Search

Cheap Ski Holidays 2014 ?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20th, 2013, 02:10 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cheap Ski Holidays 2014 ?

Dear all

I am looking for cheap ski holidays early next year but not in school holidays (does anyone know when school holidays are on the continent / when to avoid?). I am hoping for a cheap but nice chalet for around 8 - 10 people hot tubs and saunas would be greatly received.

We have been to Switzerland many times over the years, but it is beginning to take its toll on the bank balance so would be great to find somewhere cheaper. My fave place in Switzerland is Verbier (but that's too expensive now days). have been to a few french resorts (but mainly the smaller ones but not been lucky with the snow in France).

Does anyone have any ideas?

Any help would be much appreciated

BR
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 02:46 PM

Received 50 Likes on 7 Posts
You have this tagged for the UK -- which would pretty much limit you to Scotland. I'd re-post w/ tags of countries <u>you want to visit</u>, not where you are traveling <i>from</i>.
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 06:39 PM

Aren't a number of resorts in Austria supposed to be more moderately priced?
Old Sep 20th, 2013, 07:27 PM

Slovenia - the alps look like those of neighboring Austria, but chances are that it's still cheaper, certainly way cheaper than Switzerland (what isn't?...)
www.slovenia.info/?smucanje=0
Old Sep 21st, 2013, 10:16 AM

I ski in Bulgaria. Have been to Borovets 5 times and will be returning January 2014. Just love the place, and not just because it's incredibly cheap.

But it is in no way comparable to Switzerland, Austria, France in terms of the infrastructure. I mean, they are only getting lift pass scanners for next year! Some of the Spa hotels have hot tubs, but there is only one catered chalet in resort. Most of us stay in hotels or rent apartments.

It's probably not what you are looking for, so I'll not post further now. But if you do seriously start to consider Bulgaria as a budget option, then I will offer as much help as I can.
Old Sep 23rd, 2013, 01:40 AM

Austria, for sure. In terms of quality right up there with Switzerland and France, but much cheaper.

Slovenia is a lovely country and even cheaper, but the resorts are all small, and mostly suitable for beginners, although some are good for experienced skiers as well, but you'd get bored quickly. They're better for weekend ski trips or if you combine them with sightseeing and other activities.