Mom & Daughter France-Italy train trip

Old Feb 10th, 2015, 06:26 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mom & Daughter France-Italy train trip

Hi there,
I am planning a trip to Italy and France for me and my 13 year old.. first time for us both. I'd like to see parts of France (not particular about where) and Italy (Venice, Verona, Parma, Cinque Terre, Pisa). We have two weeks and would be travelling by train for the most part. Can start and end pretty much anywhere - I'm open. Would like to experience the countryside in France if possible. We're going in August. Could you suggest an itinerary?
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 07:13 AM

Does the 2 weeks include travel time to Europe [assuming you don't live in Europe]?

Whatever you end up doing; fly into one city to start and fly out of your last city [openjaw].

Trains take a lot to your time - consider flying between destinations, it MAY BE cheaper and faster. Use skyscanner.com to find low cost air carriers. Do keep in mind that they carry on bag size and allowance tends to be less/smaller than US carriers.

Last bit of general advice - pack LIGHT. One 20" rolling carry on bag each. Perhaps a backpack for your daughter and a large purse/messenger bag for you as your "personal item" [note some low cost carriers only allow 1 bag in total!! ]

Travel light is a necessity, especially if you end up on lots of trains. You need to be able to lift those bags yourself - up and down- on trains and often the stops aren't for that long a time
[5 minutes or less]
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 07:29 AM

With two weeks, just covering the 5 destinations in Italy will be plenty. Save France for your next trip.
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 07:36 AM

Hi WendyPGreene,

As you continue to research your trip and travel options, be sure to include these time eaters when flying:

Time to get to the airport (usually around an hour)
Time waiting at the airport (I believe it is 90 minutes for an intra-Europe flight)
Time to fly (60 to 90 minutes?)
Time to wait for your bags (20 minutes?)
Time to get into your new city or new destination (again around an hour)

Generally speaking, I think a train trip has to be more than 8 hours long for me to even consider flying -- and travelling by train is far more relaxing imo.

btw, I am a 60-year-old, skinny, short woman, and I don't really have any problems travelling with a 24-inch suitcase. There is usually room at the ends of the train cars or between the seats for luggage. I use ramps or escalators or elevators when available.

Have fun as you plan!

s
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 07:43 AM

all valid points swandav2000 but if they do only carry on, they wouldn't have to wait for luggage. I admire you for your ease with a 24" but remember the daughter is 13 and may have a way harder time with a bigger sized suitcase.
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 07:51 AM
Original Poster

Thanks everyone... definitely want to use the trains - it's just personal preference. Italy alone is an option too... And yes, 2 weeks including flying from Canada, so really 10 days there.
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 08:06 AM

You could do Paris and Venice and Rome perhaps - there is an overnight train Paris to Venice (www.thello.com) to save time and the cost of a hotel - for lots of great stuff on French and Italian trains I always spotlight these IMO superb sources: www.seat61.com.com - great info on discounted tickets in each country; www.ricksteves.com and www.budgeteuropetravel.com. There is a France-Italy railpass but with such a limited number of train rides it will not be worth it.
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 11:44 AM

So really only 10 days? Then choose one or the other - Italy or France - and choose not more than three stops (places where you will be spending the night).

OR

Choose two cities, one in France, one in Italy and spend all of your time in those two places, with possible day trips from each base.
Old Feb 10th, 2015, 11:55 AM

Can't help you with France but for Italy: Go to Venice for as long as you like, and enroute to Parma by train, make a stop in Verona. Spend 2 nights in Parma, and then proceed to le Cinque Terre -- but make a stop in Pisa.

Or you can do this pretty much the other way around.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 07:39 AM

The overnight Thello train is a bit of an adventure, and not in the positive sense of the word. If you opt for that, bring your own food and beverages aboard, including bottled water for brushing your teeth. When I took the train, the sink in the bathroom as a sign saying the water was not potable. The beds were comfortable enough, but don't expect the Orient Express.

The Thello train leaves Paris at around 8 PM and arrives in Venice at about 9:30 AM, essentially giving you a full day in each city, and saving you a night in a hotel. If you buy the tickets well in advance, you can get very good prices, but only if you are willing to sleep in a 4 or 6 person couchette car with strangers. You can request a all-women couchette. If you want a two-person cabin, you have to pay full price, which would be over €300 for two people.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 10:07 AM
Original Poster

Thanks!!

Thinking flying into Florence, spending 3 nights, train to Cinque Terre region for 2 nights, train to Verona for 2 nights and last 3 nights in Venice.

But now, thank you Kathie, I'm thinking that choosing 2 cities - one in France, the other in Italy may be a good option too. Decisions, decisions!
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 11:24 AM

The France-Italy option obviously needs a day to go between the two - unless you take the Thello overnight train of course.
Old Feb 11th, 2015, 11:51 AM

I would skip Cinque Terre in August, it will be slammed. I was there in April and it was wall to wall people. Unless you stay somewhere nicer close to Cinque Terre like Santa Margherita Ligure but with the short amount of time you have I'd give CT a miss.

I'd put more time in Venice and Florence. However if you are thinking one city in France and one in Italy how about Paris and Venice and fly between them. I have taken that overnight train from Venice to Paris….never again! It was an adventure and not of the good kind!

Whatever you choose to do, enjoy!