Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Money Questions (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/money-questions-430299/)

djmaxxx May 10th, 2004 05:21 PM

Money Questions

I will be in London and Paris for a week each later this month and my question is about how I should bring money. I've been many times, but the last time I went to Europe was pre-Euro and pre-proliferation on ATM's. So I guess my question is: Should I bring travelers cheques? Does anyone still use them (that's what I've done other times)? Are ATM easy to find? What are the fees like for using a American Bank card? Obviously I'll arrive with some Pounds and Euros. Thanks in advance for all the help.

Budman May 10th, 2004 05:24 PM

ATM, ATM, ATM. No European ATM fees. You'll be just fine. Enjoy your trip. I'm next!!! ((b))

Budman May 10th, 2004 05:26 PM

Sorry, I forgot, but travelers checks are a thing of the past. ((b))

abram May 10th, 2004 07:51 PM

We went to ATMs for walking around money, but used our debit cards for purchases as often as possible. The exchange rate was good, and there were none of the fees associated with ATMs.

clevelandbrown May 10th, 2004 08:00 PM

ATM and credit card surcharges are, other than the fee of 1 percent (I think) imposed by the network, a function of the bank that issues your cards. Some banks add surcharges; some don't, so you should check with your bank. ATMs are almost everywhere in Europe, and while some people tell of having problems with them, that has not been my experience. If you already have some of the local currency from a prior trip, fine, but I don't think it is worth the cost and hassle of obtaining currency before your departure; if all the ATMs fail, the taxis are reported to be happy to take a credit card.

You should insure that your PIN will work in the European machines (I know a four digit PIN works; I don't know about a six digit PIN) and that your credit card issuer knows you will be travelling, so they won't challenge your charges.

ira May 11th, 2004 04:46 AM

Hi dj,

I would convert about $50 into E and $50 into GBP at the departure airport, just to have some cash on arrival in case ATMs are not available/working upon arrival.

From then on use credit cards whenever possible (MBNA doesn't add additional charges) and ATMs when cash is required.

On our trip to Paris last week, I spent only 100E cash.

djmaxxx May 11th, 2004 10:52 AM

I guess ATM's are the way to go. Thanks

suze May 11th, 2004 12:25 PM

A combination works best for me:
1- ATM card to withdraw Euro or Pounds
2- Some US cash (in 20s) you can exchange at a bank or airport window
3- Credit card for large expenses like the hotel
4- Travelers checks if you feel the need for emergencies, but prepared to cash them at a bank (not in shops or restaurants)

The fees on an ATM are from your home bank, typically $0-3USD for an international transaction (look for a machine that matches the logos on your card i.e., Cirrus or PLUS).

I don't bother to arrive with any local currency but get some at the airport when I land (that's just me and I've yet to have a problem).

fibonacci Jun 10th, 2004 01:38 PM

I too am headed for Paris and have never used the ATM's always TC. Obvioulsly this old dog needs to learn some new tricks! I really appreciate everyones advice. Thanks! Fibonacci