Mom & college grads trip to Italy-planning statge

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 20th, 2003, 06:55 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm planning a trip for me and my twin college graduates next May for ten days, and don't want to do a packaged tour with old folks on a bus. We want to see as much as possible. Interested in art, hiking, possible train travel to adjoining country. Suggestions?
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 08:51 AM

The sky is the limit as to where to go in Euorpe, it really depends on what your interests are. IMO, you can hit the major cities and do them on your own, you don't need a tour. It is easy to get from place to place by train, or by air for longer distances.

As you are interested in hiking as well, you might enjoy one of the walking holidays in Italy and other parts of Europe offered by ATG Oxford Tours, a UK operator. The hiking is good, not too strenuous, and some of their tours have lectures for sights or special interests, like cooking. Groups are small and congenial, and there are often younger people on them as well. You can also use one of their self-tour options and hike on your own while they move your luggage and take care of hotel bookings. Take a look at http://www.atg-oxford.co.uk. I highly recommend this group. You could do Paris, Rome, Venice, etc on your own and then join the walking tour for a look at the countryside.

Another great walking guide are the sunflower series on hiking all over Europe. I first heard about them on this site and have used their Amalfi coast book. Their website is http://www.sunflowerbooks.co.uk/walking_titles.htm
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 09:14 AM

I would suggest flying into and out of Rome. Rent an apartment in Rome in the Campo di Fiori neighborhood. Here's one suggested list of how to spend ten days in Rome and meet your needs(each day's itinerary should include going out to a different neighborhood each night):
1) Vatican art / Castle St. Angelo 2) Hiking the Appian Way 3) day trip via train to Ostia Antica 4) Exploring your neighborhood (Pantheon, other churches, museums, Piazza Navona, shopping) 5)Ancient Rome and associated museums 6) day trip via train to Hadrian's villa 7) Borghese Museum and hiking/biking through park 8) Tiber Island/Trastevere/Janiculum Hill park 9)day trip to Pompeii 10) day to do some of the million things you've missed. In addition to the food/sights/clubs, your two grads will love the many opportunities for someone their age to blow off some steam. You won't need a guide for any of this.
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 09:22 AM

You could have a mediterranean tour between the italian seaside and the french cote d'azur, arriving in Milan, moving to Turin, Genoa- heading west toward Nice
Old Oct 20th, 2003, 09:26 AM
Degas

Florence (4 nights), Dolomites (3 nights) and Venice (3 nights).

Old Dec 1st, 2003, 11:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks to all for your suggestions! I've been watching and reading for a month now, and booked our trip last week. We're flying into Zurich, staying one night, taking the train to Venice, staying 3 nights, train to Florence, staying 3 nights, train to Rome, staying 3 nights, then flying back to US from there. I'll be going with lots more confidence, having catalogued all the helpful suggestions found here. Thanks!!
Old Dec 1st, 2003, 01:28 PM
ira

Hi Mom,

You might find this thread useful:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34443340
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 10:25 AM
Original Poster

Ira,
Thanks again - I had already found this, copied it into Excel, then after some manipulation, I sorted it by topics "train" "hotels", etc. It's my own personal travel guide for Italy!
Old Dec 2nd, 2003, 12:26 PM
ira

Happy to help, Mom