Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Restaurant recs. for Lake Como, Lugano, Jungfrau, Montreaux

Old Apr 24th, 2000, 06:29 PM
Fred

I'll be on my honeymoon this summer and will be in Cernobbio, Lugano, Grindelwald and Montreaux. Anyone have a favorite restaurant in (or around) one of these cities they'd like to recommend? Thanks!

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 08:37 AM
s

Fred,
Can't help w/ Cernobbio (never been) or Lugano (first time trip coming up). But for Montreux I'd suggest the Hostellerie de Geneve on Pl du Marche in Vevey. Great pizza. I got it off the NY Times' Travel section archives: "What's Doing in Vevey." When I'm in Montreux, I usually opt for places with views, not necessaryily gastronomy. One of my best finds was a small auberge down by the lake around Rivaz: take the wine train from Vevey to Chexbres, then walk down to the lake toward Rivaz and then east toward St. Saphorin. This is Swiss wine country, and you'll pass quite a few wineries, cellars, etc. Just find a small place that serves food & enjoy the view.

However, if you're looking for swank, try checking out www.concierge.com (formerly conde naste website), go to "Lausanne & the Alps" section under dining, and see what they recommend. I know there's a fabulous & famous restaurant in Brent (close to Montreux) called Le Pont de Brent that's written up in Fodors. Also think the restaurant/inn L'Ermitage in Clarens has a famous chef, Etienne Krebs -- but the night I tried to go, they were all booked up. When I was making hotel reservations for Sep. 2000, they suggested I make dinner reservations as well. Check it out at www.montreux.ch. There was also a very quaint little place -- flowered rails and a stream nearby -- on the main drag in the old town, but I can't remember the name of it. You might find it by wandering.

In Grindelwald, I usually eat the half-pension at the hotel (which was very, very good!). Sorry I can't help there either. But maybe Fodors or concierge.com can help.

Write if you want more info.

s

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 09:47 AM
Beth Y.

Okay, I don't have a name, but will try to direct you. In Lugano, if you walk in to town on the main road/walk (McD's or Burger Chef or something on left) from the lake, there is a big open courtyard area to your left. There was a music festival going on there when we visited. There will be little cafes along the top of the courtyard. As you just pass the plaza/courtyard area, there will be a walk/road straight ahead with many restuarants and a road to the right. Go right and about a block down you will come to a road that actually takes cars. On your left at the corner will be a wine bar that you have to walk up to get in to. It is an intimate little place. They only have about four dishes a night. We never had a bad meal there, in fact, one night the food was so good, I ordered a second entree! The people are wonderful. If you have a car, let me know and I will go home tonight and get you the name of the high end restaurant that my husband's clients took us to in the country. Hope you find it. Lugano is BEAUTIFUL!

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 11:20 AM
Fred

Thanks for the suggestions!

I will have a car, Beth, so if you remember the Lugano restaurant, let me know.

s -- we're doing half board in grindelwald. hope the food is good!

Old Apr 25th, 2000, 11:38 AM
Dona

Fred,

There is a very special restaurant on an island in Lago di Como, Isola Comacina. The restaurant is called Locanda dell'Isola. I'm sure the hotel can make a reservation - but if you want to make it yourself, here's the number:

011 39 (0344) 56755

Congratulations on your wedding - have a great time...

Dona