Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Europe (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/)
-   -   Money matters very much! (https://www.fodors.com/community/europe/money-matters-very-much-112651/)

cozaar Mar 15th, 2001 11:35 PM

Money matters very much!

Hi guyz,planning to visit Vienna,Prague,Budapest,Cesky Krumlov from 5th May for 16 days. <BR>1)l read that ATM machines in theses cities ONLY accept card <BR>with a 4 digit PIN but mine definitely use a 5-digit PIN.l call up my ATM card Bank and they gave ambiguous answers.l need reasurance that my PLUS system ATM card(NOT a credit visa card)can help me withdraw local currency. <BR>2)Where are the exact locations of all these ATM machines(24 hr?),do they have English instructions?safe to use? <BR>Which websites provide detailed info on the PLUS ATM machines location in these 4 cities? <BR>3)l will bring my VISA credit card but they are not widely accepted,not safe,has a service charge,aml l right?What other precautions/common fraud on usage of credit card? <BR>4)Do they accept UK Pound in money changing outlets like <BR>Bank,Post Office.Of course,l will bring mainly American dollars.Do l get a better rate if l change my Austrian Schilling while in Vienna rather than back home? <BR> <BR>l welcome any sincere/constructive advice. <BR>Thanx and have a nice day!

Brian in Atlanta Mar 16th, 2001 05:00 AM

1) Have your bank switch your card from 5 digits to 4. If they refuse, change banks. <BR>2) Do a search for Visa Plus ATM Locator on yahoo. Can't guarantee there will be English instructions, but there probably will be. If not, it's not a complicated process anyway. <BR>3) Unless you're really getting hosed by your issuer, any small surcharge (2% is common) won't matter much. Save your receipts. Do not let a shop keeper or waiter make a cash advance with your card. It should always be labeled Purchase. <BR>4) Pounds can be changed just like dollars. Don't exchange any shillings. Only get as many as you'll spend. <BR> <BR>Good luck.

Carol Mar 16th, 2001 05:54 AM

You MUST have a four digit PIN regarless of what your bank may tell you!

Joe Mar 16th, 2001 06:53 AM

Just to add emphasis, it must be four digits. Know your Pin in numerics, not alphabetically, e.g., 3647, not DOGS. Almost all keyboards will have numerics only. Idealy, have two ATM Cards, one with Cirrus and one with Plus and be sure one has Star. This way you have it covered. I have not seen a card with all three. There may be one. Someone who frequents this board will know if there is.

Art Mar 16th, 2001 08:09 AM

Hi Cozaar, I was in Budapest and Prague 1 1/2 years ago and found ATM's everywhere. As mentioned you MUST have a 4 digit pin. PLUS and CIRRUS are accepted in most ATM's. Many of the ATM's give you a choice of languages but even those that don't are fairly easy to use.

Lesley Mar 16th, 2001 08:41 AM

You are getting good answers re: ATM but I didn't see anything about your VISA question...can't speak for other places but you won't have a problem with it in Austria