Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

mom and 14 yr. old daughter in Provence- Arles? Walking tour? Suggestions?

Feb 18th, 2004, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

I will have a week to spend in Provence with my daughter. We both enjoy hiking, swimming, exploring, art and adventure. After reading all your raves about Le Calendal in Arles, I am considering making that a base for our outings. Could we make daytrips without a car? Am also considering an inn to inn walking tour,has anyone ever taken one of these and is it worth it or is it just as easy to plan one ourselves?
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:05 AM

Hi
I haven't been there in a while, but Arles is a great place. It can be very crowded in summer, not that you shoudn't go then. Avignon also makes a great base, it is larger and has more direct train connections I think; I loved both of them.
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:10 AM

We loved Arles but did have a car. I know there is a train station in town but I'm unfamiliar with the schedule. It was a great base to visit all the other town and had more character than Avignon, which is nice but has more of a city feel.
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:13 AM

You will love the Calendal. We first heard about it when we met a french couple in a bookstore in Arles. We had a car so I can't help you with the hiking part but can suggest a great book for walks. "Village France." by AA publishing.
Feb 18th, 2004, 11:39 AM

For inn to inn walking tour, perhpas you could check:www.inntravel.co.uk. I haven't traveled with them; but, from several newspapers, seems quite reputable.

Or you could obtain walking brochures (such as Van Gogh Trail)from local toruist centre. It is possible to do several daytrips by bus/train. For instance, you could take bus to Les Saint Marie de la Mer (one hour), and hiking/boating around the Camargugue.
Or bus to Les Beaux to see the ruins,then walk down to Saint-Remy,it is a lovely,easy walk.

For more information,"The independent Walker's Guide to France"by Frank Booth and "Walking in France" by Lonely Planet,both are quite helpful.
Feb 18th, 2004, 12:04 PM

The walk down from Les Baux to St.-Rémy is indeed beautiful (and downhill, too), but I wonder how many miles it covers. By car it takes us a little under half an hour.
Feb 18th, 2004, 01:07 PM
sandi

Underhill -

>>The walk down from Les Baux to St.-Rémy is indeed beautiful (and downhill, too), but I wonder how many miles it covers. By car it takes us a little under half an hour<<

From our hotel in St.Remy to/from L'oustau de Beaumaniere where we had dinner, we did 24-miles round trip. And yes, even the 12-miles one way can take close to half-an-hour because of the winding roads.

Feb 18th, 2004, 01:33 PM

The G6 Trail goes from Les Baux to St.Remy (through Glanum). Past vineyards, olive groves, etc. Awesome!!!!
JoeG
Feb 19th, 2004, 05:24 AM
Original Poster

Thank you so much for all your relplies. Joe, would you mind telling me approx. how much time it would take to walk the G6 Trail from Les Baux to St. Remy? It sounds spectacular! I can't wait to be in Provence!!!!
Feb 19th, 2004, 10:28 AM

artbeat,
Depending on your pace, it shouldn't take more than a couple of hours. It's really eerie hiking through the woods and coming upon two thousand year old ruins.
The trail from St. Remy towards Eygalieres is even more scenic.
JoeG
Feb 20th, 2004, 06:54 AM

Artbeat -

An inn to inn walking tour is a great idea. One thing I always find amazing about the Luberon is how many gorgeous villages there are one right after the other. And yet each has its own special character. I'm sure with a bit of planning you could organise an fantastic tour.

Jim
Mar 7th, 2004, 01:37 PM

If you're still looking for info, request the "outdoor activities guide" for Vaucluse [email protected]. I have this guide for cycling and I just looked at it for your hiking and it has numeraous routes, listing kms, avg time, markings, what you'll see, etc.. or go to the website www.provenceguide.com. For other areas on sports and leisure, try provenceweb.com. Happy hiking.