Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Europe
Reload this Page >

Moderate priced hotel recommendations in Knightsbridge area of London

Old Aug 10th, 1997, 05:30 PM
tyler anastasia

My wife and I are about to visit London for the first time in September. We'd appreciate any recommendations/experiences with charming hotels in the Knightsbridge/Kensington areas. We're looking for hotels in the 80-150 pound price range.

Has anyone stayed at the Pelham, Basil Street, or Beaufort?

Thank you.

Old Aug 12th, 1997, 02:58 PM
Neal Sanders

My wife and I stayed at the Beaufort while in London over Thanksgiving and found it to be a wonderful hotel with superb service and beautifully appointed rooms. However, it was well above L140, more like L200 including breakfast. It was, however, part of Transmedia at the time and we got a 20%25 discount (doing so requires booking direct). The Beaufort is one of several hotels on a very peaceful close (dead end street to the rest of the world) about two blocks from Harrods. The Knightsbridge tube station is a five minute walk, there are tons of restaurants nearby, and "the Beach" with its excellent array of restaurants is down Brompton Rd., either a 20 minute walk or a five minute bus ride. If the price of the Beaufort is more than your budget allows (although I recommend it highly), check out Parkes and the Knightsbridge, both on Beaufort Gardens St. along with the Beaufort.

Old Aug 12th, 1997, 04:38 PM
J. Broderick

My husband and I are going to England for two weeks at the end of August and are staying for a week at the Swiss House Hotel on Old Brompton Road in South Kensington, which is convenient to Knightsbridge. Although we haven't stayed there yet, the hotel is recommended by Fodors. A double room with ensuite bath and breakfast is around 70 pounds per night.

Old Aug 16th, 1997, 03:28 PM
Pat

You will find Beaufort and Knightsbridge in the same price range - 190 + Basil Street is even more expensive. There are several small hotels (B & B type) on Pont just a couple blocks away. Pick up "Cheap Sleeps in London" at the book store. You will find many suggestions. The book will list the current price - fax numbers - phone numbers - location and a description of the hotel. Hope this helps e-mail me if you want more information.

Old Aug 16th, 1997, 05:52 PM
Erika

I stayed at the Basil Street a few years ago for 10 days. While the rooms are smallish, the hotel has an Inn type feel, which I enjoyed. Staff and location were great.

Old Aug 16th, 1997, 09:18 PM
mavis

Re: Basil Street hotel - it is probably out of your price range, but it is one of the most perfect places we have ever stayed in. Every couple of years when we travel to England we treat ourselves to one night there. The staff are incredible, they are able to do anything for you. The restaurant is superb, the last time we were there they had a student from the Royal Conservatory playing music during dinner. They have this nifty contraption in the bathrooms that heats your towels - and it is only steps from Harrods. Wonderful place.

Old Aug 16th, 1997, 09:20 PM
mavis

Re: Basil (baasil, not baysil) Street hotel - it is probably out of your price range, but it is one of the most perfect places we have ever stayed in. Every couple of years when we travel to England we treat ourselves to one night there. The staff are incredible, they are able to do anything for you. The restaurant is superb, the last time we were there they had a student from the Royal Conservatory playing music during dinner. They have this nifty contraption in the bathrooms that heats your towels - and it is only steps from Harrods. Wonderful place. We haven't stayed there for awhile, but the Wilbraham was reasonable, not in the same league as the Basil St. but cozy and clean.