Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Mom + 3 kids looking for relaxing Euro town while we wait for dad.....

Mar 12th, 2011, 07:12 AM
Original Poster

My three girls (fantastic travellers) age 4,8,10, are looking for a relaxing beach town to wait it out for 8 days while my husband does business in India. He will then join us for the rest of our trip(I think we will go to Paris only for 8-10 days. Rent an apartment.)
Could anyone please suggest a safe, low key, beach town? Many thanks!!!
Mar 12th, 2011, 07:19 AM

What time of year?
Mar 12th, 2011, 07:23 AM
Original Poster

Some time this summer or early fall
Mar 12th, 2011, 07:24 AM
Original Poster

How about Sardinia?
Mar 12th, 2011, 07:30 AM

for dependably warm swimming weather you have to go south to Mediterranean or Bordeaux area of Atlantic.

Late summer is very hectic time at French seaside resorts but right after Sept 1 or the last weekend in Aug things clear out and there are many nice beaches - I'd try to get one near things of interests like old forts or castles too. You could certainly do worse than the Anglet area near Bourdeaux or beaches near the town of Perpignan lik famous Carnet-Plage - just what you are looking for.

To economize you could look to rent a furnished caravan in one of the many many Campings - campgrounds near the beach - rent by week and it is like moving into a French family neighborhood - actually families from all over Europe - kids play areas, piscines (swimming pools) lots for kids, etc. These abound.
Mar 12th, 2011, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

When you say camp ground do you mean in a tent? Are there bungalows? How do I find this?
Mar 12th, 2011, 07:51 AM

There are furnished bungalows and what Europeans call caravans - trailers - my French son and his friends rented one in Canet-Plage a few years back - just Google Campings and the Locality - but no you are not in tents - and camps have IME excellent showers, snack shops, groceries but most importantly tons of other kids.
Mar 12th, 2011, 07:56 AM

Camping Mar Estang*** - [ Translate this page ]A 100 mètres de la plage de sable fin, entre la mer et l'étang, le Canigou en toile de fond, le Camping Club Mar Estang à Canet-plage-en-Roussillon, ...
www.marestang.com/ -

For example I Googled Canet-Plage and Campings and this one comes up - site shows the mobile houses they rent out - furnished and all - there are zillions of these all over southern France.
Mar 12th, 2011, 08:00 AM
Original Poster

WOW!!!! Just looked into the campings!!! Looks perfect! Are they safe?
Mar 12th, 2011, 08:01 AM
Original Poster

Thank you PalenQ!!!!
Mar 12th, 2011, 08:12 AM

When my son, who grew up in France, was young we stayed in zillions of such campings the French word for campground - but very few folks stay in tents - and yes IME they are very safe - in all the years I never had anything stolen, etc. That said I am very careful with my valuables - would not leave say my moneybelt laying around when I went to the sea, etc.

These are mainly family-type places that is like moving into the neighborhood.

And a TGV train to southern France will only take a few hours from or to Paris - you could even take an overnight train for that experience -my son loved those when young too.
Mar 12th, 2011, 09:08 AM

Hi Kate

Living in England we have often spent holidays in France, and when the children were young there was nothing better for them than staying on a campsite - albeit in a caravan or cabin. I do not do tents! We only stayed in Brittany as it was less driving time from the ferry ports, but there are campsites all over France.

We used to book with Matthews...

http://www.matthewsfrance.co.uk/

but larger companies doing this sort of thing are www.eurocamp.co.uk and www.keycamp.co.uk

These companies offer slightly more modern accommodation but their prices are accordingly higher. They also run good kids' entertainment sessions.

Another time we stayed in a log cabin by a lake on a campsite not far from Dol-de-Bretagne. However when trying to find the website I keep getting redirected to another website offering cheap flights to Thailand!

These tend to be family holidays, but I went several times as a single mum, and always found it absolutely fine. There is always a decent pool on site, playgrounds, entertainment in the evenings, a shop - your two oldest could go each morning to buy 'quatre croissants s'il vous plait' - my girls loved doing this. They are very safe places, the children make lots of friends and play around while you sip wine with other parents!
Mar 12th, 2011, 10:45 AM

you could spend more and use www.gites-de-france.com. If you chose a town you will find the town web site will get you cheaper smaller units

I like Ile de Re
Mar 14th, 2011, 07:12 AM

julie t's post above echoes my experiences with kid in town in these places - great for kids and great for parents, who can let tykes go to kids games area or swimming pool, etc and relax a bit themselves. Really like moving into a French neighborhood though there will be families from all over Europe, including many Brits so kids can talk with other kids.
Mar 14th, 2011, 10:51 AM

Eurocamp also have sites in Sardinia.

In fact, I googled it, and there are numerous other companies offering the same thing.

www.selectcamp.co.uk is one, another is http://www.camp-sites.co.uk/canvas_h...y/sardinia.htm and your question has been asked at mumsnet...

http://www.mumsnet.com/Talk/general_...a/AllOnOnePage

Good luck, this type of holiday is brilliant for kids. It may not be quite whet you as an adult would choose, but it is so great for the children you don't really mind.
Mar 14th, 2011, 10:52 AM

Oh, and when you see a reference to 'animations', that just means entertainment of some sort!