Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Money question (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/money-question-1018875/)

April1961 Jul 3rd, 2014 07:02 AM

Money question

In several weeks, my wife and I will be going to Paris, Normandy, then a train ride back to Saarbrucken Germany.
My question is : How should we manage our money during the trip ?
Back in 1976, I went to Austria with my Grandparents, and they put all of their money in American Express money orders. But since we are traveling within two different countries, I'm wondering if there is a special type of credit/debit card that we could bring along and just use that for the majority of the trip.
I was planning on bringing paper money from each country along, but for convenience, and ease of paying for larger purchases along the way, does anyone have some suggestions ?
Thank you !

janisj Jul 3rd, 2014 07:07 AM

Use you ATM/debit card to get cash and use you Visa or Mastercard to charge things.

>>I was planning on bringing paper money from each country along<<

No need since both countries use the same currency (the euro) and you would get those out of cash machines w/ your ATM card.

LSky Jul 3rd, 2014 07:07 AM

We each bring a VISA card and a debit card. Take out a little cash when you arrive at the airport. France and Germany are both on the Euro so there is no change in currency.

check out your exchange rate on www.xe.com

janisj Jul 3rd, 2014 07:08 AM

oops >>Use your ATM/debit . . . << and >> use your Visa or Mastercard . . .<<

bilboburgler Jul 3rd, 2014 07:41 AM

tell your bank where you are going so they don't stop your cards.

April1961 Jul 3rd, 2014 07:57 AM

Thank you for all of the comments, letting my bank know where we are going never occurred to me :(

Pegontheroad Jul 3rd, 2014 08:37 AM

Nowadays ATM/cash machines are the best money deals, since they have the best exchange rates. Don't exchange money at kiosks in the airport or anywhere else. You'll get a bad deal.

Also tell your credit card company where and when you'll be gone. I tried to buy a camera in Spain about 10 years ago, but my credit card company denied the transaction because I hadn't notified them that I'd be traveling.

Since I'm kind of paranoid, I carry two Wells Fargo ATM cards, and two credit cards, one a Visa and one a Mastercard. I keep them in my money belt.

I asked the bank to raise the amount I can withdraw per day to $500 (in euros, of course), as my bank charges $5.00 per foreign withdrawal. Only at the end of the trip do I withdraw less than the maximum.

Pegontheroad Jul 3rd, 2014 08:42 AM

Oops! I should have added that credit cards are a good deal, too, as you get a good exchange rate with them also.

Don't get cash from your credit card, though, as the cc company will charge interest from the date when you withdraw the money, rather than from the end of the month.

Don't get travelers checks.

nytraveler Jul 3rd, 2014 09:48 AM

WOW!

This is NOT 1976 and digital banking is hte norm. You pay for all you can with your credit cars and pull walking around money from your checking account using your debit card at an ATM - preferable one located at or in a local bank.

Large amounts of cash are dangerous to carry and you will lost up to 10% of the value in exchange rates/fees. Trav Checks are not accepted anywhere - not even in banks - no one want the trouble or the risk.

Robert2533 Jul 3rd, 2014 12:16 PM

Yes, Travelers Checks are a thing of the past. As noted, with the increased security by banks, it's important to notify them that you will be using your card in France and Germany, otherwise it will be blocked.

One other point when using your debit card or credit card, American Express is the only company that will not allow the DCC, Dynamic Currency Conversion, when using the card to purchase anything, or pay for a meal. If you're not using Amex, be sure that all transactions are done in Euros only. It will save you a small bundle in fees.

suze Jul 3rd, 2014 12:21 PM

Agreeing with those above. Notify your bank, then use your ATM debit card to get local currency from an ATM machine. And have a credit card as a backup and for major purchases (hotel stays, etc.)

If you feel more comfortable having some cash upon arrival (and I don't think this is a bad idea) simply order euro from your home bank in advance of your trip.

nytraveler Jul 3rd, 2014 04:15 PM

To have 100 euros in cash to start out - just change at the departure airport bureau de change - no need to hassle with multiple day delays at a bank. The rate will be awful either way - but the B de C is much easier.