Monday day trip to either Reims or Chartres

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 27th, 2019, 07:38 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Trying to organize our short trip to Paris and in the hopes of spacing out our travel days so they are not back to back, it looks like we might have to schedule a day trip to either Reims or Chartres on Monday September 2nd. I have been checking open days/hours and I see the main attractions (and most shops) are open but many restaurants are closed on Mondays in both towns. So how dead are these towns on a Monday? Would one of these be better or worse to do on that Monday? Or does it not matter at all?

As always, thanks for any advice you can offer.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 10:00 AM

It doesn't matter at all.

As for restaurants, the entire city doesn't close up so that no one can eat on Mondays. What difference would some restaurants being closed mean, wouldn't you just need a casual lunch and only one restaurant? Every place isn't closed on MOndays. Reims is a large city. Chartres is smaller, but what do you need to do there, aren't you going to see the cathedral? It will be open as well as the stained glass museum. There really isn't much to do in Chartres, anyway. If you are in Paris, you don't need to go to Chartres to see an art museum, ans it is closed Mondays.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 10:10 AM

I think Reims is more interesting than Chartres (not considering the cathedrals). However, if you like to shop & even "window shop" - most non-food stores will be closed Monday morning. Some will open in the afternoon around 2:30.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 11:18 AM

I haven't been to Reims, so I can't answer your original question (expected to get there in June but it didn't happen). I did just want to suggest that there's more to Chartres than the cathedral, as magnificent as it it. The old town is small but full of charm, and it's an easy walk down to the Eure River, which runs through it. There's a lovely walk along the riverbank, and the old streets are delightful to stroll. There are also some particularly interesting houses. The tourist information office in the rue de la Poissonerie near the cathedral is in one of them--don't miss the fish carvings on the pillars--it was originally a fish market when it was built in the 16th century. The inside is a modern office, but the outside is well worth a look. There's also a house with an enclosed exterior staircase (sorry--don't remember the street).
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 01:22 PM

We walked down to river and along it back to the train in Chartres. It was a lovely walk, but I wouldn't do it on any but a pleasant day. I'm sure there may have been shops but I don't recall any.

Reims is, as said, a large town/city. The cathedral is imposing and if you are interested in champagne, I guess this is your place. However, for me the highlight was the cathedral of St Remi, which is a bus or taxi ride from the main center. Most beautiful cathedral I can recall.

I would say that Reims could be a much longer day than Chartres. In fact, we stayed two nights.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 02:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
The Cathedral of St Remi was beautiful and very close to Taittinger. I loved the caves there. You can schedule an English speaking tour. I asked a bunch of questions so glad he spoke English. We took a cab there from train station but walked back. It was icy but you should be fine walking both ways.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 03:06 PM

It isn't going to matter much. You'll always find somewhere to eat, and if shops are closed it will be in the afternoons (from 2 pm onward, usually).

I actually prefer Chartres to Reims, but I'm not a big fan of Champagne country, so it's all subjective.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 03:22 PM

Although I generally don't do wines and have seen enough cathedrals, Reims got many visits from me because of its magnificent examples of French Art Deco due to the rebuilding of a city damaged heavily by WWI. The tourist office used to have many brochures available for walking tours but I don't know if any are available presently. If French Art Deco is of interest to you a good guidebook would help out here. The Carnegie library is among the incredibles.
Old Jul 27th, 2019, 03:38 PM

The Michelin Green guide suggests two shopping destinations in Reims. Deleans - a chocolatier since 1874, and Fossier a biscuit and chocolate maker since 1756. Deleans is closed all day Monday, and Fossier opens at 14:00 on Monday.

I have a habit of checking opening & closing days at stores in cities. We were in Rouen & Rennes this year, and almost all non-food shops or non-pharmacies were closed Monday morning in both cities. Some - but very few - opened in the afternoon. Chain stores like Monoprix & Pimkie were open all day Monday. We were actually in Vitre on a Monday to tour the chateau. There was only 1 shop open on Monday. About 20 were closed.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 05:43 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone for all the responses. I think there will be enough places open in both cities so we will just do what works out best for us.

Christina - I agree we should be able to find a place to eat. We like to explore the places we visit and I think we will be able to do that no matter what day we go.

Stu - thanks for the info. It's not so much that we are huge shoppers but it is nice to be able to pop in to places if they are open.

frenchaucoeur - thanks for the recommendations. Looking forward to seeing some of the things you mention.

tuscanlifeedit and Macross - We are hoping to visit the Cathedral of St Remi and I see it is open on Mondays. We are planning to spend Monday night in Reims, rent a car for the day on Tuesday and drive some of the Champagne Trail to Epernay before turning it back in at Reims and catching a train back to Paris.

St Cirq - we are not huge champagne fans but we first had Pommery champagne in Rome of all places many years ago and have enjoyed it on a few occasions since then. We hope to visit the Pommery caves early Monday and see the town later in the day.

Envierges - thanks for the info. I'll see what brochures we can find at the tourist office.
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 08:21 AM

If you visit Champagne caves - the ones at Ruinart are spectacular (as is the Champagne).

https://www.cntraveler.com/story/the...caves-in-reims

I have always loved the Cathedral at Reims. Have a great trip.
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

denisea - thanks for the Ruinart recommendation. We are still figuring out what all we want to see and do but I think we are going to like the champagne area a lot. Really looking forward to seeing the Cathedrals at Reims and at Chartres too.
Old Jul 28th, 2019, 08:29 PM

You are planning on visiting both cities??? On Monday??? Please explain!!!.

Reims is nice because of the city architecture. But like StCirq - we are not big fans of the Champagne region. There are MANY more interesting areas in France, IMO.

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 02:38 AM

Maybe I should have clarified my response. I really don't like or drink Champagne, which is a personal choice/preference, but my comment was geared toward "the Champagne region," which I find dull and uninspiring compared to so many more beautiful regions in France. It probably doesn't help that I'm not drawn to French Art Deco stuff as much as I am to really, really old stuff.
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 04:57 AM
Original Poster

Stu - sorry that I was not clear about our plans. We are staying with friends at an apartment in Paris and want to go to the Champagne region on one trip and to Chartres on a different trip. We are just trying to figure out which days to go so that we do not do them on back to back days. I don't think either trip will be hard but we are hoping to relax for at least a day in Paris between them.

StCirq - We would like to see Notre Dame, St Remi, at least one champagne cave and some of the architecture in Reims on one day. Then spend the night in Reims, rent a car and look for a little adventure driving around the country and visiting Epernay on a second day. We usually enjoy driving through vineyards (they should be loaded with grapes when we are there as the vendange isn't scheduled to start until September 10th) and small towns with no real agenda - just go wherever it looks interesting. Hopefully we won't be too disappointed in the champagne area.

Last edited by john183; Jul 29th, 2019 at 05:04 AM.
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 05:10 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Reims (pron rence) is the more interesting of the two especially if you inlcude the Carnegie Library and the Roman Forum. I'd also look at the train across to Epernay over the Montagne de Reims. (possible countryside walk with great views) and after a wander along the Avenue de Champagne train pack to Paris.

I agree with St C the landscape is a bit boring and the weather seldom fantastic but the view from the Montagne and along the canals can be great.
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 10:27 AM
Original Poster

bilbo - I just recently learned the correct way to pronounce Reims - which really surprised me. Thanks for your ideas - especially about the canals - I had not come across them in my research so far. Like I said above, we hope to rent a car for the second day to drive on some small roads through vineyards and small towns on the way to Epernay. One of the courses I can display on my cardio machine to distract me when I'm working out is a champagne country course that looks interesting. Hopefully I won't flash back to my workout routine while I'm driving. LOL. We usually vacation in the spring and have only actually seen ripe grapes on the vine once (Tuscany in 2002) and liked it a lot.
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 11:19 AM

John, it's encouraging to learn that you're not going to call it Reems, as so many do.

And just to clarify, I don't have anything against Reims, per se, it's just that I find the countryside in that area of France rather dull. And not being a fan of either champagne (the drink) or Art Nouveau, there isn't much there that draws me, in comparison to Chartres, which after at least a dozen visits, always thrills.

But I think you've made the choice that best suits you, so enjoy it!
Old Jul 29th, 2019, 12:33 PM

Another nearby town we like & have visited twice is Troyes ( pronounced like the number 3 in French).

Stu Dudley
Old Jul 30th, 2019, 09:48 AM
Original Poster

StCirq - thanks for the well wishes and I totally understand your thoughts about the champagne country. Delta tells me it's 28 days and 1 hour until we leave - but who's counting. Really looking forward to this trip.

Stu - Wow! Another fantastic little town to put on our wish-to-visit list. Thanks.