Montalcino or Montepulciano

Jul 31st, 2007, 08:53 PM
Original Poster

Montalcino or Montepulciano

Need advice on which of the two towns we should stay overnight, that will be 2 nights after that we'll drive to Venice.
Aug 1st, 2007, 09:43 AM
Original Poster

anyone
Aug 1st, 2007, 10:00 AM

have you read about either of them? Does either seem more interesting to you? Both have great wine tasting opportunities.
Aug 1st, 2007, 12:50 PM

Both are wonderful---Montepulciano is closer to the A-1 highway and easier to access. There are numerous options to stay in the country side close to there as well. Look at Le Traverse B&B just south of Pienza.
Aug 1st, 2007, 02:12 PM

Locanda di San Francesco in Montepulciano. You'll thank me.
Aug 1st, 2007, 04:45 PM

I haven't been to Montepulciano, so I can't compare the two, but we had a grand time in Montalcino. And I always recommend dinner at Grappolo Blu in Montalcino, even if you don't stay there.
Aug 1st, 2007, 05:33 PM

we stayed just outside montalcino at an agritourismo. LOVED IT!!! quaint little village, excellent scenery, great restaurants, original brunello enoteca - the grandson of the first brunello vitner runs it...
Aug 1st, 2007, 06:13 PM

cmeyer54, would you mind sharing the name of the agriturismo? Thank you.
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:30 PM

it was La Crociona (excuse if the spelling is a bit off). the owner is Fiorella (who speaks little english. Her daughter, Barbara, has great english and was excellent in responding to my myriad of questions. we loved them both and will return at some point - they might even remember us!! carol and russ from Chicago...
Aug 1st, 2007, 07:51 PM

cmeyer54...every time I see you post, I get a deja vu thing. I'm a Meyer by birth, born in Chicago, and one of my sisters is Carla Meyer, born in '53. So I read "cmeyer54", but I see "cmeyer53". hahahah! Maybe we're cousins...but I know there are an awful lot of Meyers in Chicagoland! hahaha

Paula
Aug 2nd, 2007, 05:06 AM

Thank you crmeyer54.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 08:00 AM

I've been to both and stayed in neither.

Our friends loved staying in the hotel Il Giglio in Montalcino.

Do read Isabella Dusi's book on Montalcino, "Vanilla Beans and Brodo." Weird title, great book.

If you do, you will choose Montalcino. I am sure.

I plan to stay at least a week there on our next trip to Italy.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 09:22 AM

Only visited Montepulciano where some of the scenes from “Under the Tuscan Sun” were filmed, but stayed 4 days and 3 nights and used Il Giglio in Montalcino as our base. This quaint hotel is run by the Albergo family, father, mother and son. Anna is the “baker in private residence, dad is the sommelier and son speaks excellent English that he learned in America. Our meals and accompanying wines were included with the package along with a cooking class from Maria. Needless to say, the meals were fantastic and the wines, esp Brunello di Montacino were excellent. Would highly recommend and probably stay at the Il Giglio again. It is located close enough to anything you want to see in the surrounding area.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:13 PM
Original Poster

Thanks fairoaksjim and patcruse I have been trying to make a reservation at the Il Giglio hotel I've read very nice things about it, however they don't email back I tried calling but the owner Ana did not speak english so now I don't know what to do.
Aug 2nd, 2007, 12:14 PM
Original Poster

oh by the way patcruse where in montepulciano did they film part of the movie I would like to go there too

Search this Thread