Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
grouping for london trip

Do these look right?

St Paul Cathedral
London Bridge
Tower of London
Globe Theatre
Tate Modern (Globe and Tate not to tour just to see)

St jame Palace
Buckingham palace (just to see)
Westminster Abby
House Guards
house of Parliament (just to see)
Cabinet war rooms?

Natural History
Harrods
Wellington arch
up to Abby Road and Marylebone for the afternoon/evening

London Eye
Trafalgar square
convent Garden Market

British Museum
hitting some vintage shops

there for 7 days, leaving two days for walking, drinking, eating, taking it all in

Also thinking of doing Fat Tire bike tour - heard it was fun to do
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 06:25 AM

Just a question do you mean London Bridge (which isn't much of anything), or Tower Bridge (which is the bridge which many Americans think is called London Bridge)? Tower Bridge is handily place next to - The Tower of London.

On that tour if you cross the river from St Paul's to Tate Modern you will take the Millennium (foot) Bridge, turn left on the south side and you can walk along to Tower Bridge via Southwark Cathedral and Borough Market.

Also do not confuse Abbey Road with Abbey Road Station. Many do.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...-crossing.html

Also DO NOT take the tube to Covent Garden from Leicester Square or Charing Cross, it's quicker to walk. In fact don't take the tube to Covent Garden from anywhere unless you like waiting for the lift.

Personally I wouldn't bother with Harrod's or the Wellington Arch but that's just me.
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 06:59 AM

Sounds fun, phillycheese. I am with Havana, especially one the last sentence. I think the V&A is worth at least a short visit since you'll be at the Natural History Museum just down the block.

Borough Market is certainly worth it, as Havana says, short walk from Tate Modern, and is by far best on Thurs or Fri mornings; otherwise crazy crowded.
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 07:31 AM

Agreed - was at Borough Market last Thursday morning. Lunch in Roast, window seat, best people watching in towan.
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 07:45 AM
Original Poster

Thanks so much, I will make the changes !
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 07:51 AM

The first group is a bit much to do in one day unless you are just walking by all of them except Tower of London.

The second group seems fine in one day. You might choose to do London Eye that same day as it is just across the river from Big Ben.

The third group is fine. But the Victoria & Albert Museum is probably more "English" than the Natural History Museum which is great but similar to those in NY or Chicago or wherever). Of course they are free so even if you just want to pop in for a few minutes to both museums you can.

The fourth group seems "light". If you are doing Trafalgar Square consider to add one or more of the National Gallery, St Martin in the Fields Church and/or the home of Benjamin Franklin.

On the day you do the British Museum there are lots of interesting little book stores around that area. When I lived there I had a great pamphlet with all of them listed that I picked up in one of them. You might ask in the bookstore that is directly across the road from the museum for it or at this charity bookshop nearby: http://www.oxfam.org.uk/shop/local-s...omsbury-street.
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 07:59 AM

Borough Market has great seating or standing to have a quick lunch. Roast also has a sandwich stand and I highly recommend the Pork with Applesauce Sandwich. There are numerous food stalls selling Spanish, French, Italian, etc. Sometimes I get bread, cheese, and olives and take them back to the hotel for dinner.
If you haven't been to the Victoria and Albert, it is well worth a look. The gift shop is outstanding and the food court is also very good. I especially like the ceramics and fiber exhibits but there are many wonderful objects there.
Fortnum and Mason's near Piccadilly Circus has a great food hall with wonderful teas and huge hampers. It is smaller than Harrod's and isn't quite as busy. They also have several restaurants that have excellent food.
Old Mar 8th, 2013, 08:10 AM

Depending on your interests, you might look at adding the British Library to your British Museum day. It's about a 20 minute walk between them. Can see the Treasure Room in the Library in about an hour.

Agree with the above other suggestions for most part. Harrod's IS iconic, so if you are near there, and have time, pop in expecting to encounter mashed and mashing masses and just see what all the fuss is about! But