Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mom and 9-year old - Starting to gather info for a one week trip to London in February...

Mom and 9-year old - Starting to gather info for a one week trip to London in February...

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:32 AM
Diana

I'm considering taking my daughter to London for a week the 1st week of February. I'm looking for advice on places to stay, B&B's, inexpensive hotels, near public transportation.

We'd like to go to the theatre, museums, etc. Any initial advice you could provide on a suitable location to stay to get me started on my research would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:55 AM
David White

Diana,

First, a word of encouragement: London is a great place to take a 9 year-old. My son was 5 and my daughter was 10 when I first took them to London (and they love the city).

Inexpensive, centrally-located, quality lodging is a challenge though. Generally, I suggest that you stay in as central a location as you can manage. That avoids a daily commute into the central city to see the sights.

This board has lots of info and opinions about accomodations in London. One "budget" spot that has gotten high marks for convenience and cost is the Travel Inn County Hall--located next to the London Eye, right across the river from Parliament. About £80 per night for a modern, if uninspired hotel room. For info:

http://www.travelinn.co.uk

Feel free to email me directly with questions about planning your trip to London.

David White
http://www.KidsToLondon.com

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:05 AM
Barb

First off there are tons of great deals around that are likely to go thru February so gear up and do some homework. I bet your daughter will love to get involved in the research as well. I have stayed in a couple of the hotels that are old row houses near the tube station White Hall(spelling). they were clean and comfortable but not overly luxurious. Some major hotels are offering special, check online. I know that Starwood has some pretty good points and dollar deals if you are a member of the SPG program. I am and have had many a free night based on my business traveling. I also stayed at the Marlborough on a splurge it was a nice walk to all the high end shopping. Maybe split you stay to two different hotels so you can see different part of the city. Departures Magazine has their most recent issue devoted to London. It's a high end book but has a lot of info packed into it.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:06 AM
pj

I am taking my 11 year lod son to London. First trip for both of us to London.
We are on a budget also, we are staying at the Burn Hotel. Lots of good feedback. It is 95 gpb, in S. Kesington.

We are also taking the eurostar to Paris. I know Paris, but I need more info on London too.
PJ

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 11:47 AM
Diana

Thanks David, Barb and PJ.

You've given me the initial start I needed. I really like your webpage, David. Lots of great info there.

I'll be checking out your recommendations. Thanks again.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 03:41 PM
starspinners

Hi Diana,
I have topped 2 threads from a woman named Stephanie who took her 11 year old son to London last year. One thread is called " Thrilled to be going to London" and her follow up is " Thrilled to have gone to London"
I think you will find a lot of info on these threads.. and Stephanie wrote a charming travelogue.
Have fun with your daughter . *S*

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 05:37 PM
Nancy

You might consider an apartment for a week. I stayed at the Nell Gwynne apts in Chelsea/So. Ken and you have the advantage of a small kitchen in case you want to eat in and save some money. There is a Safeway nearby. There are 2 tube stations about a 15 minute walk in either direction so you can go anywhere. Also, a lot of restaurants along Sloane St. and Kings Rd. where the apartments are located. I found it very convenient and would stay there again. Feel free to e-mail me directly if you want any additional info.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:54 PM
Leslie

Diana - that "Thrilled to go to London" thread was great.

I stayed at the Burns Hotel this past February and liked it alot. Nice cozy place with lovely decor. My kids weren't with me but I know they'd have loved the huge buffet breakfast in a lovely breakfast room. Just note, they claim to be in S.Kensington but are really closest to the Earl's court tube stop. Easy to reach on the underground from London for cheap as it's a direct connect. Anywhere in central London near a tube stop will be convenient, though but if you really want to be closer to museums and theatre, then I'd look to stay closer to Covent Garden or Trafalgar Sq areas. Got a very good rate on the hotel through www.hotel-assist.com. Here are some other websites:

www.londontown.com
www.visitbritain.com
www.londontouristboard.co.uk

For theatre tickets, reasonable fees:

www.ticketmaster.co.uk

for finding B & B's outside of London:

www.smoothhounds.com

General info on what to see and do:

www.fodors.com - destination guides.
www.frommers.com
www.about.com - travel/travel with kids/Europe section

With a whole week, I'd consider a trip to Bath by bus, or a trip to Windsor or to Cambridge by train just to experience something outside of London. It's hard to rent a car unless your daughter could navigate for you.

Old Oct 2nd, 2002, 10:57 PM
Leslie

Correction... I meant to say the Burns Hotel is easy to reach from Heathrow airport on the tube.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 04:48 AM
Regular

Regarding Stephanies "Thrilled to go to London"-
She and her son are in London again!
So I expect we will be entertained by this years visit which should include a day trip to Bath.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 04:55 AM
topper

I topped the two Thrilled to be going to London threads for you.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 05:56 AM
Diana

Thanks all!

I've printed out the two threads you mentioned. The apartment idea sounds great!

This is going to be fun to research. I went to London myself 15 years ago, but it's like I'm going again for the first time. Thanks for all the great advice.

Old Oct 3rd, 2002, 02:10 PM
Diane

I am taking my 10 year old daughter to London in February. We are staying at the Radisson Moutbattan in Covent Garden. I wanted to be close to the theatre. I bought a great book for my daughter it is a DK Kid's London book that I found on amazon.com. She read the entire book and made a list of things that she wants to see. Chitty Chitty Bang Bang will be one of the musicals that we will be seeing while in London. We used ticketmaster.uk.com last time we were in London for theatre tickets.

Hope that you have a great trip!!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 06:36 AM
Diana

How far in advance do you recommend purchasing theater tickets? "Chitty" is on our list of plays to see, too!

Old Oct 4th, 2002, 08:25 AM
Diane

Because I want to get the best seats possible, I will book my tickets 2 months before we go on ticketmaster. I have not used any other ticketing agency, although I have read about others.

The other musicals that my daughter wants to see are Mama Mia and My Fair Lady.

Old Nov 14th, 2004, 02:58 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was just in london this weekend and on saturday you were able to get half price tickets to chitty.c.b.b.( and many many more. we even got half price tickets to jerry springer the opera on saturday night. so unless it is a new play, there was a LOT to get half price.
i don't know if i would order tickets in advance at full price.
also, going mid week will help . there are matinees on wed and sat for most plays.

p.s. nathan lane just took over richard dreyfuss in "the producers". it got great reviews. we were unable to get tickets, though for saturday.

we stayed at the white house melia, (visit website www.solmelia.com) and had three different buses that took us in to picadilly area in a few minutes. the great portland tube stop is across the street also. plus a tesco express and a few fun restuarants/pubs.we even walked back at night after theater when we weren't tired. the buffet breakfast was excellent but probably very expensive unless it comes as a package.

regent's park was around the other corner. you might be able to get a good rate on internet.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 03:16 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just a note, this original thread was posted Oct. 2002 not 2004. Just wanted to comment so posters don't waste their time answering a 2 year old thread.
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 03:23 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
With all the recommendations with things to do, I'll just let you know where I stayed during my visit to London.
It was a B&B called the Monopole.
I thought the place was great.
By no means is it a 3,4, or 5 star hotel, but it was a great place to lay my head. The staff was great and the breakfast was filling.
Here is the website:
http://www.monopolehotel.freeserve.co.uk

Good luck! You and your daughter will have an excellent time!
Old Nov 14th, 2004, 03:31 PM

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey LoveItaly - good intentions, but for naught, eh?
This is proof that a lot of people don't read anything but the original post, and even then not very well.