planning for a future trip to Germany, which, if we're lucky, we might be able to take next year. Until then, I travel in my mind - thanks to Fodor's - planning my trip, reading other Foderites trip reports, and sharing my travel experiences with other people.

Have you considered a stop in Clervaux, which is in Northern Luxembourg? It is a tiny little town (on the rail line) with a 12C chateau which houses the photographic exhibition by Edward Steichen - <i>The Family of Man</i>.

We were totally awe-struck, from beginning to end, by the 503 images that are assembled in the chateau. The exhibition first opened in January 1955 at the Museum of Modern Art in New York. The photos are as poignant today as I am sure they were 50 years ago.

There is a book on the exhibition - available on Amazon.com, or maybe your library - that I keep on my coffee table to remind me of my BeNeLux journey.

Since you like castles, and if you have the opportunity, I would highly recommend a stop in Clervaux. There is also a WWII Battle of the Bulge museum in the chateau, but we never got to it because we spent all our time at the <i>Family of Man</i>.

Enjoy your time planning - I sometimes think it's more fun than taking the actual trip. Peace.

Robyn &gt;-
Old Apr 20th, 2005, 05:39 PM
Original Poster

Robyn, I do not have much control over planing the over all trip, just a few hours of down time on a few days (hours) here and there. I am going over with a group of singers. We have a 86 member choral group, we sing both sacred and secular music and will be doing friendship concerts in Belgium, Netherlands and Luxemborg. I think it will be a total of twelve days. I am a little nervous about having enough stamina to sight see and tour during the day, and perform at night. I am the youngest in the group, and I am no spring chicken! I don't know how all these older ladies and gents are going to do it.

I did not really want to go at first, I want to go to Italy, that is my dream trip, but no one will go with me. I will figure out a way, but in the mean time, I thought I would do some research on the places that she is trying to put on our list. Once I saw the pictures of the countryside, castles, windmills.........well, I thought, I am going!

I have a list of cities now, Amsterdam, with a canal boat tour, then I can pick from Anne Frank house, Heineken brewery or Rijksmuseum. I will probably pick the museum. Any thoughts?

We then journey to Delft, visiting the world famous pottery factory, and some picturesque windmills , we have a concert at night.

We head to Maastricht, I have free time to explore the city and Vrijthof square.
(any thoughts?) Then we travel to Luxemborg. Dinner and overnight.

This is where I get to see Viadeen Castle (YEA!) Evening concert.

Travel to Belgium. Stop at Bastogne, continue to Brugge. Dinner and overnight.

We have a canal tour here, and I think I get to explore a bit, any thoughts?
We have a concert at night.

We travel to Ghent. We will tour the Castle of the Counts of Flanders (yea! castle) And the Graslei, which is &quot;a magnificent row of guild houses along the River Leie. Dinner and over night. Concert.

Travel to Brussels, a whole free day.

I will check out the book you recommended on amazon, next payday.

I hope that you get to Germany soon! Isn't it amazing that the things that you stumble across when you travel become these little gems in your memory that you keep with you forever.

I will never understand my family who hates to travel, who don't want to leave their couch, and take off out of this cornfield in PA that we live in. I mean I am happy to live here, peaceful and quiet. Nice place to live, but I would not want to visit, HA! Sorry I am in a weird mood tonight. Thanks so much for all your thoughts and sharing your stories. People like you are what keep me coming back to this board to &quot;talk&quot; about travel.
Old Apr 21st, 2005, 05:14 PM

dsm -

What a wonderful opportunity that you have. I have visited all of the places that you will be travelling to, except for Bastogne, and can assure you that you will not be sorry that you have embarked on this adventure.

AMSTERDAM - If you plan the Anne Frank House for later in the day (I think they are open until 9pm), you usually don't have to wait in line. Try to avoid it first thing in the morning. I've been to Amsterdam 4 times and have yet to do the Heineken Tour - if you have to choose, I would definately say the Rijksmuseum, just to see the Dutch Masters. And don't miss the dollhouses - some of the best I've ever seen. I've been to several exhibitions at the Nieuwe Kerk on Dam Square - is this where you will be performing?

DELFT - Will you be going to De Porceleyne Fles or De Delftse Pauw? These are the two pottery factories in town which provide you with a certificate of authenticity from the Delft Chamber of Commerce with each piece that you purchase. I've purchased from both factories and have found De Delftse Pauw more affordable (especially when I'm buying presents for everyone for Christmas). You can buy the traditional blue &amp; white Delft ware OR a beautiful multi-colored piece. I have several of each from both factories. Will you be performing in the Nieuwe Kerk in Delft?

MAASTRICHT - This is a neat old Roman city to roam around in. If you have the time, I would recommend the Treasury at St. Servaasbasiliek. It is a very impressive collection of religious objects and artifacts. (My husband and I are interested in reliquaries since we saw an exhibit at the Nieuwe Kerk in Amsterdam - <i>The Way to Heaven</i>. Also, if you have time, try to check out the Onze Lieve Vrouwebasiliek which is quite imposing, and very old (11C-12C). Where will you be singing in this town, maybe one of the churches?

LUXEMBOURG - If you will be in Luxembourg City, I would recommend a stroll on the Chemin de la Corniche to the Bock Casemates. There you can spend some time exploring the &quot;caves&quot; where people for hundreds of years sought refuge. If you have any extra time, and it's a nice day, you can walk down to the valley floor where there is a beautiful park area to explore. You can take the lift back up to the main level of the city at the Plateau du St.-Esprit just outside the Grund section of town. Will you be singing at Vianden Castle?

BRUGGE - We enjoyed everything we did and saw of Brugge when we visited - even doing our laundry at Mr. Washery. I really enjoyed watching the women make lace at the Kantcentrum. It reminded me of a quilting bee - the hands were moving as fast as the mouths. I bought a small piece of lace for myself (EUR25). Also, check out the Basiliek van het Heilig Bloed (speaking of reliquaries). Where will you be singing in Brugge?

GHENT - We only spent 3 hours in Ghent on our way from Brugge to Delft, so we didn't have enough time to get to the Gravensteen. We took the lift to the top of the Belfort for a great view of the town, toured through the two churches, and did a walk about the Kornlei &amp; Grasslei.

BRUSSELS - The Grand Place (especially at night) and the Mannekin Pis are the top two tourist things to see in Brussels. Since I've only stopped in Brussels a couple of times for a few hours each, I've never had a chance to check out any of their many museums.

WOW - I just got to relive my last holiday, which was spent touring BeNeLux for 16 days, thanks to your post. Thanks for the memories.

So you live in a cornfield in PA - so do I. Bloomsburg, the only town in Pennsylvania. Peace.

Robyn &gt;-
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 05:40 AM
Original Poster

I do not have any info on where we will be singing yet. I know that the director is working those things out. She did mention a few of the people she has been in contact with have asked her what we will be singing, and she doesn't know yet. We have been so focused on our last program. We were just trying to make through our Cole Porter! I was not easy music I don't think. It might be worse than the Gershwin we sang. It doesn't help that I do not read music. Anyway, we break for summer. Start up just after labor day to work on our xmas concert. Then break for two weeks and start practicing for spring concert. That will be all the music that we will be singing while we travel. She never reveals music to us until that first night. It is always a suprise.

So I am sorry that I do not know specifics yet. I will let you know and probably ask for more advice if that is okay when more facts come in.

I do think I will chose the museum. Dollhouses? I would have never thoight that. It sounds neat.

I would like to purchase a tiny piece of pottery to take home. I am hoping something special catches my eye. I am so worried about saving for this trip!
I want to have a nice time, not worrying about every penny I spend. My budget is stretching to the seams. It will be worth it. I have always been able to budget and attain my goal whenever I save for anything. I have faith. Things are so much more meaningful when you have to earn them.

The caves in Luxembourg sound like something I would explore too. I am going to make notes of all that you tell me.

I have seen women make lace here in PA, but I will definitely be impressed again, no doubt. The woman that I saw was no moving very quickly. It would be neat to buy some lace too.

I will have to tell you about anything exciting that I find in Ghent, since you were only there for a few hours.

I need to get to work unfortunately. I am only 20 miles from you! I am in Unityville. I have been to Bloomsburg many times of course. Many plays at the BTE! Dinners and some shopping there. I go through Buckhorn a lot while traveling. I usually meet people at the Wendy's when we need to commute places. I have not been to the Columbia Mall since I started working at the Lycoming Mall. So I normally head to Williamsport for things I need. I should head down there for a change of pace one day.

When I was have some problems at my church in Muncy, I was goign to check out ST. Pauls. That is the Episcopal one I believe. Anyway things were resolved and we fired the rector. I thought why should I let him push me out of my church?

Bloomsburg is a lovely town. A couple of the kids that work for me go to school there.
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 02:24 PM

dsm22 -

It sure is a small world. I use to work for the B.T.E., back in the 1980's (fiscal administrator), I've had community parts in several of their plays, and I usher at least once for each play they put on - perhaps I've shown you to your seat, or you've seen me on stage!

Were you planning on going to see <i>The Women of Lockerbie</i>? I have two free passes for the show, which runs April 22 - May 15, that I would be happy to offer to you. My husband and I will be ushering on Thursday, May 5, so we get to see the show for free. I offered the passes to one of my friends, but she e-mailed yesterday and said she couldn't use them. If you would like to come on May 5th, when I usher, so we could meet - have a Fodor's GTG (Get together) - that would be fine. Or if you can't make it that day and would like to use them another time, that would be fine too. I just hate to see the passes go to waste.

And if you have any other questions about your trip, especially when you receive more info about it, please feel free to post here at Fodor's on this thread - I check in several times a day.

Peace, Robyn &gt;-
Old Apr 22nd, 2005, 06:37 PM
Original Poster

OMG Robyn that is so sweet. I will ask my husband if he would like to go. I know my best friend is up to her eyeballs in school work. Last week before finals and she is going nuts. I think she will be staying over night in Lock Haven. (she is a prof. @ LHU) I can ask her if she can go with me.

I actually get off early that day and I might be able to. I have to scrounge up a date. My husband milks cows, so it would depend on how early it starts. I will ask him on the morrow.
He is asleep already. A time would be good though. When does it start?

I cannot recall many of the plays that I have seen there, but I do remember that one time we went to see Cinderella
and two guys played the wicked step sisters and it was SOOO funny. They were really good. The one scene where they were trying to cram their foot in the shoe everyone was laughing so hard they were delaying what they had to say because of the roar of the crowd. I laughed so hard I cried. Out of everything I have seen that is what I remember. For a while my brother-in-law was giving us tickets at Christmas. Thank you. dsm
Old Apr 23rd, 2005, 02:44 AM

dsm -

If you want to come to the play on Thursday evening, the house opens at 6:30 and the curtain goes up at 7:00. The show runs 1 hour 45 minutes with no intermission, so you would be out of the theatre by 9:00 pm. Friday and Saturday performances start at 8:00pm and I believe Sunday's performance begins at 3:00. I sure hope you can muster up a date and use the passes.

If you want to e-mail me with your name and when you would like to attend, that would keep personal information off the board. My address is rbjay(at)uplink.net - (replace at with @) and please put FODORS in the subject line, so I know it's not spam.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Peace, Robyn &gt;-
Old Apr 25th, 2005, 07:42 AM
Original Poster

Thank you Robyn, I sent you out an email
and I am hoping that it worked.

Perhaps we could all meet for a drink afterward. Just email me what you think.

Old Apr 26th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Hello Dawn -

I replied to both of your e-mails, but they were returned to me as undeliverable. Do you have a spam blocker on, which might keep my mail from coming through? Is your e-mail address correct, since I &quot;replied&quot; to your messages?

I will reserve two tickets for you in your name to pick up at the box office, which opens at 6:00 pm - house opens at 6:30 and curtain goes up at 7:00.

Since my husband and I will be ushering, we must be there at 6:00-6:15. But perhaps we can get together after the show for a quick drink.

FYI - If you go to Russels for dinner they usually offer Bouillabaisse on Thursdays.

I look forward to meeting you on Thursday, May 5.

Peace, Robyn &gt;-
Old Apr 26th, 2005, 02:48 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I think I do have a SPAM blocker. My bro in law set up the computer, I am so computer challenged, it's not even funny. I just barely know who to do what I need to do on them, and not much else. Sorry.

I know I have gotten emails from others.
I can't seem to get anything with pictures. I don't know. If it keeps me from getting some nasty virus so be it. That whole idea makes me a nervous wreck given my lack of computer skills.

Bouillabaise sounds really good, actually. Thanks!
Old May 4th, 2005, 05:57 PM

Hey Dawn -

Your tickets will be at the box office under your name. I look forward to meeting you. Oh, and you might want to bring some tissues - I understand <i>Women of Lockerbie</i> is a real tear-jerker. See you tomorrow. Peace.

Robyn &gt;-
Old May 5th, 2005, 12:19 PM

topping for dsm - see you in a couple of hours. Peace.

Robyn &gt;-

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -