Notices

mont st michel by public transport?

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 12:28 AM
belle

mont st michel by public transport?

I'm going to France again in September and some of our party want to visit Mont St Michel. I've done it independently in a car but we won't have one this time....is it possible?

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 06:36 AM
elaine

Hi, I haven't done it but have gleaned the following info from various sources, including this forum
There are no direct trains between Paris and Mont-St-Michel. The best way to get there is to take the high-speed TGV train from Paris's Gare Montparnasse to Rennes, where you can transfer to the bus service provided by Les Couriers Bretons (tel. 02-99-19-70-70 for reservations and information, or www.lescourriersbretons.com/) for the 75-minute transfer to Mont-St-Michel.
Bus station is next to the Rennes train station, I believe.
One way transportation takes a total of well over 3 hours from Paris. You will need to take the earliest train, and that should give you about 4 hours at Mont St Michel.

I believe that Mont-Saint-Michel can also be reached by train from Rennes to Pontorson (direction Caen). At Pontorson, take a bus or taxi to Mont-Saint-Michel (a distance of 8 km approximately), but the bus is quite slow.

Given the time it takes and the money for transportation, this is one of those times when a one-day bus tour such as offered by Paris Vision www.parisvision.com or cityrama www.cityrama.com
might be well worth it.

Mont Saint Michel Tourist Information Office B.P. 4
50116 Mont-Saint-Michel, France
Tel: 02.33.60.14.30 Fax: 02.33.60.06.75

train service info
www.sncf.com

http://normandy-tourism.org/

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 07:14 AM
xxx

See "topped" post re "getting around in Normandy" which has informationonpublic transport to Mt. St. Michel.

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 07:29 AM
Jim

Belle,
I think the best way to get to Mont St. Michel is via Pontorson-I've done it and it works well.
Leave Paris-Montparnasse for Rennes at 6:35am arr in Rennes @8:55am transfer to train 89313; leaves @9:00am arrives in Pontorson @ 9:39am. Take short 15min bus ride to Mt.Michel.
Return train leaves Pontorson for Rennes or Folligny @16:29 or 16.59 depending on day of the week and arrives in Paris Montparnasse @ 20:00 or 21:36

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 07:32 AM
Jim

Belle,
Typo-Train from Rennes to Pontorson leaves @9:05 not 9:00

Old Feb 19th, 2001, 08:30 PM
belle

Thanks everyone for such detailed advice especially if you looked it up particularly for me. I thinkwe'll go but we'll stay somewhere rather than making it a daytrip from Paris. Hope I can help you sometime.