Montalcino to Rome: by car, bus, train?

Old Jul 6th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Montalcino to Rome: by car, bus, train?

After 3 days in Florence and six in Montalcino we will be travelling for a final three days in Rome. We will have a car and could drive to Rome, returning the car wherever it would be most convenient. We could return the car in Siena or Chiusi and take a train or bus to Rome. Or perhaps some other way.

We would like to get to Rome as easily and quickly as possible. Any thoughts?
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 08:43 AM

If the Chiusi train schedule works for you, I'd turn the car in there. We've driven into Rome from there and, while it wasn't too difficult, it was a little hair-raising at times!
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 08:48 AM

Drop the car in Grosetto---not that far from Montalcino with numerous trains into Rome. Siena and Chiusi would be in the wrong directions.
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 08:49 AM

We have been in Italy for four days now -- traveled from Milan Airport to Milan Rail station: took train to Varenna; returned from Varenna via Milan then to Santa Margherita. Staying in Margherita for 3 nights then taking train to Pisa where we will rent a car and drive through Tuscany. If I never see a train again, I will be happy! The rail system is great, but trying to purchase tickets with hordes of people around, trying to find platform, trying to find someone to help, hoisting luggage, climbing hill after hill with luggage to rail station has worn me out! Since you only have the one destination, it may be easier for you, but, next time I come to Italy I will rent car the entire trip!,
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 09:26 AM

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
>>>next time I come to Italy I will rent car the entire trip!<<<

Since you aren't allowed to drive in many of those towns (limited to residents - ZTL), if you rent a car, you will be searching for places to park outside the ZTL zones. Pack lighter and buy some of your train tickets online or in the tabacchi (or any store with a Trenitalia logo).

>>>We could return the car in Siena or Chiusi and take a train or bus to Rome.<<<

It would depend on the day of the week and what rental company. Many rental companies will be closed Saturday afternoon and Sundays in small towns (including Siena). Orvieto might be another option (it's a couple of train stops south of Chiusi). It would be a shorter/easier drive to Siena or Chiusi than to Grosseto.
Old Jul 6th, 2014, 12:28 PM

Actually, Grosetto is closer than Chiusi and it is closer to Rome--overall an easier trip.
Old Jul 8th, 2014, 03:13 PM
Original Poster

Thank you for all your responses, interesting to see the varied choice in cities.

It looks like we are willing to drive into Rome to return the car. I'm not sure of the return location, it depends on the car we rent: a Ford Grand C-Max is through Kemwel/Hertz and has a return near the Vatican or an Alfa Romeo Giuiletta through Sixt. Both locations are just off major roads.

Both cars, we are told will hold 4 carry-on suitcases - which is important as we are two couples.