Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Monica - get a bigger table! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/monica-get-a-bigger-table-42082/)

KATHY Apr 12th, 1999 08:09 AM

Monica - get a bigger table!

Hi Monica. I will also be in Paris (after arriving from Brugges) from 5/10-5/17. I didn't know where the "meeting" was but kept watching this forum for details. Thanks for sharing them. If I (we) can make it, we'll stop by just to say hi! Looks like our trips are for the same time; you're doing France and we're doing Belgium - at the urging of Wes Fowler and others who have painted this tremendous and vivid picture of a quaint town. In fact, we changed our hotel from Brussels to Brugges after re-reading the posts, but haven't finalized the train travel yet. Can't wait!! We're at Hotel Champ de Mars for our week in Paris. Like you, I've planned and researched,intending to be prepared for whatever we decide to do once we arrive - knowing stops and curiosity will guide the moment this being our first trip to Paris. I will post when we return. That should be interesting discovering how each of us spent our time - could be like we were in different countries - during the same time coaxed on our individual preferences.

Kim Apr 12th, 1999 10:49 AM

<BR>Kathy - If Monica's table is too small, perhaps we can start a second one! My wife and I will be arriving in Paris on May 6th for two weeks. We'll be heading to Provence on the 11th and returning to Paris on the 17th for a couple of days before our return flight. Have also been watching the posts about a "get together" but know how problematic that can be. Still it's incredible how small the world is becoming. We will be staying at the Grands Hotel des Balcons in the 6th. Wonder how many other people that have been lurking in the cyberspace of Fodors travel forums are going to be in Paris the first two weeks of May? Have a great trip!

Monica Apr 12th, 1999 11:04 AM

Hi Kathy and Kim, I just smiled when reading both your postings! Well, 7 of us are planning to meet at Café Deux Magots in the 6th Arr. around 5-6pm on the 16th (the time hasn't been finalized yet). It's our last night in Paris as we have a 1pm flight home the next day. :( Our original idea was drinks at a café, then dinner, but Tony and I have decided that we want one last special dinner in Paris after meeting everyone for drinks. I wonder how this get together will work out since this café is so busy and tables are typically small! <BR> <BR>Kim, you mentioned that you'd return to Paris on the 17th. That means missing out on meeting my group, but I do hope that others can meet with you on another day. I'm also at Grand Hotel des Balcons (5,6,7,8 and our last night, the 16th). Will you be at Balcons at the beginning of your trip? <BR> <BR>I think it's neat that people at a travel web site can have the opportunity to meet in person! <BR> <BR>Keep in touch! And like everyone else, I'll be posting my trip notes when we return. <BR>

Monica Apr 12th, 1999 11:06 AM

Kathy, I forgot to mention in my posting that I'll be at Grand Hotel Leveque on rue Cler on 9, 10, 11, and 12th of May. You'll be around the corner from me!

Al Apr 12th, 1999 11:22 AM

HEY MONICA: <BR>Can I join you at your table?

kathy Apr 12th, 1999 12:58 PM

Kim, looks like we'll miss each other. We arrive into Paris on the afternoon of Monday, May 10 and have a flight at 11AM Monday, May 17, back to Cincinnati. Guess we'll compare notes here in this forum instead. <BR> <BR>Monica, we'll be in Paris when you return to the Hotel Levique, so the possibility of stopping by "the table" just might work for us, since that's our last evening in Paris too. I'd like that if it works!

Michèle Apr 12th, 1999 04:01 PM

Oh, Monica! I can't believe it! You and I first hooked up last year on this forum after you went to Italy and I was on my way there.<P> Now you are going to Paris and so am I, but I won't arrive until May 20. :-(<P> The idea of getting together with others from this forum is fabulous! What a hoot! Will you have a sign on the table that says "Fodors Forum"?

Monica Apr 13th, 1999 04:12 AM

Hi Kathy, actually we'll be moving from Balcons to Leveque the morning of the 9th. I've selected to areas in Paris to enjoy our visit. My first trip in 1997 was on the Left bank (5th arr.) and have heard a lot of good reviews about the rue Cler area. So, a quick hotel change, then more sightseeing! I'll keep your email and when I finalize the time, I'll let you know. Three more weeks!!! <BR> <BR>Hi Michele, yes, you and I corresponded about Italy last year. I don't think you told me about your trip? I'm sure you loved it. Too bad about the timing of your arrival. Maybe next time! <BR> <BR> Hey Aldo, you are more than welcome to join us! Get yourself an airline ticket and just GO! <BR>

Monica Apr 19th, 1999 07:14 AM

Kathy, I tried to email you twice some information about getting together on the 16th, but they did not go through. Please email me at home!

Denise Apr 20th, 1999 01:50 AM

Hi <BR>I hope you all will have a drink to absent posters. From one very jealous but friendly poster. What I would give to be there! I'm near to tears. <BR>Denise <BR>

Monica Apr 20th, 1999 04:09 AM

Yes Denise, we'll drink a toast to everyone here at this forum! Don't cry, but remember your past trips and start planning for a new one.

Bill C. Apr 20th, 1999 04:24 AM

Oops....Ah thought this was a different Monica. When Ah saw "Monica - get a bigger table!" Ah thought ya'll were a friend of mine. Seems she needs a much bigger table to get all the food she wants in front of her.

Monica Apr 20th, 1999 04:35 AM

Bill, so how big is your friend?

Monica Apr 25th, 1999 02:22 PM

Update for those interested: Tony won't be coming to France with me, so I'm bringing my Mother. I'm still meeting several others from this forum on the 16th 5:30-6pm timeframe.

Michele Apr 29th, 1999 12:34 PM

Monica: <BR> <BR>I don't know what the beginning of your message was, but I get the impression that you are all meeting in Paris at the same time. <BR> <BR>I discovered this site just a few months back after booking my trip with my Mom to Paris for May 14-25. <BR> <BR>Perhaps if we are near where you are all meeting we could drop by as well! I believe someone mentioned if you could have a sign that said Fodor's Forum on the table? That is a good idea. <BR> <BR>Is this invite open to anyone on the site? That is a cool idea, because so many of us going back and forth with questions seem to be going during Mid-May! <BR> <BR>Let me know the location, date and time, etc. <BR> <BR>Will you be just trying to do this at one time and location or more than once during the few week period? <BR> <BR>Sounds like a plan. <BR> <BR>Bonjour, Michele and Joan <BR> <BR>

Joy Apr 29th, 1999 06:54 PM

In case Monica has already left for France, I will take to liberty of answering questions about our meeting. OF COURSE EVERYONE IS WELCOME MAY 16, 5:30-6:00 AT LES DEUX MAGOTS. Near St. Germaine des Pres, Hope you will all come whether residents of Paris or visitors. If you can get there early, please try to save some tables. <BR>Joy+ <BR>

Joy Apr 29th, 1999 06:59 PM

Monica may have already left for France. Therefore, I am taking the liberty of answering in her absence. <BR>OF COURSE EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO COME TO THE MEETING: MAY 16, 5:30 AT LES DEUX MAGOT AT ST. GERMAINE DES PRES. PLEASE COME VISITORS AND RESIDENTS. IF YOU CAN ARRIVE EARLY,PLEASE TRY TO SAVE A COUPLE TABLES. <BR>JOY <BR>

Joy Apr 29th, 1999 07:01 PM

Monica may have already left for France. Therefore, I am taking the liberty of answering in her absence. <BR>OF COURSE EVERYONE IS WELCOME TO COME TO THE MEETING: MAY 16, 5:30 AT LES DEUX MAGOT AT ST. GERMAINE DES PRES. PLEASE COME VISITORS AND RESIDENTS. IF YOU CAN ARRIVE EARLY,PLEASE TRY TO SAVE A COUPLE TABLES. <BR>JOY <BR>

Monica Apr 30th, 1999 04:09 AM

Hello Michele and Joan, <BR> <BR>You can join us. I have about 5-7 people who want to meet at Cafe Deux Magots on Blvd. St. Germain. We are meeting on the 16th of May between 5:30 - 6:-00pm. I figure we can hang out together for a couple of hours. <BR> <BR>The 16th is our last evening in Paris, so I'm not planning on dinner with the group. But, who knows how it will turn out. <BR> <BR>No, I do not plan to put any sign on the table; however, I have emailed a photo of my Mother and me to those interested and recently emailed another photo of Catherine and Peter who will be joining us. So there will be 4 faces to recognize, unless others send photos. <BR> <BR>Check out this web site for a photo of the cafe: http://www.atkielski.com/PhotoGaller...gotsSmall.html <BR> <BR>This web site has other great photos of paris (free wallpaper!). I will email you directly and send you the photos. <BR> <BR>Monica

Monica Apr 30th, 1999 04:09 AM

Hello Michele and Joan, <BR> <BR>You can join us. I have about 5-7 people who want to meet at Cafe Deux Magots on Blvd. St. Germain. We are meeting on the 16th of May between 5:30 - 6:-00pm. I figure we can hang out together for a couple of hours. <BR> <BR>The 16th is our last evening in Paris, so I'm not planning on dinner with the group. But, who knows how it will turn out. <BR> <BR>No, I do not plan to put any sign on the table; however, I have emailed a photo of my Mother and me to those interested and recently emailed another photo of Catherine and Peter who will be joining us. So there will be 4 faces to recognize, unless others send photos. <BR> <BR>Check out this web site for a photo of the cafe: http://www.atkielski.com/PhotoGaller...gotsSmall.html <BR> <BR>This web site has other great photos of paris (free wallpaper!). I will email you directly and send you the photos. <BR> <BR>Monica