Amsterdam for family

Old Dec 16th, 2010, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Amsterdam for family

We are 2 adults and 2 girls (15 and 13 years), it is very hard to find a room hotel for 4.
Can you help me find? Our trip is for second week of April 2011.
we are going to stay for 3 to 4 days...what should be must do in amsterdam for us?

thanks
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 02:05 PM

Honestly, you may end up with 2 connecting rooms. Which, given your girls' ages, may not be a bad thing to have the extra space and bathroom. You may have to lower your budget a little to do this...

We did it last year in London and were very happy that we did so. The other option is an apartment - which we have done in Paris. I don't know Amsterdam, but I would think 4 days may be easier than 3 days (to find an apartment) ?
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 04:49 PM

There is no way you could convince me to share a bath with 2 girls that age. We always got my stepdaughters their own room - and it worked out much better. Not just a second bath - but also some alone time for the parents.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 05:15 PM

Try the Bridge Hotel on the Amstel canal, near the Skinny Bridge. We stayed there June this year & found the rooms large, breakfast extensive & staff very helpful. Their website lists family rooms, so you may be in luck. Good location, a little away from the main drag but still close to trams, canal tours the Hermitage museum. I'd certainly use it on my next visit
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 05:28 PM

I can't help on hotels, but to me a must do is the Anne Frank Museum.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 05:48 PM

On our recent trip to Amsterdam with our 12yo daughter, we stayed at Hotel Aalder. We only needed a triple, but they may have family rooms as well. It was a bit of a walk from the Jordaan area, but very close to the museums. We enjoyed watching parents taking their young children to the school right down the street from the hotel, and there's a great bakery at the end of the street.

In terms of must-dos, it depends on your interests. We like art and museums, so our must-sees were the Rijksmuseum, the Van Gogh museum, Rembrandt's house, the Hoytholsenhuis museum and the Amstelkring. And the Anne Frank house.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 05:21 AM

I second the recommendation for the Hotel Aalders. My wife and I stayed there in October and got a complimentary upgrade to their family suite, which is nice. As Lexma90 said, it is close to the musseums and also to a tram stop and a shopping area from which one of the canal boat trips leaves. If you are interested in WWII history, I would suggest the Dutch Resistance Museum, which gives a great feel for what it was like for the average Amsterdam resident to live under the German occupation. Enjoy Amsterdam!
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 07:38 AM

Try Venere.com and look for a family room or quad room. If one is available,they will have it. Must see/must do for us were the Anne Frank House, Van Gogh museum, Rijksmuseum, Dutch Resistance Museum, VondelPark, Canal Cruise, bike ride along the canals in the countryside, Diamond Museum. Amsterdam is very walkable but the trams are handy if need be. There lots of churches to see as well - how much you do will depend on the interests of the girls I'm sure. Perhaps have them look over some guide books and make a list of what they really want to see and do, then intersperse their wishes with yours?
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 07:44 AM

Try B&Bs in Amsterdam. Also Haarlem and Leiden.

A must do is the Keukenhof Garden. See my photo log at http://tinyurl.com/y8hltjl.
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 09:28 AM

Here are a couple that house 4 per room:

http://www.lecoin.nl/indexEN.html 230€

http://www.prinsenhotel.nl/fourroom....044f004e9e48b#
165-210€

http://www.embhotels.nl/en/avenue-ho...meen/home.html
230€

http://www.hoteldemunck.com/rooms-services/
quad/family 179-245€
Old Dec 17th, 2010, 04:29 PM
Original Poster

Woooo thanks all you guys... i have to prepare my pocket

what about must do food? typical
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 06:52 AM

Your kids will probably like the french fries with mayo and the Stroopwafels, pancakes with sweet sauces.

My favorite is raw herring from little stands or in fish markets.

For a good meal try the Luden on Spuistraat.

Some will recommend the rijstafel at Chinese/Indonesian restaurants. Only do that if you like Taco Bell. I can't stand the smell in those places.

For budget eating go to an Albert Heijn and buy some cheese, cold meats, bread, etc and picnic in your room. Dutch cheeses are delicious, and a sample is always offered so you know what you are getting. Dutch bread is also outstanding but it would be better to go to a bakery in the morning for that. You might need to buy a bread knife. Go to the V+D department store for that.
Old Dec 18th, 2010, 03:34 PM

Click on my username to see my trip report re Amsterdam; I noted all of the restaurants and cafes that we enjoyed.

My favorites were the Dutch-style pancakes, poffertjes.
Old Dec 26th, 2010, 02:28 PM

A great solution for accomodations would be to rent a CanalBoat. We did so with our two kids (13 & 9) and they loved it. There are lots of options and price ranges.

Here's a good start. We rented B024

http://www.houseboathotel.nl/
Old Jan 5th, 2011, 02:55 PM
Original Poster

Thanks a lot .....

One more question.. we are travelling from London
By plane is the fastest but going to aiport in london takes time.

what about boats or ferries...which line...there is nothing direct to amsterdam from london

plese help
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 04:05 AM

You can take a train/boat combination or the Eurostar via
the Channel Tunnel... more info here:

http://www.seat61.com/Netherlands.htm
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 04:12 AM

The Hestia has 4 and 5 bedded rooms, though I'd prefer 2 doubles to have the extra bath.Small hotel very near the canals and right nxt to the majot museums. It is small and family run and good for transportation. The rate incudes a very nice breakfast and free internet

http://www.hotel-hestia.nl/roomrates.htm
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 04:31 AM

From London you could fly from City Airport to Amsterdam. Or get the train to Harwich then the ferny and train again in the Netherlands. Neither will be especially cheap though, and the ferry/train option will take longer than flying from one of the other London airports.
Old Jan 6th, 2011, 08:25 AM

Our family of four enjoyed the Hotel Residence le Coin, recommended above: http://www.lecoin.nl/indexEN.html

We had a double room and a twin room, connected. So we had two bathrooms. I think their family rooms for four would be fine, too, if you don't want to pay extra to have two baths. Each room is large and has a small kitchenette.
Old Jan 8th, 2011, 02:31 PM

May I suggest a two floor, 2 bedroom multi bath unit with all conveniences (even washing machine with dryer) near Leidsepein. Go to VRBO.com and enter 62234. I will be staying above that apartment next month for 10 nights. It is privately owned, and perfect location to keep your teenagers happy and interested.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -