Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Mont St Michel on or off Island? (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/mont-st-michel-on-or-off-island-743031/)

niceguycp Oct 15th, 2007 06:46 PM

Mont St Michel on or off Island?

We plan to spend two nights on or near Mont St Michel at the end of October, arriving midday Friday and departing Sunday afternoon. Should we stay on or off island? I've heard votes for both. Also, what other area sidetrips should we consider in that time? We'll be arriving and departing by TGV from Rennes and renting a car. Thanks!

hopingtotravel Oct 15th, 2007 06:57 PM

Well if you have 2 nights, how about one night on/one night off. (I know the critics will say too much moving) but that takes care of the problem.

blakejared Oct 15th, 2007 09:45 PM

St. Malo and Dinan are a nice sidetrip. When I went to Mt. St. Michel in the summer, I took a bus to St. Malo, and spent a night there and visited Dinan the next day before taking the TGV directly from St. Malo back to Paris.

klondike Oct 15th, 2007 10:10 PM

Six of us (3 couples) just back back from vacation which included an overnight stay on the MSM. For one couple it was the highlight of the whole trip; for the other two, it's up there in the top 3 or so "best memories'.

To watch the tide rush in at sunset and HEAR the crashing sound of the water as it surrounds the base of the turrets, to have a nice relaxing meal and walk the deserted street and ramparts, to sleep with the lit abbey in full view from your bed (lights go out at midnight), to wake to the mount shrouded in in thick fog and watch it lift, revealing the Abbey above...can't take that home in your luggage... and pictures just don't do it justice!

Sinc you have a car, you can still experience it from across the bay by either staying one night on/one night off as suggested, or during your other day excursions to Dinan, St. Malo, Fougères, cancale etc.

I've stayed there 3 different times, for one-nighters each time. To stay longer would lessen the magic, somehow, for me.

PalenQ Oct 16th, 2007 09:18 AM

If you stay on the island it's only about a mile walk or drive on the causeway to the mainland from where you can get the fabulous view of Mont St-Michel and its abbey gloriously illuminated.

If you stay on the mainland you can drive to the island at night for its fairy-tale atmosphere without many tourists.

The island is rarely an island - maybe a few days a year due to silting of the bay so you always have access to or from it.

aeiger Oct 16th, 2007 01:09 PM

Hi
We recently visited Mont. St. Michel with a car. We decided to stay off the island. We stayed at the Mercure. Most of the "hotels" are more like motels, drive up, 2 stories.
We ate at "La Rotesserie" one night and enjoyed the meal there. I can't rcall the other restaurant but it was more expensive. From the motel we did a sidetrip to Dinan. A really nice looking medieval city. Enjoy your trip.

coldwar27 Oct 16th, 2007 01:58 PM

As someone who has stayed on, I vote for on. I am one of those in which it was a magical experience. Have a great trip!

herself Oct 16th, 2007 02:27 PM

Magical on. Touristy off.
Stay.

Padraig Oct 16th, 2007 02:30 PM

American: on. European: off.

Decide for yourself.

kansas Oct 16th, 2007 05:45 PM

If you do decide to stay off the Mont, please consider staying at Chateau de Bouceel! We stayed there for two nights in June, 2007. You can see my trip report. It is an unforgettable experience! The count will make dinner reservations for you at a place with a great view of the Mount. We loved everything about our stay at the Chateau.

www.chateaudebouceel.com

LoriS Oct 16th, 2007 08:11 PM

A vote for off. We stayed at Chateau Richeux on the other side of the bay. We got to experience the same tidal patterns and at a very nice hotel with a great restaurant and away from the crowds.

http://www.maisons-de-bricourt.com/T...u-Richeux2.htm

cafegoddess Oct 16th, 2007 11:22 PM

I vote for on. Klondike said it best.
In the evening Mont St Michel is even more magical.

Have a great time!

I also think the omelet at Le Mare Poulard is worth it, a little pricey but worth it.