Best Place in Europe to Retire?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27th, 2003, 08:24 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I read somewhere that the South of France was one of the very best places to retire as long as you leave every six months to avoid having to pay some tax. I think the other stipulation was that you should not own property, but rent. Retirement is quite far off for us, but the way time flies lately, who knows.

I was wondering if any of you have chosen or have a dream retirement destination.

Growing old in the South of France sounds like fun to me, but we will be in Italy since we already have property there and DH would never sell.
Old Aug 27th, 2003, 11:00 PM

Good numbers of English middle classes retire to Provence, inland from the Riviera, and of the English working classes to southern Spain and Malta. In the first two they have paperwork but pay no special taxes, as the countries are inside the European union ? where Malta joins them next year.

[email protected]
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 05:53 AM

Hi,
This is an interesing question. I have thought of southern Italy or Crete as the weather in the winter months should be warmer. Is this true? My husband got a Greek passport so we could live in Europe for a few months every year when we retire and not have worry if we want to buy a place. You can get a passport from some European countries, but you can only go back as far as your grandfather's birth place. Also as an English speaker it would be nice to live around other English speakers. I think I can learn Italian, but forget Greek. Vermont in the summer and Italy or Greece in the winter. It's nice to dream.
Yipper
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 07:04 AM

Hi
3 other couples us are thinking of buying (renting) 4 different places! One in South of France/Provence, one in Tuscany, a place in Paris and a place in New York. Every 3 months we all switch places. A car in every garage, sheets/towels at the place, just bring your own clothes!!
talk about dreams :-?
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 07:09 AM

Assuming no more than 6 months of the year, I would choose just outside Lugano for the best location to see much of the Alps and Italy from a major rail head town that is delightful.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 06:52 PM

A houseboat docks on The Thamas somewhere in London.

During the season, go to lectures,concerts, theatres and numerous bookstores.

Off season, take the boat traveling along endless waterways in the U.K.

Take advantage of hundreds cheap flights departing from London, jump on a plane anytime for anywhere by a whim.

Old Aug 28th, 2003, 07:11 PM

Lewis, I absolutely LOVE the way you think! Sure hope you get to live your dream.
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 07:17 PM

Oh, God, Lewis. Quit putting evil thoughts into our heads. How can we ever concentrate on the present with dreams like that?
Old Aug 28th, 2003, 07:22 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Since this terrible heat wave in France, I have been following every word in print and forum and it seems when you get elderly, best be in Belguim.