Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Money vs. credit cards (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/money-vs-credit-cards-70740/)

Sandra May 2nd, 2000 12:03 PM

Money vs. credit cards

I'm taking a 2-week group bus tour through Europe with stops in Amsterdam, Germany, Venice, Lucerne and Paris. I'm not sure how to divide up my spending money. Should I take more traveller's checks and not use the credit cards, or should I just charge everything and take some local currency for places that don't take credit cards? Or should I do something else?

Sjoerd May 2nd, 2000 12:09 PM

Charge all amounts above the countervalue of approximately US$ 20 to your credit card, and use your ATM card to withdraw local cash from ATMs for all small expenses. Traveller's Cheques are a thing of the past (at least in Europe). Bring a few 20/50 dollar bills for emergencies. <BR>

Monica May 2nd, 2000 12:26 PM

I normally pick up the minimum amount of foreign currency at my bank to get started along with $500 in travelers checks for emergency backup (always returned to the bank); and use my ATM and credit card when possible.

elvira May 2nd, 2000 12:55 PM

Like Monica, I always have about $100 or so of the currency of the country where I'm landing; it means I can get a cup of coffee or a Coke and a little something to eat before I make the trek into town; then it pays for the cab or train or bus. I can hit the ATM machine once I'm in the city and not so frazzled. <BR> <BR>ATM cards (I have two bank accts, different banks, one Visa, one MasterCard, $$ divided evenly between the two) for cash; two credit cards (two DIFFERENT banks from each other and the ATM cards, one Visa, one Mastercard) for hotels and large expenditures. <BR> <BR>On a bus tour, you don't have to worry about the hotels and many of the meals, so it's just souvenirs and some meals. A couple of hundred in TCs or 2 $100 bills should be all you'll need for backup (I never have backup; my ATMs and credit cards have covered every situation - if Visa is off-line, the Mastercard works, etc.) <BR>Notify your credit card company and your bank (if you're using ATMs) that you'll be overseas. They can note the accounts and not suspend your card for unusual activity (happened to me once; fortunately, I had the other 3 cards to use until I called the bank). <BR>Enjoy your trip - Europe is wonderful!

Susan May 2nd, 2000 01:47 PM

Elvira's comment re notifying your bank or credit card company is a good one. My card has never been suspended, but the last few times I've been out of the country, I did get calls from my bank re 'unusual activity'. I think I'll call them next time before I leave home!

wes fowler May 2nd, 2000 01:52 PM

Sandra, <BR>I'd suggest you charge as much as you can on credit cards (the exchange rate is highly favorable) and reduce your dependence on ATMs. You apparently won't be in any one country for more than three days; if you use ATMs you'll be making withdrawals in relatively small amounts so you won't have a load of "foreign currency" in the next country you visit. Frequent ATM withdrawals may result in bank fees charged by your bank as well as the ATM branch bank thus negating a good portion of the favorable exchange rate. <BR>