Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mom and kids in Ireland for 5 days without driving?

Old Apr 26th, 2006, 11:27 PM
Original Poster

I'll be in Ireland with my 13 and 11 year olds this summer for about 5 days. I'd prefer not to rent a car.

Is this possible? Would we pretty much have to stay in a city (Dublin, Cork)? Would staying in Dublin for 5 days be too long? Would we miss too much by not moving around? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 12:26 AM

I would spend two days in Dublin and three in Killarney. You can get the train between both places. There is a lot for kids to do in Killarney. derostours.com has many day trips from Killarney.
Old Apr 27th, 2006, 05:06 AM
Original Poster

Thank you IrishEyes. I'll look into Killarney and derostours.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 04:02 AM
Original Poster

Does anyone think Cork or Galway would be worth a couple of days, instead of Killarney? It is a short train ride to these places. Thanks.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 05:47 AM

We loved our time in Killarney. There was too much to do and not enough time. Plenty of tours and activities to choose from and absolutely beautiful.
I found Cork more industrial and we only visited Blarney Castle which is outside of Cork and slept there. Well, not much sleeping. We enjoyed their pubs.
Don't know about Galway.
I agree with IrishEyes. 2 days in Dublin is enough and the rest in Killarney.
Old Apr 29th, 2006, 07:17 AM

BusEireann runs daytrips out of Cities both Cork and Galway. They even have one tat comes up to the Cliffs of Moher from Cork: Check http://www.BusEireann.ie for what days they run.

One thing I like about Galway: In the Summer they have Matinee Trad Irish Music sessions in several of the Pubs in the pedestrian area. Some of the performers didn't look much older than early teens, so I woud guess your 11-and-13 year olds woud be alowed to sit at a table and enjoy the music, especially if you're dining.

I don't know what kind of accomodation BusEireann makes for children (i.e., discounted fares) on their daytrips.

I aven't been to Killarney so I can't comment on that except to say BusEireann has daytrips there, ROK and te Gap of Dunloe from Cork City.