Mom and daughter :-) sojourn to Northern Italy

Search

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2012, 08:34 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Taking my daughter (23) on a last min trip. We're flying into Milan on Aug. 15 and then leaving from same on Aug.23. Thinking about train travel or perhaps a tour? So uncertain! Any assistance from seasoned travelers would be sooo greatly appreciated. Last min. journeys can be fun, but planning is a huge challenge. Will let you know if we are still on speaking terms upon return...
Old May 20th, 2012, 08:38 PM
Original Poster

In addition, having trouble even deciding on which destinations. Too many wonderful choices. (Wow! What a super problem to have)
Old May 20th, 2012, 09:01 PM

So, what are the questions you have to Fodor's Forum?

The people can not suggest something if they do not know what you want to see, visit, where you will stay, how you will travel (car, train..)?

Try to make an itinerary and then come here and ask specific questions.
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:09 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Depending on when your flights arrive and depart, you may wish to spend the first and/or last nights in Milan. But if you think you'll be in OK shape when you land, you could immediately head to your first destination. Either way, I wouldn't choose more than two places other than Milan, and I would stick to northern Italy.

I agree with valtor that the initial decisions (where, how) are yours to make. Have you perused any guidebooks?
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:18 PM
Original Poster

OK, more specific questions: 1st-Would it be best to arrange our own hotel/transfers, or let a tour company such as Perillo, etc. make the plans for us? Which companies have you used and would recommend? Are there any tour companies that would not be suitable for us? Our dates cannot be changed and my searches did not produce any group tours leaving from the Milan area during our time period. Ease and convenience are important in this planning phase. I think Venice would be a necessary stop, but where to after that? I have read mixed reviews about Lido beach, but she likes water and sand. Is that worth a visit? My daughter would not be too keen on spening much time in museums. We are considering the lake region. Would that be a decent idea and if so, which lake should we stay near-Como, Maggiore or Lugano? We don't need super-luxorious hotels, but would like air conditioned rooms. Any comments would be greatly appreciated!
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:27 PM
Original Poster

Yes, I have been reading voraciously. I only wish we had more time, as narrowing down our itinerary is difficult. It helps to hear that we should limit our excursions. That's probably much more realistic.
Old May 20th, 2012, 10:38 PM

Hi Abigail, I would suggest you visit the lakes, maybe 3 nights in Venice if u have not been the before followed by 5 around lakes, I think to fit in another place may be pushing it. Hopefully your flight home is in the late afternoon or evening as I would try and avold spending 2 nights in Milan unless u have to. I would also normally suggest to book direct with places . Have a great trip
Old May 20th, 2012, 11:20 PM

Bergamo, close to Milan (easy train) is a lovely walled city up on a hill, with a very Italian feel to it. There is a stunning certosa (Carthusian monastery) at Pavia just outside Milan as well that would be easy to reach. Your daughter might also like to see Verona with its Romeo and Juliette balcony. 15th August is Italy's major public holiday, by the way (ferragosto)so shops, etc. will be closed and there'll probably be lots of festivities. When you're in Milan, go and have an aperitif along the canals. Your daughter will love it - it's a real young people's scene. Just don't forget the mosquito repellant!
Old May 21st, 2012, 12:09 AM

You already received some good advices.
I sugegst you to book the hotels using www.booking.com or www.venere.com. It is very easy.
You can take the train from Milan to Venice, spend there 3-4 days and then go to lakes. I would go to Maggiore, at Stresa. From here it is very easy to visit all Boromean Islands (do not miss Isola Bella) and Villa Taranto with its splendid gardens. You can buy a boat ticket for a day, to visit all these.

An advantage of Stresa is that from there you can take the bus directly to airport (you have to make a reservation one day before departure; your hotel can help with this).

From Stresa you can go by train to Milan, to visit it for one day.

Have a nice vacation!
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:33 AM

Hi Abigail,

My daughter and I(age 27 at the time) LOVED this place in Bellagio.

www.residencelalimonera.com

There is availability from August 20th on,so you could go at the end of your trip. It's easy to get back to Milan.

Have a great trip!
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:38 AM

We need facts!
When do you arrive and depart?
Which Milan airport
Have you seen northern Italy before?

I would see 2 destinations that time---Venice and Lago Maggiore would be my picks.
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:41 AM

I think the suggestion to visit Venice and the lakes is a great one. You can arrange for your hotels (let us know what kind you prefer and you will get lots of suggestions from Fodorites). By all means, stay in Venice proper. Do NOT stay on Lido - it is nothing special and would pretty much be a waste of your time getting to and from the sights of Venice.

As August is a busy time in Italy, make your hotel reservations as soon as possible.
Old May 21st, 2012, 07:39 AM

I would describe the beaches in the Lido as more like mud than sand, in color certainly and in its very fine texture. But maybe I was in the wrong part of the beach.
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:21 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Look at a map. Yoiu will see Milan on the left and Venice on the right. Between the two and at a 45 degree angle south is the PO valley. This area has many ancient cities with great museums, catherdrals, discos, shops, beaches and pools. If doing this with google almost any city is worth a visit but the top ones are Venice (going to be busy), Verona (guess), so if you like the crowds you could do the lakes, pop into Verona and then Venice and the beach.

Or you could do the other cities Bergamo (amazing upper town)
Padua (let shakespeare be your tour guide), Ferrara (very underestimated city), Ravenna for the beaches, and Red Bologna for the buildings, Europe's oldest university and the kms of covered walkways.
Old May 21st, 2012, 08:40 AM

I am also going to Italy with my daughter (25) in August. We are flying into Rome and out of Venice with a few days in Florence. We decided to mix some non typical things in with the museums and churches and historic sites. We have booked a cooking class one day and hired a driver to take us into the Tuscan countryside another to visit olive oil farms and wineries. I think we may also go to the beach on one of our Venice days.
Hopefully by mixing it up a bit we won't suffer from cathedral overload, and will have a great time.
Old May 21st, 2012, 06:59 PM
Original Poster

Arriving Malpensa 11:30 a.m.
Departing same airport 10:00 a.m.
My gratitude for all of your reponses. Your passion for travel reaches across the wires (or wireless, whatever the case may be).
Additionally, thanks for the info. regarding Lido. Sounds as if NJ might have more interesting beaches. And it's much closer. I'll def. skip that one.
This will be my daughter's second trip to Italy, though her last one (and mine) was 12 years ago. My father is actually a native of the sweet little town of Vinchiaturo, in the Molise region. Though not in any tour book, it is a snapshot of a small town with one of the most precious, thought provoking statues you will ever encounter- The Emigrant. A few years ago, my daughter received a scholarship from the Society of the Vinchiaturesi. My dad was beaming with pride.
We visited with my family on our last trip and simply do not, at the moment, have the time to do it again. Next trip. Never-the-less, my hope is that Emily will come away with a better understanding of the beauty, culture, and history of our people.
I'm willing to do most anything. My daughter is a fun-loving full time law student.
In any case, I love all the wonderful ideas, and am still attempting to come up with an itinerary.
But for now, has anyone had a positive experience with a hotel (airconditioned) in a nice part of Milan, within close proximity of the train station? I have been in touch with several, but am finding the availability is not there. We must all read the same books!
Old May 22nd, 2012, 07:27 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No you do not want to stay next to the station, a very tough zone. Stay up by the Opera and catch a tram.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:51 PM
Original Poster

Good suggestion biboburgler. We are, after all, two gals going solo. Thanks. I only wish La Scala was not quiet in Aug.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 02:57 PM
Original Poster

Jean, Bobthenavigator, Hg001London, My daughter agrees with you. Does not want to spend all of our time on the train.
Old May 22nd, 2012, 03:00 PM
Original Poster

AussieFrance, Yes, this is Emily's idea of the perfect vaca. This is the first 'must' on her 'to do' list.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -